34 replies to this topic

#31 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 15266 Thanks
  • 8723 posts

Posted June 16, 2020 - 12:01 PM

Got a soaker hose yesterday and laid it on top of the row hill for the Sweet Potatoes.  Soaked them for about an hour this morning.  Looking good and standing tall.  Put up some chicken wire to keep the darn rabbits out.  Soaking the cabbage, tomatoes,etc. now. 

Carolyn picked up a nice looking bright red tomato from  the grocers store a few days ago.  Sign said home grown from a town near by.  My have been home grown but darn sure was not natural ripened.  Typical gas ripened crap, no flavor and firm all the way through like a green picked tomato.

Edited by chieffan, June 16, 2020 - 01:51 PM.

• Cvans, Vrdaddy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#32 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 15266 Thanks
  • 8723 posts

Posted June 19, 2020 - 07:30 PM

Big Moon pumpkins are looking good.  Both hills of Watermelon are up and that is all I can say.  Keeping them watered good along with 2" high Acorn Squash.  Zuc has a yellow color to it.  Cucs are vineing out and starting up the cattle panel.  Cabbage i doing great and one head will be ready in a week or so.  Broccoli, Cauliflower and Egg Plant are nothing.  Goat feed in the morning.  Sweet potatoes are growing good now.  Standing about 8" tall so will be vineing some before long.  Have a soaker hose laying next to the plants on top of the hilled up row.

• IHCubCadet147 said thank you

#33 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 1165 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 09:01 AM

I'm readjusting my expectations for the garden this year.  We had a high yesterday of 62, and rain from thunder storms dropped us down to the mid 50's.  Was in the mid 40's over night.  I don't think we have hit 80 yet this year. 

This is not the year for the melons or okra.  The cukes, squash, tomatoes and peppers are struggling as it is.  The tomatoes are not even 2 feet tall, but are setting fruit.  The squash are blooming but they are not very big either.  The tallest pole beans are about 8" tall. 

The peas, Brussels sprouts, and potatoes are looking very good.  Our "July" bearing strawberries are starting to come on.  Our row of salad greens is producing more than we can eat.  The rest of the garden is just so so.  I think for much of the garden, we will just run out of summer. 

Regards,

Doug

• IHCubCadet147 said thank you

#34 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 9227 Thanks
  • 7160 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 12:33 PM

I'm readjusting my expectations for the garden this year.  We had a high yesterday of 62, and rain from thunder storms dropped us down to the mid 50's.  Was in the mid 40's over night.  I don't think we have hit 80 yet this year. 

My Son who lives north of Vancouver WA  said his sweetcorn has just about quit growing it's been so cool out there. 

• Doug E. said thank you

#35 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 15266 Thanks
  • 8723 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 07:51 PM

Was down to the garden again yesterday and saw a couple sets of deer tracks on the ground I watered 2 days ago.  Decided this morning to put up the deer deterrent wire.  Just a single run of electric fence wire about 6+ feet above ground over the boundary fence.  Hang old CD's off wires about 6" long, hole in the edge of the CD and a loop in the wire to allow the CD to move freely.   Run the wire through a mulberry tree and couple other trees to cover both of the out sides of the area.  Only took about 1&1/2 hours and that was long enough as it was getting real warm.  Got back to the house and felt something on the side of my head.  Yep, a tick.  Took off my pants and check good - nothing.  Took off my light yellow shirt and had about 2 dozen ticks on the inside.  Shirt was wet from sweat and guess the ticks were content with just staying put.  Sprayed it with a shot of Tempo and hung it out to dry.  Same with the pants.  Got them in this evening and didn't find one tick.  Sure glad they stayed on the inside of my shirt and not on me  ! !  Now if the flash of the CD's will work.

Edited by chieffan, July 01, 2020 - 07:32 AM.

• FrozenInTime and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks