34 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 15303 Thanks
  • 8737 posts

Posted May 02, 2020 - 11:48 AM

Back in the garden again this morning.  Planted the Big Moon Pumpkins for the Grand kids, Mini Pumpkins and Ornamental gourds, Zucchini and the Cantaloupe.  Think I will have to fence the garden this year.  Will CRP all around us the rabbits seem to be a lot more plentiful.  Dog caught 3 young ones by the garden.

• oldedeeres, MNGB and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 15303 Thanks
  • 8737 posts

Posted May 03, 2020 - 03:01 PM

Checked on the price of 1" chicken netting.  Need around 500 feet, price was close to $200 so no fence.

Edited by chieffan, May 04, 2020 - 06:41 AM.

• oldedeeres and MNGB have said thanks

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 15303 Thanks
  • 8737 posts

Posted June 02, 2020 - 02:15 PM

Right after I planted the rest of the garden items it turned off cold, then the rains started.  Now it is going from the 60's to the 90's for day time temps.  Rain for about 3 weeks off and on and cools temps not much came up.  Then 3 weeks ago today I had my gall bladder removed out of necessity.  Needless to say the garden is green with weeks.  Last 3 or 4 days the wind has blew day and night so can't spray it.  Not up to running a tiller or weeder yet.  Carolyn did manage to get about 2 gallons of radish this morning.  Lettuce is a few spears showing through, beet are doing OK, no carrots and several items will need replanting like the watermelon, ornamental gourds and pumpkins, etc.  Did a little outside yesterday and am paying for it today.  Healing is darn slow when your pushing 80.

• oldedeeres and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#19 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 8965 Thanks
  • 8286 posts

Posted June 02, 2020 - 04:06 PM

Hope you recover completly ! Keep us posted on you and the garden 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#20 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 15303 Thanks
  • 8737 posts

Posted June 04, 2020 - 11:28 AM

6:30 CDT this morning was in the garden.  Tilled up a strip to make a16" high ridge to plant 25 sweet potato plants.  Replanted the Watermelon and one hill of acorn squash.  Caught a rabbit eating on the cabbage so dusted them good with bug dust.  Going to have to fence that area I guess.  Hoping they leave the sweet potatoes alone.  Talking rain tonight so when that is over will dust everything again.  After dinner I need to hit the strawberry beds and weed them.  Last 2 years it has been hard to get a garden in and stay ahead of it. Last year it was rain.  This year again lot of rain, cool weather and then my surgery.  Will spray it all again with Round Up and knock the Foxtail then till heck out of it and put the Preen down.

• oldedeeres, MNGB, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#21 boboy OFFLINE  

boboy
  • Member No: 97102
  • 12 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 08, 2020 - 12:18 PM

Roger glad you are doing better it has been a struggle here in Ga with so much rain and rabbits etc eating up the beans and crows pulling up the young corn .Replanted sweet corn three times so far! Seems every year tougher to raise a good garden. Bobby

• MNGB said thank you

#22 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 9242 Thanks
  • 7165 posts

Posted June 08, 2020 - 10:31 PM

crows pulling up the young corn 

Have you tried an owl decoy?  Couple of fence wires running parallel to the row just above the ground hooked to an electric fencer. One on either side should do nicely to discourage the crows and rabbits. 

• MNGB and chieffan have said thanks

#23 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 15303 Thanks
  • 8737 posts

Posted June 09, 2020 - 07:02 PM

First time I had to use a weed wackier to find the cabbage plants today.  With all the rain we had early, then the hot weather, and then me getting laid up and still a long way from up to par the garden is a disaster.  Only way to reclaim it is with weed spray.  Got the broad leafs knocked down but that don't get the Fox tail.  Time to get the round up mixed up.

• Cvans, MNGB, Vrdaddy and 1 other said thanks

#24 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 15303 Thanks
  • 8737 posts

Posted June 12, 2020 - 11:59 AM

Sprayed it all with Round-Up this morning.  No wind so  no drift.  Open the nozzle up for course spray and had at it.  Checked a little while ago and the grass is already starting to turn yellow.  Trying to get some help Monday to run the tiller through it all.  Only a few peas came up.  Third time we tried peas and will be the last.  Thi9s is good rich ground but the peas and beans will not grow in it. Strawberries are looking real good.  Got a good grass mulch around them and have damp ground under it so that is working.  Been eating radish and onion.  Did a lot of little jobs this morning so will take it easy this afternoon.  Have a couple carbide blades to sharpen, finish up the ground blind and some other things in the basement.  Seems like every day is a little better but the strength is not even close to normal yet.

• Vrdaddy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#25 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 15303 Thanks
  • 8737 posts

Posted June 13, 2020 - 10:19 AM

Spray working good.  Will mow it tomorrow and then till it all under.  Watered it all this morning.  Have several strawberries that are ripening.  Granddaughter get them tomorrow.

• IHCubCadet147 said thank you

#26 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 9242 Thanks
  • 7165 posts

Posted June 13, 2020 - 11:13 AM

Have several strawberries that are ripening. 

As much as I'd like to see how these King Kong's are going to produce we have been picking all the blooms off. Sure is tempting to let a few go though. 

• chieffan and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#27 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 15303 Thanks
  • 8737 posts

Posted June 14, 2020 - 06:54 AM

Between me being restricted and so many things to do, then the high temps we did not pick the blooms off.  Not sure how much it will hurt them but to late now.  Have several that have berries on them, some are ripe or near ripe.

Back to the garden again this morning.  Going to mow it short first, then hit it with the tiller.  After that the Preen goes down and hopefully that will slow the grass and weeds to a controllable level.  Second planting of Watermelon and Acorn Squash have not came up yet.  Not sure they will and to late to plant again.  Pi$$ me off if we don't get an watermelon this year.

• Cvans and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#28 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 9242 Thanks
  • 7165 posts

Posted June 14, 2020 - 03:57 PM

did not pick the blooms off. 

Are those the King Kongs? How large are they? 

My wife said she couldn't stand it and left one bloom on yesterday  :thumbs:  I hope she will share the strawberry with me. 

Your farther south so you might get some watermelons. 

Edited by Cvans, June 14, 2020 - 03:58 PM.

#29 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 15303 Thanks
  • 8737 posts

Posted June 15, 2020 - 11:58 AM

I picked about a dozen berries this morning.  Biggest one was about 1/2 dollar size, rest were smaller.  One watermelon plant is breaking through this morning so maybe the other one will too.  Going to give everything a good drink of Miracle Grow tomorrow morning when it is cool.

• Cvans said thank you

#30 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 9242 Thanks
  • 7165 posts

Posted June 15, 2020 - 10:20 PM

good drink of Miracle Grow tomorrow morning when it is cool.

My adult grand-daughter asked it I would grow a hill of big pumpkins again. Maybe a shot or two of Miracle Grow would be good for them. Thanks for mentioning it. 

Edited by Cvans, June 15, 2020 - 10:21 PM.