33 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 4693 Thanks
  • 2317 posts

Posted March 21, 2020 - 06:19 PM

I finished up the roto-tiller this week, and the snow has receded enough to find a drag section I wanted to convert to 3 PT it had been under the snow and froze to the ground but this week I could see it peeking out so got the PK with the FEL out and got it in to the shop. The 3 pt hitch is coming along good this afternoon I pretty much got the hitch done I need to find about 10 feet of chain and to paint it then it will be ready to use.

HPIM1577.JPG HPIM1579.JPG HPIM1580.JPG HPIM1582.JPG HPIM1584.JPG HPIM1587.JPG HPIM1588.JPG

• KennyP, oldironmm, propane1 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 4getgto OFFLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 3751 Thanks
  • 1607 posts

Posted March 21, 2020 - 06:33 PM

Like it...are the teeth spring loaded ???
  • oldironmm, MNGB and chieffan have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 12450 Thanks
  • 5541 posts

Posted March 21, 2020 - 06:55 PM

No pictures of diggin it out of the snow bank Gary ?? Hehe. Looks good. I need something like that.

Noel
  • oldironmm, MNGB and chieffan have said thanks

#4 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 4693 Thanks
  • 2317 posts

Posted March 21, 2020 - 06:56 PM

Like it...are the teeth spring loaded ???

Yes they are coiled 2 teeth oer set, I don't know the manufacture but the teethare easy to remove install

• oldironmm, propane1, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#5 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 4693 Thanks
  • 2317 posts

Posted March 21, 2020 - 07:08 PM

No pictures of diggin it out of the snow bank Gary ?? Hehe. Looks good. I need something like that.

Noel

No pictures of that, I had enough fun with out taking pictures I had grabbed one end of the drag and it can up so I went and got the PK and connected a chain from the loader bucket then went and stood next to the tractor and started to raise the bucket all of a sudden the left rear wheel came off the ground I'm on the right side quickly lowered the bucket went and checked the drag again and noe it was completely free this time got on the tractor and it lifted up nice and away I went. :wave:

• KennyP, oldironmm, propane1 and 4 others have said thanks

#6 oldironmm ONLINE  

oldironmm
  • Member No: 32034
  • 924 Thanks
  • 307 posts

Posted March 21, 2020 - 08:01 PM

Looks good. Great way to work the,ground up for a seed bed or to dethatch your lawn.
  • MNGB, chieffan and 4getgto have said thanks

#7 4getgto OFFLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 3751 Thanks
  • 1607 posts

Posted March 22, 2020 - 07:42 AM

Looks good. Great way to work the,ground up for a seed bed or to dethatch your lawn.

I was wondering about dethatching. Maybe a little too aggressive.??
  • oldironmm, propane1, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 14864 Thanks
  • 8586 posts

Posted March 22, 2020 - 07:56 AM

That looks like a home made drag.  Never seen one with round teeth like that and not adjustable.  No flex to it what so ever.  I think all three of my sections are buried in the grass or would get a picture of them.

• oldironmm, MNGB and 4getgto have said thanks

#9 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 4693 Thanks
  • 2317 posts

Posted March 22, 2020 - 08:39 AM

That looks like a home made drag.  Never seen one with round teeth like that and not adjustable.  No flex to it what so ever.  I think all three of my sections are buried in the grass or would get a picture of them.

Hi Roger not homemade the teeth are spring steel with a coil at the top up in the angle V in may be an old Melroe

• KennyP, oldironmm, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#10 oldironmm ONLINE  

oldironmm
  • 924 Thanks
  • 307 posts

Posted March 22, 2020 - 09:57 AM

I was wondering about dethatching. Maybe a little too aggressive.??

I'd give it a try. I've used an aggressive dethatcher on my yard. Got all the thatch up and roughed up the ground, but didn't bother the grass. My yard look a little rough for a couple day, but when the grass start to grow, it grew like wildfire. Not sure if I wanted that, but got all the dead grass out. The rain soaked in the ground fast.
  • propane1, MNGB, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#11 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 4693 Thanks
  • 2317 posts

Posted March 22, 2020 - 12:46 PM

I'd give it a try. I've used an aggressive dethatcher on my yard. Got all the thatch up and roughed up the ground, but didn't bother the grass. My yard look a little rough for a couple day, but when the grass start to grow, it grew like wildfire. Not sure if I wanted that, but got all the dead grass out. The rain soaked in the ground fast.

Hi oldironmm, I agree with you and it does really help the grass, the problem with using this in my yard is it and the tractor are too big to maneuver around the tress and flower planters etc, but have a 42 ich I built a few years back and I use it every spring it works good it rakes up a lot of branches and leaves form over winter I can dump it into piles to haul off then I go over the lawn with a power flow bagger

HPIM1107.JPG

• KennyP, oldironmm, kjmweld and 1 other said thanks

#12 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 4693 Thanks
  • 2317 posts

Posted March 22, 2020 - 03:05 PM

Was into the shop this afternoon to check on things so I dug out a spare drag tooth and took a cpuple of pictures I'm sure its a Melroe drag an old old one

https://www.sloanex....168.html#view-1

HPIM1591.JPG HPIM1592.JPG

• KennyP, oldironmm and kjmweld have said thanks

#13 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 2591 Thanks
  • 1016 posts

Posted March 22, 2020 - 03:09 PM

Is that bicycle chain you're using for sway chains on the 3 point arms? How does that work? Can you post some pics to show how they're attached? (I'm thinking the chain would bend or kink out of shape, unless they can swivel somehow).
  • oldironmm, MNGB and 4getgto have said thanks

#14 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 4693 Thanks
  • 2317 posts

Posted March 22, 2020 - 03:22 PM

Is that bicycle chain you're using for sway chains on the 3 point arms? How does that work? Can you post some pics to show how they're attached? (I'm thinking the chain would bend or kink out of shape, unless they can swivel somehow).

Hi no not a bicycle chain, its OEM it is welded to the lift arm attach bolt then cross's an into a bushing welded to the outer lift arm, adjustable by pulling chain in or letting it out a locking it with a large hair pin, it a twist type chain pretty strong

HPIM2456.JPG

• KennyP, oldironmm, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#15 oldironmm ONLINE  

oldironmm
  • 924 Thanks
  • 307 posts

Posted March 22, 2020 - 04:27 PM

I'm working on trying to upgrade my dethatcher teeth to used teeth off of our hay rake. These may be alot more aggressive but I'm looking for that to pull up leaves and dead grass plus twigs from the trees.
  • MNGB and 4getgto have said thanks