• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 1448 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 12, 2020 - 06:23 PM

Being as the weather was decent and I had the time, I reclaimed about a wheelbarrow full of gravel from the edges of my lawn. Scattered it about in the driveway and used the 800 to roll it back in and smooth out some of the rough spots. I managed to mess up a few places when we got several inches of wet heavy snow on top of the unfrozen driveway. I had done some work on the tractor in the early winter and then parked it in the barn sometime in January. Haven't touched it since. Today I turned on the gas and it fired right off after rolling over 3 or 4 times. Nice! I ran it around pulling the roller about half an hour. My only complaint with it is that I keep bumping the throttle control lever with my right knee. Before I know it the thing is running full throttle. I was surprised at how well the little guy handles the roller. I was going in first gear high range at about 2/3 throttle. I have a set of weights that I can put on it and am going to do more rolling with it soon. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 800 001.JPG
  • 800 002.JPG
  • 800 003.JPG

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 18 others have said thanks

#2 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3190 Thanks
  • 1334 posts

Posted March 12, 2020 - 07:52 PM

Good deal! Sounds like a fun day and great way to use the tractor. Thanks for the photos and post! :thumbs:

• blackjackjakexxix, Dave in NY, old coot and 7 others have said thanks

#3 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1448 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 13, 2020 - 04:59 AM

I wish that I had had more cleanup time yesterday, this project was just a couple of hours spent after getting home from work. This is just the beginning, hope we don't get a whopper snow storm again. I hate plowing or snowplowing on a soft driveway. Could have it paved I suppose.
  • blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, chieffan and 4 others have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 15104 Thanks
  • 8662 posts

Posted March 13, 2020 - 08:34 AM

If you can get it put down a layer of 3/8" rock.  Around here they use it in asphalt and highway shoulders.  Packis down hard and no issues with the snow thrower.  Grades back easy and packs down hard again.  Issue is that 3/8" is not a stock product at the quarry.  Special order so I cann in way ahead and when they make a batch for DOT or asphalt they will add a few ton for me.

• blackjackjakexxix, Dave in NY, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#5 IHCubCadet147 ONLINE  

IHCubCadet147
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 93788
  • 1256 Thanks
  • 568 posts

Posted March 13, 2020 - 03:15 PM

The tractor looks good! I’ve been doing the same thing this past week. I didn’t spread it yet, just raked it out and pushed it into a pile. I wish I had a roller.

• Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#6 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1448 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 14, 2020 - 06:58 AM

The tractor looks good! I’ve been doing the same thing this past week. I didn’t spread it yet, just raked it out and pushed it into a pile. I wish I had a roller.

You should get one. Really helps fixing up rough spots in a lawn or driveway. I built the one you see in the pictures many years ago.
  • logmillingman and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#7 IHCubCadet147 ONLINE  

IHCubCadet147
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 93788
  • 1256 Thanks
  • 568 posts

Posted March 14, 2020 - 09:46 AM

You should get one. Really helps fixing up rough spots in a lawn or driveway. I built the one you see in the pictures many years ago.

I will get one someday. Just waiting for the right deal, cheap and close. I have thought about building one.

• Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 15723 Thanks
  • 7288 posts

Posted March 14, 2020 - 10:25 AM

Make one!!  Look around and get an old Chlorine or flammable gas tank (thick wall) then weld a schedule #80 or #60 pipe in it and build a frame..  It isn't that hard and well worth the investment of time!  (The neighbors will all want to borrow you and your roller in the spring!  

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, March 14, 2020 - 10:25 AM.

• Dave in NY, logmillingman and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#9 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1448 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 14, 2020 - 11:34 AM

Yep, mines built from a piece of heavy wall pipe, some flat plate, a length of round bar for the axle, scrap channel, flat bar and pipe for a tounge. Put a bung in one end and have it filled with play sand. Should have made the tounge a wee bit longer but it works good enough.
  • logmillingman, kjmweld and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#10 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1448 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 14, 2020 - 06:42 PM

I got him out again today. Bolted on a set of weights to help with traction and rolled some of the edges of the lawn and rolled the driveway again. I tweaked the idle speed down a wee bit and leaned the idle mixture a wee too. Left the main jet alone as it seems to start, throttle up and work right along just fine. No black smoke and doesn't smell of fuel so it must be about right. I still get a tiny puff of blue oil smoke on first start but then none after that. When I first brought it home it smoked blue quite a bit more. The oil in it was black as could be but at least it was showing on the dipstick. I have 15-40 wt. Rotella in it for now. I see its starting to change color already and I have only put maybe 4 hours total run time on it. Motor must have a bit of crud in it. I'll keep watch of the oil and change it out soon. It hasn't seemed to use any. But then again it really hasn't been worked very hard either. And here's a couple pics of the roller I built from leftovers some time back. Don't remember exactly but it must be at least 25 years ago. Maybe I ought to give it a fresh coat of paint.  Man how time flies by!

Attached Thumbnails

• electrolisis 006.JPG
  • electrolisis 007.JPG
  • electrolisis 008.JPG

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#11 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 2859 Thanks
  • 1109 posts

Posted March 14, 2020 - 06:51 PM

Kind of jealous that you guys are dry enough there to be able to do that already. Sure is looking up for an early departure of winter in NY so far tho, fingers crossed 😁
  • Bolens 1000, KennyP, Dave in NY and 2 others have said thanks

#12 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1448 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 15, 2020 - 12:28 PM

We seem to be drying out fairly well here. Saw robins out in the back yard yesterday. I'm not going to take the blower and chains off the tractor just yet though.
  • KennyP, logmillingman, kjmweld and 1 other said thanks

#13 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1448 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 15, 2020 - 05:54 PM

Forgot to mention that I got a package in the mail a couple of days ago. Thanks to a fellow forum member I now have a good pulley for the PTO assembly. So sometime in the not too distant future I will get that part of the tractor back in working condition too. 

Attached Thumbnails

• pulley 006.JPG
  • pulley 007.JPG

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, 29 Chev and 3 others have said thanks

#14 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1448 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 21, 2020 - 10:31 AM

I found this piece of 1/4" plate stashed away in my collection of things yesterday. I don't remember what project it is left over from. I tend to save most things metal so things like this just seem to turn up so to speak. I guess I'm like a squirrel stashing nuts. So anyway, I had an idea what to do with it. I'm not happy with the seating arrangement so I decided to move the seat rearward and gain some legroom. I got out a seat spring saved from one of the other tractors to get some measurements, as opposed to keep walking out to the barn where the tractor is parked to check things out. That's when I realized that the spring on this tractor might be modified already? It has 3 sets of holes and all my other tractor springs have just the 2. Maybe it is supposed to be that way. Dunno. I laid out a series of holes all spaced 1 1/2" apart following the pattern of the spring and started drilling. The extension plate will bolt to the spring with four 3/8" bolts and give me 2 more positions rearward for the seat. I discovered that I didn't need the middle holes so I just left the pilot holes and didn't drill them larger. Oops!  Won't hurt anything. Scuffed it off with the abrasive pad on the grinder and primed it. I'll get some color on it later. 

Attached Thumbnails

• seat 004.JPG
  • seat 002.JPG
  • seat 001.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 2 others have said thanks

#15 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1448 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 22, 2020 - 05:21 PM

I had painted the seat extension plate late yesterday afternoon and it was dry this afternoon so I bolted it on. I believe it's going to be much better now as I have more legroom and don't feel so cramped when I sit on the tractor. I also bolted the modified hitch on and that ought to be an improvement too. Shouldn't be so much clink- clank of the hitch pin shucking back and forth now. I also got the PTO assembly cleaned up along with the pulley and both primed. A big THANK YOU! to a fellow forum member that was kind enough to fix me up with the pulley, The pulley on the right is for this project. Maybe tomorrow afternoon I will get the assembly and pulley painted. I'm working on 2 tractor projects at once so I sort of bounce back and forth between the two.

Attached Thumbnails

• seat 001.JPG
  • seat 002.JPG
  • seat 003.JPG
  • seat 004.JPG
  • seat 007.JPG
  • seat 010.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, March 22, 2020 - 08:17 PM.

• KennyP, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks