Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help Keep Dedicated Uber Drivers (Like Myself) on the Road!

uber lyft ride-sharing older cars

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 1185 Thanks
  • 711 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 08:53 PM

Nothing personal but I would never ride Uber, actually not too happy getting into a cab either!

• hamman, chieffan, kjmweld and 2 others have said thanks

#17 DChappy OFFLINE  

DChappy
  • Member No: 95182
  • 274 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 09:00 PM

Nothing personal but I would never ride Uber, actually not too happy getting into a cab either!

Just like I don't want a bunch of random people getting in my truck!

• hamman, EricFromPa, chieffan and 3 others have said thanks

#18 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 2552 Thanks
  • 997 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 09:05 PM

I hand heard that one Uber driver drive a person. Then went and killed someone else. The picked up another fare right after the murder. How would you like to be that ride.

There's MANY criminal offenses documented reguarding Uber & Lyft ride-sharing. Do a quick Google search, you'd be surprised. & Not to say that there aren't some done by "licensed taxi drivers" but very rare by comparison.

This is to the original poster (mailman)...
Altho it may sound like I have something against you personally, I do not. My concerns are against the company you're driving for.
Your vehicle may very well be safe, safer than even a couple year old vehicle... & You too probably aren't a felon, or even have those tendencies & very much do have the public's safety at the top of your priority list. But you asking for people to sign a petition in hopes that Uber lessons their "already lax" rules to fit your needs is dangerous for anyone that may ever call for an Uber. If your petition were to go thru & they "changed the rules" (but I would hope they're not even allowed to legally), it would be done across the board, not just for you... Let me ask you this, if you were in the position to not be able to pick up your wife or child (assuming you have a wife & child), would YOU feel comfortable with them climbing into an older vehicle that you know nothing about & into the car with someone that you know has only stayed "under the radar" for the past 7yrs as far as criminal activity? Again, I'm not saying this is you, but you don't know who will be going to pick them up, or how well they've maintained their vehicle. My thoughts are that if that situation presented itself, you would want to put your loved ones in the safest vehicle w/the safest driver possible & wouldn't want to "roll the dice" with their safety. Asking for people to help you out by signing this petition only puts families at an even higher risk of something bad happening. I urge you to please reconsider what you're asking for.
As you can probably tell, I'm very passionate about this. For years our politicians & law makers, big business', insurance companies, etc. have bent the rules & found ways around to "beat the system." The same system that has been in place for decades to keep the American public safe & treated fair. Don't be a crooked politician looking for a way to line your pocket & make things easy for just you. We as Americans need to put a stop to all this bologna & fight for our safety & rights.

Edited by kjmweld, February 23, 2020 - 09:08 PM.

• hamman, Cvans, chieffan and 2 others have said thanks

#19 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 389 Thanks
  • 776 posts

Posted February 24, 2020 - 01:20 AM

I used to drive a cab in NYS. It was & still is a very regulated business, we had to have background checks (at all 3 levels, local, state, & federal), in order to even get a cab licence.  ...  I personally would NEVER ride with Uber because to my knowledge their drivers don't have to have ANY of that kind of background checks done, no special licenses are required, & there's PLENTY of rapes, abductions, & violence reported consistently amongst Uber drivers.  ...  Am I against Uber? I sure as heck am!

First of all, you are 100% wrong about the background check for Uber drivers.  Uber conducts background checks on all of their drivers and I had to complete paperwork (granted, it's all digital...) to have a complete background check done before I was cleared to drive for Uber.  Is this 100% fool proof?  Probably not, but then again neither are background checks performed by cab companies.  Just because someone can pass a background check doesn't necessarily mean they will never potentially do anything bad like you mentioned - rape, assault, abductions, etc.  Yeah, there have been a few high-profile cases of this happening, but how many cab drivers have also committed assaults or rapes?  I'm not trying to rag on cab drivers here or anything, but I'm just saying these kind of rare circumstances can happen anywhere, whether you're in a licensed taxi or an Uber.  I have been on both sides, as both a rider and a driver for Uber, and I have had nothing but good experiences so far.  However, the one or two times I actually had to get a ride in a taxi (outside of NYC anyways...), which was before there was Uber available, I had HORRIBLE experiences with the local taxis!

It is true no special license is required, but you're also driving your own personal vehicle, so why would you need a special license to do that?  I know technically taxi drivers need a passenger endorsement on their license, which is really just another way for the State to make money than anything.  It doesn't prove you're a "better driver" in any way...  Also, I have a Class C license anyways from when I used to drive tow-truck years ago that I keep renewing.  So, I'm technically "over-qualified" to drive a taxi anyways...

As far as the occurrences of these few over-sensationalized stories of people being raped, assaulted, abducted, etc. by their Uber driver, these are indeed quite rare!  You probably have a better chance of being struck by lightning than to have something bad happen to you riding in an Uber!  The company released their own statistics on this and the instances where someone had reported a major problem with their ride was less than 0.0003% of all the trips completed Nationwide!  Here is the link to their safety report from 2017-2018: https://www.uber-ass..._FullReport.pdf  (I'm sure they are still working on the report for 2018-2019...)

Here is another article that does a good job explaining the report:  https://reason.com/2...-rape-is-00002/

Edited by MailmAn, February 24, 2020 - 01:27 AM.

• hamman, chieffan and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 8985 Thanks
  • 7059 posts

Posted February 24, 2020 - 10:49 AM

As far as the occurrences of these few over-sensationalized stories of people being raped, assaulted, abducted, etc. by their Uber driver, these are indeed quite rare!  You probably have a better chance of being struck by lightning than to have something bad happen to you riding in an Uber! 

Your probably right but I'm not outside if there is lightning in the area. I'm not paranoid and I'm not one of those "it ain't going to happen to me" type of people either. 

• MailmAn, chieffan, kjmweld and 2 others have said thanks

#21 ShotgunWedding ONLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 1236 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted February 24, 2020 - 02:23 PM

I am not a fan of Uber either.  As far as buying Christmas presents for your kids, there are many cab drivers who went through all the expense of getting licensed etc... that once Uber arrived where SOL.  Just saying.  So putting that extraneous story into your original post is a yellow flag. 

To the facts of the matter,

I have worked as a chemical consultant for a company my entire career that requires me to visit "their" customers.  If I travel with my own vehicle to their customers, and be able to bill for my time and expenses/mileage, the rules are clear.  Vehicle must be 4 years old max and actually be a specific type to give the right impression to their customers.  It is their customer, and they are paying me so I am happy to comply.  If the economics are such that it doesn't make sense for me, so be it...there are other places to work.  And to note, I work for an American chemical company.  Americans, like everywhere expect employees, contractors as yourself to be held to a higher standard.  This isn't the Congo where anything goes.  That American freedom thing you are implying does not dip into the private sector, that is a lesson you seem to have missed.

Point is, Uber owns the clientele that you are picking up, where your employ is based through a payment contract with you.  They have the ultimate authority to set the rules of what the vehicle is, the year,  the cleanliness of it, what you are allowed to wear, what length of your haircut, and even the amount of facial hair if they want to get technical.  With compliance, they pay you.  

I will tell you this though.  If I was Uber and I saw this little Petition coming up the pipe, your days would be numbered in the single digits.  If you haven't sent it, best to lick your wounds, buy a newer vehicle and carry-on.  15 year old is very generous!!!!

• Cvans, chieffan, James Bosma and 4 others have said thanks

#22 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 14822 Thanks
  • 8564 posts

Posted February 25, 2020 - 03:54 PM

Is driving for Uber the ONLY part time job you can find ? ?  If it is you have other issues you haven't recognized yet.  Nothing wrong with getting a part time job but if you don't like the color of the water, find another watering hole.

• Cvans, James Bosma, kjmweld and 1 other said thanks

#23 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1816 Thanks
  • 830 posts

Posted February 25, 2020 - 06:13 PM

It will do you no good to stir the pot the way you want too

You piss them off they will make sure you never drive for them or other ride share companies, 

Now you would be better of trying to get them to add a old car request section

Then people could get a ride in a 1932 rat rod if THEY wanted to.

Never know, there could be a possibility of a job there for you to run / schedule the old vehicle section, then you wouldn't need 2 jobs

• kjmweld said thank you

#24 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4118 Thanks
  • 2537 posts

Posted February 25, 2020 - 08:04 PM

Driving for Uber is very similar to driving a truck. You do the job and receive the pay. If you consider all of the pay to be your profit you are dreaming. Your share of the pay is a small percentage. The lions share of the pay goes to the truck. When you have payed all the bills Insurance, fuel, maintenance, taxes. licenses, permits, tickets, fines, and put away a payment for your next truck whats left is your profit. Any other plan is just robing peter to pay pall.   Don

• Cvans, kjmweld and 4getgto have said thanks

#25 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 8985 Thanks
  • 7059 posts

Posted February 25, 2020 - 10:11 PM

Can I use the DeSoto to be an Uber driver?????

1930 DeSoto.jpg

Edited by Cvans, February 25, 2020 - 10:12 PM.

• MailmAn, James Bosma, 4getgto and 1 other said thanks

#26 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 3695 Thanks
  • 1594 posts

Posted February 26, 2020 - 06:51 AM

attachicon.gif1930 DeSoto.jpg

Don't lose hope. If the over 15 year old rule is won somebody shortly after will be petitioning for 20-30-50 year old cars.
Even the horse and buggy guys have a chance. As long as they pick up their own poop..!
  • Cvans, chieffan, James Bosma and 1 other said thanks

#27 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1816 Thanks
  • 830 posts

Posted February 26, 2020 - 05:08 PM

attachicon.gif1930 DeSoto.jpg

I  would hate to see a beautiful car get beat up by ungrateful people 

• Cvans, MailmAn, chieffan and 1 other said thanks