Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help Keep Dedicated Uber Drivers (Like Myself) on the Road!

uber lyft ride-sharing older cars

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 389 Thanks
  • 776 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 01:39 PM

I know this topic isn't related to garden tractors at all, which is why I'm posting it in the Off-Topic Forum, but I still wanted to share this with all of you in the hopes that it will get some more exposure.  I strongly urge you to please check out my petition and if you agree, please sign and share it with all your friends and on other forums and message boards you may participate in:

Sign the Petition

I started driving for Uber last year (2019) to earn some extra money to use towards some of my projects, paying my bills, and also to help save up some extra money to buy Christmas presents for my family.  I also really enjoyed driving for Uber on the weekends and in my free time.  I got to meet some really nice, interesting people and I also feel like I'm helping people out and making a difference, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, in helping to keep drunk drivers off of the roads.  Since I started driving for Uber, I have completed well over 100 trips and also have over 100+ 5-Star ratings from my passengers.  I am currently a Gold-Level Uber driver based on my feedback score and the number of points I have earned from completing trips.

However, starting next month on March 1, 2020, Uber will NO LONGER allow me to drive for them because my car will be more than 15 years old at that point!!  This seems absolutely ridiculous to me that my car was completely fine to drive for them last year, but now this year my car is suddenly "too old"!  I received the following notification from Uber earlier this month in their app alerting me that I will no longer be able to drive for them:

Uber Notification to Buy a New Car - 2020-02-21.jpg

Uber's only suggested "option" in order to be able to continue driving for them is for me to buy a newer vehicle!  However, if I could afford to purchase a new vehicle, then chances are I would not need to drive for Uber to make some extra money in the first place!  I have already tried contacting Uber Customer Support about this issue to see if they would be willing to make any exceptions, but unfortunately they told me that there was nothing they could do at this time.  New York State already inspects my vehicle every year to ensure it is safe to be on the roads.  On top of that, I maintain my car and replace parts on it as necessary to a level that goes well above and beyond what is minimally necessary to pass New York State Inspection.  So, I'm not exactly sure WHY Uber has this arbitrary policy that drivers must own a vehicle that is less than 15 years old?

That is why I started this petition to hopefully send a message to Uber to not kick their dedicated drivers off of their platform and to not prevent new drivers from joining simply because they deem their cars to be "too old"!  I need as many signatures and supporters as possible though in order to get Uber's attention and hopefully get them to change their policy.

I would appreciate everyone's support and I hope you will all take the time to Sign the Petition and share it with all your friends and family! Thank you very much!

Here is the direct link in case anyone else would like to share my petition on Facebook or Twitter, etc.: http://chng.it/pJjys4Md

• hamman and chieffan have said thanks

#2 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 3695 Thanks
  • 1594 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 02:03 PM

Not sure how much business Uber would get and their reputation would be if they allowed all their drivers to use 15-30 year old cars. Wouldn't be my first call no matter how safe they "may" be. Hell everybody would be going out and buying a 1k car and going in business.

JMO.. Don't mean to offend anyone...

Edited by 4getgto, February 23, 2020 - 02:04 PM.

• hamman, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#3 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 389 Thanks
  • 776 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 02:26 PM

Hell everybody would be going out and buying a 1k car and going in business.

So?  What's wrong with that?  That's the American way!  (Or at least it USED to be...)

Plus, have you actually SEEN some of the cars that ACTUAL taxi companies have been using since well before Uber was around?  At least here where I live in NY, every taxi I see driving around is a 20+ year old ex-police Crown Vic with probably 300,000+ miles on it puffing blue oil smoke out of the tailpipe!

I'm not saying Uber has to go to THAT extreme or anything, but I also think that it all depends on the particular driver and what kind of car they have and how they maintain it.  Someone could have a 10 year old car that is all beat to hell and is already a complete POS just as someone else could have a 25 year old car with low miles that is practically brand new!  (This is especially true when you head down south out of the rust-belt States...  I've seen some prime examples of all original 30-40 year old cars from the south that are still in amazing condition!

Uber could still help to maintain a certain level of service quality by either annually inspecting cars older than 15 years old to determine if they should still be eligible to be able to drive for Uber or to monitor driver's feedback scores and, if a driver is continuously getting 1-Star reviews from passengers complaining that their car is in poor condition or unsafe or something, then they could stop them from driving until they get another vehicle at that point.

Edited by MailmAn, February 23, 2020 - 02:30 PM.

• hamman, oldedeeres, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#4 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1816 Thanks
  • 830 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 03:09 PM

Its their business to run and they want vehicles a certain age, no matter the condition or driver standings

Some people think older cars are not as reliable as the newer cars,  some are true  some are not

You seem to keep your car in tip top shape and we praise you for that

Should try snow plowing,  if you have a 5 or 6 year old truck you won't get much work, brand new truck you be busy as hell

There has to be a cut off point somewhere so they picked 15 years, should be glad it wasn't 10 years

I am not against older cars but for services like that I expect something within 5 years old

Just for the record i have a 1972  (48 year old road legal) car, My dad has a 1942 truck,  so uber would never allow those 2, but people would love to get a ride in it , they are just reliable as my 2010,

If i'm paying i'd like something newer than what i got, but thats me

It would cost a enormous  amount of money to Uber to inspect those cars, that is why they have the 15 year limit so they don't have too

If you don't want to play by their rules then you don't get to play, simple as that

Now where is the petition to stop annual inspections in New York State,  why don't you fight that, it would save lots of money and you wouldn't have to driver for Uber

I hope i didn't offend you,

Edited by James Bosma, February 23, 2020 - 03:10 PM.

#5 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 3695 Thanks
  • 1594 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 04:09 PM

I'm sure it was in their contract about the 15 y.o. age on the cars before you decided to work for Uber. Complaining now is pointless. They made their rules. It's the American way.!

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 8985 Thanks
  • 7059 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 04:12 PM

I understand where your coming from BUT it's their company and they can set the limitations. Look at it this way, if you can't afford a newer automobile then the chances are that you can't afford newer tires either. I'm not saying everyone is like this but the odds are pretty good if a person is trying to cut corners on their driving expenses there's more involved then just the cost of the car.  Personally I would feel better having someone show up in a 5 year old vehicle.

• hamman, chieffan and 4getgto have said thanks

#7 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Tractorfanatics.com

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14737 Thanks
  • 10277 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 04:55 PM

I would imagine as they build up their network, they will probably keep moving that number up to the point where their fleet is nothing older than 5 years. I don’t think that is realistic, but I could see it being a goal of theirs.

Their company, they get to set the rules.
  • hamman, Cvans, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#8 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 389 Thanks
  • 776 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 05:23 PM

Now where is the petition to stop annual inspections in New York State,  why don't you fight that, it would save lots of money and you wouldn't have to driver for Uber.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to try to stop annual inspections in NY as people have been griping about that for years now.  (Or about the NYS Tire Abatement Fee, or many other laws that NYS has imposed...)  But this would be a REAL uphill battle as it would cost the State revenue, so they have a vested interest in making sure NYS Inspections stay around.  Plus, now after the limo crash in Schoharie County (https://www.nytimes....hoharie-ny.html), NYS has passed even more restrictive vehicle inspection requirements and laws specific to limousines.  Nevermind the facts that: 1) The limo involved in the crash had recently FAILED NYS DOT Inspection for commercial vehicles due to unsafe brakes, 2) The owner of the limo service had a local repair shop falsify records to show the brake system was repaired when it was not, 3) The vehicle had been placed out of service by the NYS DOT by placing a sticker on the window until it was brought up to code, but the owner had illegally scraped this sticker off of the limo, and 4) The limo driver (who was also killed) was driving without a valid license.  So, there were already multiple instances where NYS laws were broken that led to this tragedy.  I'm sure this crash would not have been avoided by having more or stricter laws since the owner had already violated existing laws in putting this limo into service!

I know there are some states that either do not have State inspections at all or they are at least much less restrictive than NY's inspections and they don't have any more instances of vehicle crashes or anything, so it's not based only on safety or anything.  (Plus, you still have to inspect brand-new cars, which of course should pass with no problems!)  As per usual, it is just another money grab by the State.  Repair garages aren't even making any money from doing NYS Inspections and they waste their time and energy from performing other work that would actually make them money!

Edited by MailmAn, February 23, 2020 - 05:24 PM.

• hamman, chieffan and James Bosma have said thanks

#9 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 2552 Thanks
  • 997 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 05:29 PM

I used to drive a cab in NYS. It was & still is a very regulated business, we had to have background checks (at all 3 levels, local, state, & federal), in order to even get a cab licence. You also need a physical by a Dr. Proving your eyesite is good & you have no unsafe medical conditions which could impair your ability to safely transport the general public. This license is renewed every other year like clockwork. That keeps the public safe from pedophiles & safer to be riding in cars with someone that wont pass out if they're having a diabetic emergency, or if theyre blind as a bat guy & can't see where or when to stop, or is colorblind & can't tell what color the traffic light is. This is very closely monitored by the cities licensing section of the police Dept. Additionally the cab companies also have the licensing section checking to make sure the cars are within 10 yrs of age & legally inspected. They actually come unannounced & do their own spot checks quite regularly, as well as the yearly inspection where they verify the meters are calibrated to the metered mile, so customers don't get price gouged. I can't speak on what's going on in your area (weather or not license section has gone soft or not) but this is what is SUPPOSED to happen in all of NYS. I personally would NEVER ride with Uber because to my knowledge their drivers don't have to have ANY of that kind of background checks done, no special licenses are required, & there's PLENTY of rapes, abductions, & violence reported consistently amongst Uber drivers. This has also put MANY "real cab drivers" out of a job because the amount of business has declined within the legit cab companies that employ safe drivers since Uber came along (not me, I quit doing that yrs ago). That's because Ubers services are cheaper than a taxi cabs metered rates, so the public pays less. If you want to take a chance & climb into a completely unknown (possible felon, or worse) but pay less money... Call Uber, if you need a ride & want to know you're climbing in a car where the driver has at least been checked out & have a piece of mind with all that entails, call an actual cab company & pay the price. At least you know you won't be found dead somewhere because you may have got into the wrong persons car because you cheaped out. You get what you pay for people, that too is the "American way."
Am I against Uber? I sure as heck am. Do I care if this offends the original poster? Nope. He has options, he can pay the $75 & go thru the proper procedure to get his cab license & go drive for a legit cab company & not even have the worries of buying a newer car, that's the cab companies problem.
  • hamman, chieffan, AllisKidD21 and 1 other said thanks

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 16932 Thanks
  • 11343 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 06:54 PM

So . . .  you couldn't use a '32 Ford street rod? I'd love to get a ride in that!

• hamman, EricFromPa, MailmAn and 4 others have said thanks

#11 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 3695 Thanks
  • 1594 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 07:08 PM

So . . . you couldn't use a '32 Ford street rod? I'd love to get a ride in that!

Vehicle must be 10 years old or newer – Varies city to city. See how to find the exactly model year required in your city
Must be a four-door car, truck, or minivan. Manual (standard) transmission is OK
Vehicle must have seating and seatbelts for 4 passengers, not including the driver
Must pass a mechanical vehicle inspection
Driver’s full name must be on the insurance for the vehicle
Driver’s name does NOT have to be on vehicle registration
Driver must pass a background check and driving record check (See background check details here)

Never know though. Call and maybe they'll make an exception..👍

Edited by 4getgto, February 23, 2020 - 07:11 PM.

• hamman, LilysDad and chieffan have said thanks

#12 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 2552 Thanks
  • 997 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 07:19 PM

Driver must pass a background check and driving record check (See background check details here)

Where did you find that? I'm curious what the background check consists of & who does it. When Uber first came into my area, there was no checks done on the drivers. It was a free for all.

#13 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 3695 Thanks
  • 1594 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 07:49 PM

Where did you find that? I'm curious what the background check consists of & who does it. When Uber first came into my area, there was no checks done on the drivers. It was a free for all.

I just googled "requirements for Uber driver" or something like that..
  • hamman, chieffan and kjmweld have said thanks

#14 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 2552 Thanks
  • 997 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 08:22 PM

Here's an interesting read, & basically speaks of my point...

Central NY News
Syracuse taxi drivers demand level playing field as Uber cripples their business
Updated Jan 30, 2019; Posted May 30, 2018.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Two years ago Yellow Taxi Company had 43 licensed cabs operating in and around Syracuse. The father-and-son business was the biggest game in town.

Today, Yellow Taxi has 19 cabs on the road. Owner Frank Manzi III says the reason for the slump is simple: Uber.

Manzi was one of a half dozen taxi company owners who spent Wednesday afternoon begging the city council to back them up in their fight for survival in the age of digital ride hailing.
"[Uber] is a cab company," Manzi told the council. "The only thing we can do is to get the city to try to help regulate these people."

One by one, taxi operators offered complaints about the city's fees and regulations on cabs -- burdens they say don't apply equally to services like Uber.

Cab drivers, for example, undergo a police background check and must pass a physical every three years. Vehicles are subject to an annual inspection by the city. A taxi license costs $300 a year.

Uber isn't limited by those regulations....

(Then it goes on with more babbling)
My point with the background check is if youve EVER BEEN CONVICTED of a felony of ANY KIND, you won't get a cab license. Current Uber driver background check in upstate NY consist of the following, but if you keep out of trouble for 7 yrs (or don't get caught at least) Uber says your clear to drive for them. I refuse to put my loved ones in the car of an Uber driver that very well may have previously been a rapist, pedophile, or axe murderer if they needed a ride & I'm not able to get them for whatever reason....

Uber Background Check
Clean driving record.
Pass a background check.
The background check is done by a company called Hirease. It will take a few days.

Background check: make sure that in the past 7 years you have had…
No DUI or drug-related offenses.
No incidents of driving without insurance or license.
No fatal accidents
No history of reckless driving.
No criminal history.

The criminal check isn't even done by a city, state, or federal agency!!! Uber does the bare minimum it has to & has nobody's safety in mind. Their only interest is lining their own pockets & "cheating the system" the best they can in order to do so.

My rant is over, but I do encourage everyone to really keep this in mind before having your "loved ones" ride in an Uber. BTW, Lyft is just as bad.

#15 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1816 Thanks
  • 830 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 08:32 PM

I hand heard that one Uber driver drive a person. Then went and killed someone else. The picked up another fare right after the murder. How would you like to be that ride.
  • hamman, chieffan, kjmweld and 1 other said thanks