• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tghohenwarter OFFLINE  

tghohenwarter
  • Member No: 93888
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 13, 2020 - 10:03 AM

I have a 1012 Meteor and was wondering if anyone has ever rebuilt the sundstrand hydrostatic on it and if so how easy it was and how readily available parts are?

Thanks

Edited by tghohenwarter, February 13, 2020 - 12:04 PM.

• chieffan and Banjopicker10 have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 14499 Thanks
  • 8492 posts

Posted February 13, 2020 - 04:18 PM

Very few can afford to have one rebuilt.  I checked a few years ago, standard price to diagnose any hydro was $500.  Repairs on top of that was pushing  $1500 - $1800.  I would look for another good hydro.  Are you sure your hydro is bad?  May be just the valves on top need rebuilt.

Edited by chieffan, February 13, 2020 - 04:22 PM.

#3 tghohenwarter OFFLINE  

tghohenwarter
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 13, 2020 - 06:39 PM

I am not certain but I was just driving it around and probably trying to climb too steep of a hill and now I do not have much forward speed or power, reverse seems fine though.  This is my first tractor project, so I definitely have a lot to learn.  I'll have to look into finding another one close by or rebuilding the valves.

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 3056 Thanks
  • 3071 posts

Posted February 13, 2020 - 08:21 PM

So if its Sunstrand, I suppose that is direct drive.  Still work checking if your shaft is slipping on an input shaft.  Also check your oil level carefully. 

#5 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 1012 Thanks
  • 588 posts

Posted February 13, 2020 - 09:50 PM

Your drive belt might be worn too.  I know on the 3 speed Panzers they'll get to the point that it looks like it's tight but it will have worn down the sides of the belt and just be slipping in the bottom of the groove.  Another thing to check would be the filter and condition of the oil

#6 tghohenwarter OFFLINE  

tghohenwarter
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 13, 2020 - 10:27 PM

I appreciate the ideas, I have time this weekend to work on it and try to figure it out.  When I got this tractor it was in pieces torn down to the frame as the guy I got it from was restoring it, because of this, it had no fluid in the hydro and I replaced both the hydro drive belt and starter belt.  The hydro was off of the tractor and had no fluid in it so it has new fluid, however it is possible and highly likely dirt got in the hydrostatic when it was just sitting there for a year with the ports exposed to the dirt especially since it also does not have a filter to even clean the fluid over time.

Another thing I just thought of was when I first got it, it would leak trans fluid through the speed control lever, so I poured in some leak sealer for transmissions, could that possibly mess with the viscosity of the Type A trans fluid because before this attempt to climb this hill, I was just putting around on relatively flat ground or pavement.

Before I started the tractor today though, I also tightened what should have been the free wheel valve about a half a turn (it's just a hex head bolt as opposed to a sliding handle like on a bench vise which I have seen in other pictures, but it has to be the free wheel based on location.)  Could that possibly have anything to do with it?