• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 586 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted January 24, 2020 - 09:04 PM

I have been on the hunt for a loader for my soon to be finished HT20D/HT24D tractor.  I came across a Kwik Way loader that was originally on an 1886.  It also at one time had a Brantley Backhoe as well.  This loader was one designed for the Bolens HT so there is no fab work going to be involved other than the possibility of the arms going from the upright tubes to the front of the frame.   That will only depend on if they interfere with either my air cleaner set up or my muffler set up but at quick glance does not appear that it will interfere.  The frame work and bucket are in considerably great condition for a loader of its age.  All the hoses are in need of replacement as well as cylinder repair/ overhaul.  One cylinder was stored with about 6-7 inches exposed and has a significant rust build up.  The other thing is i have to purchase a control valve.  Did not have one even when previous owner aquired it.  The control valve is not an issue but if anyone has good close up pictures of how it mounts and where it mounts I would apriciate it.  Also I have read the quik way loaders have unique sized hydraulic ram sizes.  Cant verify if this is true or not.  have not looked into anything yet about them.  But if anyone again has info on cylinder replacement or overhaul etc i could really use it.  Ill also try to find a model number on it in the morning.  Here are some pics.  Thanks in advance for any help   Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• loader2.jpg
  • loader1.jpg
  • loader3.jpg
  • loader4.jpg
  • loader5.jpg
  • loader6.jpg
  • loader7.jpg
  • loader8.jpg
  • loader pump1.jpg
  • loader pump2.jpg
  • loader pump3.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Cvans and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 2903 Thanks
  • 1259 posts

Posted January 24, 2020 - 10:03 PM

Good going there, Jeff, glad you found yourself a loader! I'm excited to follow along. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like you'll have to do much changing of the loader to make it fit. I'm sorry that I don't have answers to your questions but I'm confident you'll get it figured out! :thumbs:

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Utah Smitty and 3 others have said thanks

#3 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 2263 Thanks
  • 927 posts

Posted January 24, 2020 - 10:05 PM

It looks very tight still, you got a good one there. The "self leveling" system is a nice feature on that model as well. 👍
As far as the spool valve mount. That appears to be missing the mount. The tank is usually in the left upright & spool valve/mount on the right. That one the tanks on the right, but there's no reason you can't put the mount & spool valve on the right also. I would recommend you purchase your spool valve first, then make your mount based on how far back (how close you want it to you) it feels comfortable when sitting on the tractor. You can also build the bracket to make sure there's no "clearance" issues with anything that way. Once you've got that far, all that's left is a few quick welds on the bracket to the uprite. Good luck with it & if youd like to understand better what I mean, feel free to message me.
  • blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Utah Smitty and 4 others have said thanks

#4 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • 586 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted January 24, 2020 - 10:38 PM

KJMWELD. what you said makes sense to buy a valve first then fit it accordingly Been starting to look into them but didn’t go real in depth with it yet. Thanks for the ideas
  • blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#5 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 2263 Thanks
  • 927 posts

Posted January 24, 2020 - 11:11 PM

I've had really good luck with surplus center. Their prices are usually about the cheapest you'll find, & there tech guys (if you call them) will help you figure out exactly what's best for your application. Here's a link to their site (hydraulics section) Incase you're not familiar with them...

https://www.surplusc...com/hydraulics/
  • blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Utah Smitty and 3 others have said thanks

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 47601 Thanks
  • 51049 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 05:30 AM

Nice score there! Good luck with getting it working!

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 14455 Thanks
  • 9728 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 08:02 AM

I like Surplus Center too. I saved $600 buying from them when I needed to replace the hoses on my big backhoe. If you get into a tight technical problem look at Bailey Sales. When you go to either of these sites, take some time to look through there surplus tractor hardware and seats. Good Luck, Rick

• blackjackjakexxix, Utah Smitty, logmillingman and 3 others have said thanks

#8 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • 586 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 10:16 AM

Here’s another question to pose to you. Would anyone out there have the correct length of the bucket curl cylinder lengths. Mine has two different length cylinders on it. Someone must have replaced one. The shorter one is wasted due to the fact that the cylinder was exposed where the other one was in and ok. Any help is certainly appreciated.
  • blackjackjakexxix, Utah Smitty, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#9 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • 586 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 10:17 AM

Also does anyone have any info at all on these Kwik way loaders. I can’t seem to find parts lists or operator manuals anywhere for it.
  • blackjackjakexxix and logmillingman have said thanks

#10 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 3937 Thanks
  • 2484 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 11:05 AM

Looking at the rust on the ram it doesn't appear to be terrible. I would try cleaning it up with fine steel wool. If the shaft is chromed the steel wool won't hurt the chrome. It is hard to tell from the pictures but I think I have cleaned up much worse and got good service from them. Most important is to remove any thing that may become loose and contaminate the rest of the system.   Don

• blackjackjakexxix, logmillingman and nsengineer have said thanks

#11 Charlottedarter OFFLINE  

Charlottedarter
  • Member No: 92864
  • 68 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 11:40 AM

https://www.mytracto...1244193&slide=5

Installed Photo of what I think may be a very similar operational Kwikway loader...pulled from another forum.  Just happened to run across it in their MonkeyWards/Gilson forum.    

• blackjackjakexxix, Utah Smitty and nsengineer have said thanks

#12 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • 586 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 01:12 PM

Secondtry, thanks for the info. My problem I just ran across is that there are two different length cylinders on it. Don’t know which one is right although it appears the rusted one might be correct.

Charolettedarter thanks for the photos. I’ll study them closely. Appriciate info from you both
  • blackjackjakexxix, Utah Smitty and logmillingman have said thanks

#13 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • 586 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 01:17 PM

Also just found out the rusted cylinder is bent 😢
  • blackjackjakexxix and logmillingman have said thanks

#14 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 16803 Thanks
  • 5660 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 02:02 PM

Looks like Kwik-way as a company is still going but does not appear they manufacture back hoes or loaders anymore.  Having said that they may still have information on those products - you could try contacting them by phone or email - just a suggestion

http://www.kwikwaybl...om/products.htm

Edited by 29 Chev, January 25, 2020 - 03:00 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Utah Smitty, logmillingman and 2 others have said thanks

#15 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 16803 Thanks
  • 5660 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 02:12 PM

Here are a few links to Kwik-Way loader manuals - one of them may be similar to yours -

https://www.mytracto...0/#post-3980082

https://gardentracto...wik-way-loader/

https://gardentracto...-loader-manual/

https://gardentracto...napper-tractor/

Edited by 29 Chev, January 25, 2020 - 03:00 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Utah Smitty, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks