• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 148 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted January 21, 2020 - 09:13 AM

Pair, rear wheel weights off Jacobsen GT16 or Ford LGT 40lb?

Located in South Jersey, 08360

$100 takes them

https://southjersey....7050105490.html

00000_1JVBhOf0Zf7_1200x900.jpg

Edited by oldiron, January 21, 2020 - 09:25 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#2 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 1807 Thanks
  • 1286 posts

Posted January 21, 2020 - 10:16 PM

I can use these

#3 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 148 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted January 22, 2020 - 04:00 AM

Not sure about shipping these, probably best if picked up in NJ 08360.

Every method I checked for either two 50# boxes or one 100# box was far more than the cost of the wheel weights.

I'm a half hour from Atlantic City, about 45 minutes south of Philadelphia.

#4 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 330 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted January 22, 2020 - 06:39 AM

They will fit in one of the Postal Service flat rate boxes, but they have to be shipped separately.  I have shipped Jake weights that way.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • 1807 Thanks
  • 1286 posts

Posted January 22, 2020 - 05:02 PM

I am in salt lake city UT. I have m
Bought a bunch of jake weights. Sprint is correct flat rate box, one per box. 18 bucks each to ship. If you can ship I will take em

#6 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 148 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted January 23, 2020 - 02:22 AM

I will look into it and let you know, I guess I'd have to get some of the flat rate boxes. Does the PO have them or do I have to order them?

#7 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • 1807 Thanks
  • 1286 posts

Posted January 23, 2020 - 02:43 AM

Post office has them. They are free

#8 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 148 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted January 23, 2020 - 11:49 PM

I went to the P.O. this afternoon, they gave me three of one size box, but they're only 11 7/8" x13"x4" (They're marked FRB2)

They gave me one of another box, marked 12x12x5" but they only had one. (Marked Large Flat Rate Box). She said the FRB2 size is discontinued and they only had the one. This box measures 11 7/8" inside as well, despite being marked 12". She said if I need more or something else I need to order them online.

The problem is the wheel weights measure 12 7/8" in diameter and both of these boxes aren't much heavier than a Corn Flakes box.

She handed me the boxes and warned me that they won't accept it if its bulging or covered in tape. "No more than one piece of tape on each flap seam are the rules" she said and pointed to a Huge Lexan FLAT RATE SHIPPING rules list on the wall. Showing all the things they won't accept. Maybe they let more slide when the carrier picks up the package vs. taking it to the counter at the P.O.?

Both are considered Large Flat Rate boxes at $19.95 each. However i see they list a 'medium Flat rate box that matches the sizes of the FRB2 box that's only $14.95 to ship, they didn't have any of those there. When I asked if there were any other options she said that each region has their own boxes and sizes.

I used to do a lot of eBay, but long before all the Flat Rate Boxes came out, we would all but cover some boxes in tape to keep sharp or heavy items inside. They made it clear they don't allow that anymore. It sounds like they're fed up with people shipping 150 lbs of lead and marking the box 69 lbs.

Are they letting these get by with a big bulge and lots of tape? I'll have to reinforce the box somehow to keep this much weight in the box. I tried sliding the one weight into the narrow box and when I tried to  pick it up, the box turned into a rag and collapsed even with tape banding over two sides.

Are either of these the boxes you saw used before?

0123202312-00.jpg

#9 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 148 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted January 24, 2020 - 12:01 AM

I went ahead and ordered some boxes online, apparently if I use the Med. Flat rate version of the same box they gave me its only $14.95. Both boxes give the same measurements.

#10 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 330 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted January 24, 2020 - 06:41 AM

Should be your top box in the photo.  They do bulge the sides just a tad.  My local PO has had no issues with that, or extra tape on the seams.  You likely ran into a power trip PO employee.  We used to have one at our PO, I would just see who was working through the front window, and come back later if she was there.  The PO union makes some employees not want to do anything that even resembles extra work.  You can't get by over weight, they should be weighing it right in front of you, flat rate caps at 75 lbs., I think.  Just put one per box.

#11 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 148 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 01:50 AM

They dropped off 3,  medium flat rate boxes today, not the ones I ordered, was told that the square FRX boxes are back ordered and may not ship til next week. The boxes they sent were loose, the mail lady just left them on my step.(I'm assuming there were only 3, a few could have blown away). Do they need a piece of wood or anything as bottom reinforcement?

#12 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • 1807 Thanks
  • 1286 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 04:22 PM

No, just tape the living crap out of them. I use the tape with the strings in it
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 51008 Thanks
  • 52649 posts

Posted January 25, 2020 - 05:59 PM

No, just tape the living crap out of them. I use the tape with the strings in it

AH! The shipping tape!

#14 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 148 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted January 31, 2020 - 09:51 AM

Still no sign of the large flat rate boxes, I called the PO but they said they're hard to get sometimes.

It also looks like they raised the rates since I checked last week, I get $21.50 now for the large FR box.
Maybe that's what the hold up is on the boxes? I stopped at the PO yesterday to see if I could maybe get one FR box but they didn't have a single FR box there at all.

The wheel weights fit best in the Medium Flat Rate boxes but they told me they have a 20lb weight limit.

I was told that the older boxes, although the same size and not marked MED FR, are obsolete and can't be used.

The woman I spoke to said its got to do with the tracking and insurance and that those boxes were for when the PO was using FedEx. I guess their only good for box padding now. What gets me is that I know I've gotten 75 lbs of lead ingots in the Med. FR boxes in the past from a guy in GA off eBay but that was a few years ago.

#15 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 148 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted January 31, 2020 - 04:10 PM

I went a little further and called the local Post Master this afternoon, I was told that the info online and what the woman at the counter told me was wrong. She said that there's no weight limit on any flat rate box on domestic shipping, the weight limits only apply to International shipping.

So, that means that both wheel weights will ship for $30.10 in a medium flat rate box. Each box would weight about 53 lbs.

She also said that the large FR boxes are hard to come by for some reason lately, she wasn't sure why.
I also noticed that the rates went up since I checked last week. Apparently a new price increase took effect on Jan 26.

• KennyP and kjmweld have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sold