• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 2134 Thanks
  • 886 posts

Posted February 08, 2020 - 08:11 AM

29 Chev, All the time and effort you are spending on this! So nice to have a quick reference to these manuals that are now improved. I have been referring to the manual site here for several years and would have been lost on a few things if it hadn't existed. I've been so grateful that the time was spent several years ago to create the manual section, and now it keeps getting better. Thank you for your labor of love!

Well said!  :thumbs:

• blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks

#17 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 08, 2020 - 09:36 AM

Chev,

Are you familiar with pivot tables in excel? With this tool you can put all the data on one sheet and then pivot it in a new sheet. It's then possible to easily generate lists of what part is fitted to what model.

Rgds

Heliosuk.

I am not an expert in excel by any means and I am not familiar with pivot tables - thanks for the tip - I will check into it.

My main concern right now is adding the illustration numbers, part numbers, descriptions and quantity information from the parts lists into the excel format so that it can be easily copied and pasted by other people who are much wiser with computer programs than I am - I will call this the "grunt" work stage since it requires, copying and pasting, typing if the pdf is poor quality and then proof reading and correcting things as required to make sure the information is as accurate as I can make it.  Once that is done then other's can then use the information and manipulate it as their skills and desires dictate.  In the excel format that I am using with each worksheet for a different attachment model then the information can be used with the illustrated parts page as a parts list and the workbook can also be searched to see if a part number shows up in other worksheets to determine if it was used on another attachment.  That way the information can be used similarly to how the information that LPBolens put together on the tube frame and large frame tractors while still retaining the parts list layout for those who wish to use it as a parts list.  Once the information is entered I will leave it up to others who are more computer savvy to take the information to the next level if they wish or change the format by using pivot tables or other means to adjust the layout to suit their individual needs or make the layout more user friendly.

• blackjackjakexxix and logmillingman have said thanks

#18 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 09, 2020 - 09:20 AM

Got to thinking that some people may not be able to open the Tube Frame and Large Frame tractor part number interchange that LPBolens created if they don't have the software for excel files.  I printed the excel sheet information to a pdf which should allow most people to be able to open it and then they can press the "Control" and "F" key at the same time to launch a search window in the pdf.  Then a Bolens part number can be entered and by clicking the arrow signs beside the window the document can be searched to see if it exists in the file.  If it does then the number will be highlighted in blue and in the lines that follow it should also show if the part number was used on any other Bolens tractor models.  Attached is the pdf version - there are 1210 pages so if the number is near the end of the document it may take a few seconds for the search to complete.  Note - with the pdf the option to edit or update the part numbers like you can in excel won't exist.

Hope this helps someone. 

Attached Files

Edited by 29 Chev, February 09, 2020 - 09:23 AM.

• KennyP, logmillingman and Dan O have said thanks

#19 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 10, 2020 - 11:08 AM

Did a test this morning by sorting the attachment information I have entered by part number and then printed a pdf to see if there were many part numbers showing up over multiple attachments.  Attached is the pdf that shows the results.

Attached Files

• blackjackjakexxix, slf-uk, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#20 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 10, 2020 - 06:15 PM

Update of the excel file and pdf with the parts illustrations.

Attached Files

• blackjackjakexxix, slf-uk and logmillingman have said thanks

#21 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 12, 2020 - 01:18 PM

Learned a couple of things today (which is always a good thing).  The first was that Bolens must have tried to get back out of the hardware business - found this parts list that shows a description of nuts, bolts, etc. without a part number and it was suggested the items may be purchased locally.  I also learned that along with the normal 7 digit part numbers some of the newer parts list also contain 10 digit part numbers for some of the items - I assume this was about the time that Garden Way purchased the company.  This must have been a bit of a learning curve for some of the older dealerships - perhaps the sales of whisky went up a bit during that transition time??

Attached Thumbnails

• 14025-14026_Page_2.jpg
  • 10038S_Page_2.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix, slf-uk and 1 other said thanks

#22 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 14, 2020 - 11:35 AM

Latest update - the pdf of the images is getting bigger while the excel file is still quite a manageable size - have approximately 33 attachments entered.

Attached Files

Edited by 29 Chev, February 14, 2020 - 11:37 AM.

• ducky, blackjackjakexxix and logmillingman have said thanks

#23 heliosuk OFFLINE  

heliosuk
  • Member No: 59196
  • 264 Thanks
  • 185 posts

Posted February 15, 2020 - 05:59 PM

Chev, can you send me the list in post 19 as an excel file so I can have a play with it as a pivot chart. I think this would be what you are trying to achieve. 

Regards,

heliosuk.

#24 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 16, 2020 - 07:34 AM

Chev, can you send me the list in post 19 as an excel file so I can have a play with it as a pivot chart. I think this would be what you are trying to achieve. 

Regards,

heliosuk.

For my own preference I like having the excel workbook as separate worksheets so that they (along with the pdf with the model illustration pictures) can serve both as a parts list for various attachments and being able to view both the illustration and the list of parts at the same time by resizing each file on the screen so they are side by side. In this format the workbook can also be searched using the "Control F" command, selecting the "search workbook" option and "find all" to tell me if a part number was used on more than one attachment.  If it was then it will show up in various cells in each of the work sheets and a message will state how many cells the part number is in.  Then using the "find next" option will advance me through the various sheets stopping each time the part number is found and looking at the bottom tab I can determine at a glance the model that each work sheet pertains to (the worksheet can also be rolled so the top of the worksheet is displayed to also see the model number and a more detailed description of the attachment and also see what series of tractor it was used on).  As I have stated once the attachment part numbers are entered into the worksheet format people can manipulate it by easily copying and pasting them to create their own layout preference.  What I am trying to achieve is to get the information from the parts pages into this format which is the time consuming and sometimes challenging part depending on the quality / condition of the pdf document.  Add to this the documents that have the space in the part numbers that were used at times and also the addition of the dotted lines rather than the grid format that was used in some of the documents in the 80's and it can become a very slow process as they don't copy well so there is a lot of manually correcting / editing of the information that is copied using the text recognition software that I have.  My guess would be that this is why LPBolens stopped after he got the tube frame and large frame tractors done and why nobody else has taken on the challenge of adding the attachment parts numbers (could be wrong).  This will not be an easy or quick task as there are a lot of Bolens attachments that were used and at some point I may get discouraged and give up but I am stubborn (or stupid) and like a challenge so we will see how it goes.  As I have stated the Bolens family has a lot of attachments and the part numbers used are a vast quantity but each journey begins with a first step and since LPBolens started the first step a few years ago I view this as the "grunt" work that will further the journey and the more part numbers that are added the more knowledge we, as a Bolens community, will have about them as some of the early descriptions were not as detailed as the later ones for the same part number. 

From what I have learned about pivot tables they might be good for creating a list of part numbers that are used on various attachments and seeing the various models but in that format they would be of little use if someone wanted to view all the part numbers used on a certain model of attachment the way one does when we look at an illustrated parts list - however I could be wrong.

As per your request attached is the file that I used to create the pdf in post 19 - please note it has not been updated with the attachment part numbers that I have added since Feb 10 2020.

Attached Files

Edited by 29 Chev, February 16, 2020 - 08:46 AM.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#25 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 21, 2020 - 11:47 AM

Latest update of the Excel Sheet and Illustrations.  The pdf of the illustrations was getting close to the maximum allowed on the site so I split it into Part 1 and Part 2.  The Excel work book is still quite a small file size.

Attached Files

• Bolens 1000, ducky, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#26 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 22, 2020 - 03:08 PM

Learning a little bit more about the Bolens items as I keep adding attachments.  The extensions that are shown for the 38" Snow Caster for the Tube Frame tractors are the same part number as the ones shown for the 42" Large Frame Snow Casters such as the Model 18100.  For some reason Bolens never listed them as an attachment kit for the Tube Frame 18538 Snow Caster but did for the Large Frame models such as the 18042, 18043 and the 18100 - attachment part # 18043.  The 18043 part number also shows up as an attachment for the "Q" Series tractors. Perhaps there wasn't much demand for them for the Tube Frame Series of Snow Casters to make it worthwhile to offer them as an attachment for the Tube Frame series??

#27 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 02:18 PM

Found another parts list that does not have part numbers for the common hardware items (for a large frame mower deck) - the date on this parts list was 1981 which establishes a more definite time period of when this started occurring.  Probably Bolens was trying to reduce inventory and perhaps shipping costs for themselves and their dealers - just speculation. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 18110_Page_3.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#28 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 25, 2020 - 03:23 PM

Learned a bit more about the 7 digit versus 10 digit part numbers today.  Found two different parts lists for the 18300 mower deck that was used on the Medium Frame tractors - the first parts list covered the 18300-02 to 05 serial numbers and the other parts list covered the 18300-08 and 09 serial numbers.  Attached is a picture of the pages side by side and while a few part numbers changed and a few items got left out over the run of the series the thing I noticed was that there are several items that have 10 digit part numbers on the later series page.  Except for two items ( which I assume was because the items acutally changed) the 10 digit part numbers that were used are the same as the 7 digit part numbers on the earlier series decks with a "021" added to change the part numbers from 7 digits to 10 digits.  I have placed a red dot beside the items that appear to have the same part numbers with the "021" added at the end and green dots beside the part numbers that are not the same - found it interesting that they also end in "021".  Not sure if the "021" was added to signify that a 10 digit part number was originally a 7 digit Bolens part number or if the "021" means something else.  Thought it might indicate a mower deck series but I checked the page with the 10  digit numbers that I posted earlier (also for a mower deck) and they all end in "001" so I don't think it indicates a mower series.  I wonder if the 10 digit part numbers were to try and standardize the Bolens part numbers to conform with Troybilt part numbers or it could also be that the 10 digit numbers meant the parts could fit on a Bolens  as well as a similar product in the Troybilt line??  

The date on the earlier parts list was 12/80 and the later parts list is dated 4-91.

Another Bolens mystery to try and figure out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10 Digit Part Numbers.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, February 25, 2020 - 03:27 PM.

#29 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 16832 Thanks
  • 18653 posts

Posted February 25, 2020 - 07:10 PM

That was something Gardenway did when they acquired Bolens , nothing changed about the part but for what ever reason they added the extra set of numbers on the end , but interestingly enough they did not do that to every part #

The parts industry is often a mystery sometimes a number changes because the design changes while other times nothing changes , still occurs to modern parts today , sure makes it fun for dealers.

Some have said if the part is made at another plant they will change the number as well

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#30 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 17865 Thanks
  • 5945 posts

Posted February 26, 2020 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for your insight Brian.  It could even be that if the shade or colour of paint changed on a part then that could trigger an updated part number.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and logmillingman have said thanks