#1 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted January 18, 2020 - 04:13 PM

Ever since I have gotten my round back Snow Caster I get a build up of snow around the gearcase which I don't think is normal.  I try to make sure I lift the snow caster when I reverse so it doesn't catch any snow and drag it into the opening as I am backing up.  The snow appears to be getting in from around the chute area where the chute base sits on top of the snow exit flange opening.  One thing my snow caster appears to be missing is the sealing ring that is shown in the parts diagram - I assume it got removed at some point before I saw the snow caster.  This makes the chute base slightly loose with a bit of up and down movement where it is sandwiched under the top plate.  The gear case gets warm over the course of three hours use (long laneway) and as a result the snow that is built up around the gearcase tends to melt and then freeze making the snow build up turn to ice.  While it does not appear to be creating a problem with things freezing up around the input or output shafts I decided to see if I could make it so that the snow being thrown up by the two auger paddles would be better sealed off from getting between the chute base and the top flange of the snow exit hole.

I decided to create a sleeve out of sheet metal that I could bolt in the inside of the exit hole and protrude up about 1/2" above the flange so that it would direct the snow upwards into the chute base and out the chute.  Shaped the sleeve to conform to the inside of the exit hole and tapered the bottom edge at the front so it does not interfere with the paddles rotating below it and I am hoping it will keep the snow being thrown by the paddles from working its way between the exit hole flange and the chute base and back around the gear case.  Drilled three holes at the two sides and the rear to hold it in place and mounted it with three 1/4" diameter bolts as per the attached pictures.

Today it is blustery out and we have gotten about 6" of new snow so far that the wind is playing with so it looks like I will get to try it out tomorrow and see if it improves things by keeping the snow from getting in by the gear case where it is held in by the bottom hitch assembly and building up. 

Thought I would do a post on it and see if other snow caster owners have experienced a similar snow build up around the gear case and perhaps a possible cure if they have.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Snow Removed From Around Gear Case.jpg
  • 2 Flat Flange Where Chute Base Sits.jpg
  • 3 Sleeve Made Out Of Sheet Metal Bottom View.jpg
  • 4 Sleeve Made Out Of Sheet Metal Top View.jpg
  • 5 Sleeve Installed Inside Opening With Three Bolts.jpg
  • 6 Sleeve Installed Inside Opening With Three Bolts.jpg
  • 7 Sleeve Installed Inside Opening With Three Bolts.jpg
  • 8 Chute Installed Back In Place.jpg

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, Dave in NY and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 52500 Thanks
  • 53091 posts

Posted January 18, 2020 - 05:00 PM

I can't help, Stew! Never had a snowblower.

• 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#3 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted January 18, 2020 - 05:54 PM

Both of my snow casters have a seal ring and I haven't noticed any major snow buildup in by the gearbox. Looks like you have a solution figured out though. Ought to work fine. 

• 29 Chev, logmillingman and 4getgto have said thanks

#4 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted January 19, 2020 - 11:48 AM

The Snow Fairy and Mr Wind were generous - 6"+ and higher where it drifted.  The worst spot was at the road where the plow had it about 14" deep - not complaining as they have to put it somewhere.  The snow caster got a 3-1/2 hour workout this morning and the sleeve worked quite nicely as there was no build up of snow around the gear case today the way it used to.   

• KennyP, Dave in NY, propane1 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted January 19, 2020 - 01:20 PM

We got about 5" here and I ran mine maybe 45 minutes. Heres what it looked like when I got done. A bit in there, nothing enough to worry about. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4204.JPG
  • 100_4203.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#6 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 703 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted January 19, 2020 - 05:11 PM

29 Chev

Do you find the plastic sled liner in the chute an improvement?

Garry

• Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#7 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted January 19, 2020 - 05:14 PM

We got about 5" here and I ran mine maybe 45 minutes. Heres what it looked like when I got done. A bit in there, nothing enough to worry about. 

Thanks for the pictures - was going to take some when I was done but forgot the camera in the house and the inside of the opening probably would not have shown up real well once the blower was inside the shop.  That is about the same snow build up as what mine had after this morning - before there would be snow right against the gear case, PTO shaft and output shaft and up to the top of the gear case.

• Dave in NY, propane1 and logmillingman have said thanks

#8 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted January 19, 2020 - 05:47 PM

29 Chev

Do you find the plastic sled liner in the chute an improvement?

Garry

I find that it keeps the snow from sticking to and plugging up the chute when the snow is wet with the temperatures right around freezing.  That is not to say that the opening won't plug up as it has a few times since I put the "snow carpet" in place when the snow is really wet and great for making snow people and snow balls but it is definitely an improvement in my opinion to the way it used to be.  I am hoping this summer to freshen up the paint on the snow caster and see if I can add pieces of the snow carpet in the area that is just below the snow exit opening where it mates to the chute. Still have about half the snow carpet piece I bought when I first installed it and it was relatively inexpensive - think it was about $7.00 Canadian at the time of purchase.  The green is not real pretty colour wise as it looks a little strange in the chute but I think the snow carpet is available in several colours - I bought mine after Christmas and was limited to what the store had left on the shelf as they weren't going to order anymore until the next year. 

Here is a link to the thread that I did on it when I installed it a couple of years ago if you are interested.

https://gardentracto...th-snow-carpet/

• propane1 and logmillingman have said thanks

#9 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted January 20, 2020 - 11:32 AM

Got about 3" of light fluffy snow between yesterday and last night - normally would have left it but since it drifted in a few spots and I had a few places where vehicles were parked yesterday that I wanted to clean up I decided to put the snow caster to work again this morning.  It was about 13°F when I started and warmed up to 18°F by the time I was done about two hours later and when I was done the sun was shining so I took a few pictures of the tractor and in the area around the gear case.  The wind was very light this morning but swirling as well so that it didn't make much difference which way I was blowing the snow was coming back and covering the tractor and to a lesser extent me at times.  As you can see by the pictures there is a little bit of snow that has turned to ice around the bottom area of the gear case but for the most part the gear case is exposed.  it is definitely an improvement with the addition of the sleeve as the area around the gear case would have been covered with snow and ice before and the gear case plug and bolts would not have been visible in the left inspection hole for snow.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Tractor After Removing Snow.jpg
  • 2 Tractor After Removing Snow.jpg
  • 3 Outlet Opening.jpg
  • 4 View Through Inspection Hole.jpg
  • 5 Left Rear View.jpg
  • 6 Right Rear View.jpg
  • 7 Right Rear View.jpg

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, Dave in NY and 1 other said thanks

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 17492 Thanks
  • 18846 posts

Posted January 20, 2020 - 06:10 PM

Good work as always Stew , my snow caster always gets loaded up with snow too , I'll have to see if the ring is gone on mine too

• Dave in NY, 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#11 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted January 21, 2020 - 09:41 AM

Would be interested in seeing a picture of the seal to get an idea of how it mounted and how it was shaped as it is hard to tell from the parts list.  If someone has theirs apart sometime and wants to share a picture or two it would be appreciated.  I assume the seal was made out of plastic or nylon but looking at the parts picture it appears to sit above the chute base and goes up against the upper plate but as I say it is hard to tell for sure.  I do have an old square back snow caster I picked up in a deal a few years ago - may have to check it out in the spring as it appears to be a similar set up looking at the parts list for it. 

• Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#12 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted January 26, 2020 - 12:21 PM

A little update on the sleeve as I started to remove the top cover off of the snow caster to work on it and I found out that the sleeve made it very difficult to remove the cover.  The cover was snug going on at the front when I installed it when I added the sleeve and I found out that because the sleeve was sticking up about 1/2" at the front it caught on the bottom of the chute base - bent the sleeve a little bit (as you can see in the first picture) but I was able to straighten it.  Trimmed the sleeve so it only protrudes upward about 1/4" around the front area now which allows the cover to be installed and removed ok.  I also noticed the closure plate at the front on my snow caster was slotted to make it adjustable so I moved it down a bit which took out some of the upward movement of the chute base.  Think the sleeve should still work ok to help keep the snow from passing between the chute base and the snow outlet opening but will have to verify it the next time I use the snow caster. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Front Area Makes Getting Cover Off Difficult.jpg
  • 2 Front Area Trimmed So It Only Protrudes Up Quarter Inch.jpg
  • 3 Front Area Trimmed So It Only Protrudes Up Quarter Inch.jpg
  • 4 Front Area Trimmed So It Only Protrudes Up Quarter Inch.jpg
  • 5 Closure Plate.jpg

• logmillingman said thank you

#13 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted February 08, 2021 - 05:47 PM

Just an update on this thread.  I was looking for a picture of a couple of Bolens parts today and just for the heck of it I punched in the number of the seal (Bolens 1719394) that I am missing on my 18538 snow caster around the top plate where the chute goes and I found one for sale on ebay that showed a picture of sorts (still in the package) so I thought I would share it.  Looking at the parts list illustration I had it in my mind that the seal was a solid round piece made out of nylon or a similar plastic material.  Turns out that the seal is actually quite flexible and appears to be made out of rubber looking at the attached picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1719394 seal Ring From Ebay.jpg

• Bolens 1000 and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#14 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 2488 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted February 16, 2021 - 01:29 PM

I had about 2 hours using mine this morning. Really heavy, dense snow with a crust on top. We got about 4". Guess we dodged the worst of it. So here is how it looked around the gearbox. Got quite a bit packed in there, but I was wallowing through some drifted spots too. Mine doesn't have a rubber ring/ gasket on it either. Just the white plastic ring. Tractor lives in a pretty much heated garage so the snow always melts. Possibly I'll try your modification on mine. 

Attached Thumbnails

• gearbox 001.JPG
  • gearbox 002.JPG

• 29 Chev said thank you

#15 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 22063 Thanks
  • 7307 posts

Posted February 16, 2021 - 03:17 PM

Interesting that yours is a plastic ring - wonder if originally it was a plastic ring and then got switched over to a rubber gasket.

We had 10" yesterday thanks to the Snow Fairy - got most of the laneway cleaned out and the roll pin that holds the small gear to the input shaft broke so took a couple of hours to replace it - then finished up around 1:00 pm yesterday.  Snow Fairy and Mr. Wind played last night and left me to clean up their handy work this morning.  Got 12" to 14" in the laneway and 2 foot drifts around the house and shop.  Decided to try out the little guy and see how the new roll pin would hold up - started at 7:00 am and finished up about 1:30 pm and am happy to say the new roll pin stayed driving the gear (so far).  Had to stop a couple of times to 10-100 and add fuel. The Honda GX390 purred away except once when she complained that she was thirsty again and sputtered when I started to move ahead.  Disengaged the PTO and got back to the fuel can before she ran out completely and once I put some go go juice in the tank she was happy again.  In the laneway the snow was up to the top of the snow caster and a few spots was going over top of the caster body.  The 1050 and the snow caster earned their keep today and there was only a minimal amount of snow in the cavity around the gear case once I was done.  Also seem to have the throttle area of the carb building up with snow and then freezing problem fixed so I am pretty impressed with what these little tractors and attachments are capable of.

Only took a few pictures today - the first one is where I had cleaned up at the shed door so I could maneuver around easily to get off the tractor to add fuel.  The other two pictures are of what the 1050 looked like after here work out today.  Looks like we may get to do it all over again tomorrow if the wind doesn't drop a bit. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2 Snow.jpg
  • 3 1050 With Snow Caster.jpg
  • 4 1050 With Snow Caster.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, February 17, 2021 - 10:24 AM.

• KennyP, Dave in NY, Austen and 1 other said thanks