• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#31 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3050 Thanks
  • 1169 posts

Posted January 26, 2020 - 06:59 PM

That has got to be the worst part of any project. It always seems to take such a long time to put all the tools away again & pick up/sweep up. 🙄😒
  • logmillingman said thank you

#32 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted January 30, 2020 - 07:06 PM

As happens sometimes life has kept me rather busy this week. I did manage to get out the half plastic drum and get an electrolisis tank going. The first batch of parts is bubbling away quite nicely. I also got a package in the mail today. Bought this filter base off eBay. I didn't have any luck at any of the local parts stores finding a hydraulic filter and figured that this is the direction I should go in. It was listed as for Bolens-TroyBuilt. I thought it might be worth a try. It has the dark green color on it like the later Bolens equipment. I was happy to find that the fittings even matched the tractors fittings. Am reasonably sure I will end up fabricating a longer hard line to make this work. Have to set the fender pan back on to see where I can mount this. Looks like there shouldn't be much problem finding a suitable filter. This one happened to be an oil filter for a Kohler motor I threaded on for the photo. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0744108.JPG
  • IMG_0746109.JPG
  • IMG_0745107.JPG
  • IMG_0747110.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 2 others have said thanks

#33 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted February 01, 2020 - 10:32 PM

Well I still haven't gotten to work on the frame tubes yet. This project took me most of the afternoon. I decided to work on the new fender support, gas tank mount. I have the end pieces tack welded in and the gas tank hold down straps built. Got the hole drilled for the fitting to thread into the bottom of the tank and also several weep holes to let out any water or even gas that might get spilled. I cut out a spacer from a cutting board to fit over the heads of the 4 bolts so the bottom of the gas tank doesn't rub on them. There will also be a piece of rubber over the plastic too. I figured that having a bolt or screw down on the bottom end of the straps on the inside of the box would be a pain to get to and decided to anchor them near the top of the front panel. Much easier to unbolt and remove the straps if the tank ever needs to be removed. Just trying to think ahead here. I used material picked from a scrap tray at work to build the straps. The straps are about 3/4" wide 16 gauge, weren't too hard to form by just bending them around the tank. The rounded end pieces are slugs that are punched out of larger pieces to create a slot for a bolt. Literally thousands of them are scrapped every week. I grab a hand full occasionally as they are quite handy when fabricating.  Nothing very fancy, but it should work. Now I have to figure out how to mount the filter base to the front of the support. The size of filter that I end up choosing will determine if it mounts horizontal or vertical. Vertical would probably create less mess when time for a change. We'll see, might not have a choice. I'll have to set the fender pan back on and have the rear wheel off to get a better visual of how things need to be. Probably weld a piece of plate or angle to the support to bolt the filter base to. Stay tuned. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0540.JPG
  • 100_0541.JPG
  • 100_0542.JPG
  • 100_0544.JPG
  • 100_0537.JPG
  • 100_0538.JPG
  • 100_0543.JPG
  • 100_0539.JPG
  • 100_0545.JPG
  • 100_0546.JPG
  • 100_0547.JPG

Edited by Dave in NY, February 01, 2020 - 10:38 PM.

#34 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 3050 Thanks
  • 1169 posts

Posted February 01, 2020 - 10:54 PM

Another New Yorker with Fab skills. 👍 I like how you did that.
  • KennyP, Dave in NY, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#35 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted February 04, 2020 - 07:02 PM

Finally got time to figure out where to mount the filter and base. Unless I wanted to do some cutting and reshaping of the fender pan I had to mount it running vertically. Don't think that will be any problem. It seems to clear everything and won't be in the way of anything else. I added a piece of angle to the front of the support to bolt the base to. Going to fab a new hard line as the original wont be long enough. I have 2 fittings ordered from the local NAPA that I will use on the new line. Not going to cut up the original for the nuts and sleeves. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0548.JPG
  • 100_0549.JPG
  • 100_0550.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 3 others have said thanks

#36 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 3050 Thanks
  • 1169 posts

Posted February 04, 2020 - 07:49 PM

Nice & protected there, looks like you can get at it easy enough as long as you have the "socket style" filter wrench... But won't that make a terrible mess when you screw it off?
  • KennyP, Dave in NY, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#37 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted February 04, 2020 - 08:38 PM

I am going to figure out a drip tray to mount under it if possible. Hopefully get the oil to drain out past the frame tube. Yes, filters mounted like that can cause a mess. The filter on the 1477 is mounted like that too, right on the side of the trans. The oil filters on the old Mopar slant-sixes were almost vertical upside down. They always spewed all over when you unscrewed them.
  • KennyP, logmillingman and kjmweld have said thanks

#38 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 3050 Thanks
  • 1169 posts

Posted February 04, 2020 - 09:19 PM

I wasn't meaning to sound critical of how you did it at all, just thought I'd point out what's surely going to make a mess (unless you build a tray of some sort). Sounds like you're already on top of that tho. 👌
  • KennyP, Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#39 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted February 05, 2020 - 06:18 AM

Oh, no I didn't think that at all. I would have much preferred to mount it straight up and down, but space limitations forced this result. I see that in my post I said that it was vertical but actually is horizontal. Must have been having a brain fart! Now if I was as handy at sheet metal modification as you, I could reshape the fender pan to create the extra room for it. I did consider carving into it after seeing what you have done on your fender pan but I dont want to go to all that work. I have enough cutting and rebuilding on what's already been done to it. Just my thoughts at the present.
  • logmillingman and kjmweld have said thanks

#40 Dukedkt442 OFFLINE  

Dukedkt442
  • Member No: 88476
  • 564 Thanks
  • 283 posts

Posted February 05, 2020 - 01:03 PM

Fantastic work as always!

Not sure that it'll help at this point, but when I added new lines and tank to my [homemade] log splitter a couple years ago, I got a filter and adapter from Northern Tool.  You already have the adapter, but I'd imagine you could source whatever size filter you needed as well, if you don't want to go the eBay/Amazon route.

I assume you'll be using some rear implements that might interfere, but if you have to make new lines, did you consider putting the filter behind the fuel tank?  That'd certainly make filter changes a much easier/quicker affair than removing the fender pan.

Edited by Dukedkt442, February 05, 2020 - 01:05 PM.

• Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#41 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted February 05, 2020 - 06:01 PM

Yes,I did consider having it back there. I think it will be possible to reach in behind the tire with a filter wrench and be able to loosen it and replace it both. No need to remove the fender pan. Worst case I will have to remove the left rear wheel, but I don't think it will really be necessary. Good tip on the filters from Northern. I will probably try our local parts stores for filters first though. The local NAPA is usually very good with things like that.
  • logmillingman, kjmweld, 4getgto and 1 other said thanks

#42 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 2162 Thanks
  • 895 posts

Posted February 06, 2020 - 09:05 AM

Being that the original inline filters got changed every 200 hours you should be fine with it where it is as far as service goes. everything is looking good so far, thanks for sharing it with us here.

• Dave in NY said thank you

#43 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted February 06, 2020 - 07:09 PM

Thank you! Kind of a slow process at the moment. Some days I get quite a bit accomplished and some days not much at all. Been cycling parts through the wash tank and the rusty pieces are going through the electrolysis tank. So far I have a few pieces cleaned and primed. I figured the upgrade to a spin on filter would be easier for maintenance as it looked to me like the fender pan would have to come off to get at the fittings with the original one. Besides that I hadn't had any luck finding a suitable filter to replace the original that would be readily available here in the local parts stores. I don't want to special order a pricey filter, probably online, when a quality spin on filter could be bought at a local parts store for 10 bucks or less. Picked up the fittings needed to make the new hard line today at NAPA and can now get that made. They said they could make new hoses for me too, just bring in the old ones so they can duplicate them. Another local parts store makes hoses too and has a good reputation, so either place should be able to do that for me. As soon as I get the new line and drip tray made I will start on fixing up the frame tubes and some more cleaning on the transaxle. At least that's the master plan right now.

#44 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 49638 Thanks
  • 52005 posts

Posted February 07, 2020 - 06:53 AM

You'll be happier with the spin-on filter!

• Dave in NY, logmillingman and kjmweld have said thanks

#45 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted February 07, 2020 - 07:12 PM

I'm pretty sure that it's the better way to go.

Edited by Dave in NY, February 07, 2020 - 07:13 PM.

• KennyP and logmillingman have said thanks