• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#151 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted June 21, 2020 - 07:08 PM

Finished cleaning and sanding the bottom side. Now has a coat of rust reformer/primer on it. Has to dry 24 hours before painting anything over it.

Attached Thumbnails

• prime 003.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#152 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 06:47 PM

Yesterday I got the tower removed from the tractor and got it worked over. I did a bit of hammer and dolly work and also a few dabs of Bondo. Lots of sanding and then gave it a good coat of rust reformer. Also used some seam sealer on the fender pan around my repair work and also the factory joint where the two pieces join together. That was all I got accomplished as we had a severe storm and lightning knocked out the power at about 5:30 PM. Never came back on till 7:45 AM today. So today I went to a local auto parts and bought some primer. A Nason product that I have never used before. It is a urethane that mixes with an activator. This was soft of an experiment as I have an automotive repair job coming up soon and I want to use something like this. Not cheap but not the most expensive either, middle of the road so to say. It seemed to go on well and looks like it will work just fine. I got about 2 hours between rain storms to give both a couple of full wet coats. Note the water puddle in the driveway. I will let them sit a couple of days and wet sand them, see what it looks like.

Attached Thumbnails

• prime 001.JPG
  • prime 006.JPG
  • prime 002.JPG
  • prime 003.JPG
  • prime 004.JPG
  • prime 005.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 2 others have said thanks

#153 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3051 Thanks
  • 1169 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 06:56 PM

They look nice & straight. You did a nice job on that fender pan Dave. Did you get them in before they got rain drops on them?
  • Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#154 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted June 23, 2020 - 08:02 PM

Just by minutes. Was cleaning up when it started in again. That’s ok. Beats having the mess inside the garage.
  • KennyP, logmillingman and kjmweld have said thanks

#155 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 19111 Thanks
  • 6455 posts

Posted June 24, 2020 - 07:15 AM

Look great - keep up the great work.

• Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#156 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted June 25, 2020 - 03:29 AM

Look great - keep up the great work.

I'm trying! Just hard to find the time. I really prefer to do body and paint work during the warm months. Small pieces like this are easy to wheel or carry outside for sanding and painting. Really cuts down on the mess inside the garage. The tricky part is to find the perfect day for painting. I suppose I could rig up a temporary painting area in the garage with plastic tarps or plastic sheets. If I did a lot of this type of work I would have to.
  • KennyP, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#157 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 07:20 AM

I wet sanded the tower and fender yesterday and found a few places that I had some sanding scratches showing. Mostly on the fender. I guess my eyesight and patience aren't quite what they used to be. That and I just don't do much of this type of work anymore to be in practice. Anyway- I decided to just glaze the offending places  with some 3M spot putty instead of mixing more urethane primer and spraying again. That would be the preferred way to do it, but this will be easier, simpler for me. Kind of the old-school way for paint prep till the urethane and epoxy primes came along. The urethane primer I put on seemed to do a nice job and I will give them another application of it after I sand out these spots. Just a fender for a worker tractor and It doesn't need to be 100% perfect.

Attached Thumbnails

• mariner 001.JPG
  • mariner 002.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 2 others have said thanks

#158 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted July 31, 2020 - 08:03 PM

I haven't touched this for a month now as I have had numerous other projects that truthfully were more important. This morning I decided to take the time to get some paint on the fender pan. I wet sanded it thoroughly and re-primed it. Then I made a quick fixture that I fastened to the firewood hauler [modified wheelbarrow] to make it easy to paint both sides without hanging it from something on wires. Then off to the store I went in search of paint. I decided to use spray cans instead of buying a quart and mixing with thinner, using the spray-gun. I took the easy way to avoid the process and cleanup when finished. Used good-old Rustoleum. It seemed to go on ok with no issues and looks good enough for me. Its not perfect, but this isn't a restoration or showpiece. I have hopes to spend a bit of time working on the tractor, but I figure it will only be a short time before I get sidetracked again by something else.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0957.JPG
  • 100_0958.JPG
  • 100_0959.JPG
  • 100_0963.JPG
  • 100_0960.JPG
  • 100_0961.JPG
  • 100_0962.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev, kjmweld and 1 other said thanks

#159 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted August 03, 2020 - 07:03 PM

I got some gloss black sprayed on the dash support a couple of days ago and it turned out ok. Was quite rusted and bent when I first started on it. Can still see a few pits from the rust in a few places, but at least it's solid and reasonably straight now. I got that bolted back on today and the hydraulic control valve bolted to it without scratching it up too badly. I then went to work at getting the hoses routed so they looked good too. I did end up installing a 90 deg. ell where the return hose attaches to the filter housing. That made the supply and return hoses run along the frame tube and nest together in a neater appearing configuration. I did the best I could at making the hoses coming off the control valve to not look like a bowl of spaghetti. I finally said it was good enough, they are covered up by the battery tray and won't be seen anyway. I bolted the tray back in to check that it still fit over the hoses with no interference issues. All good. Just because- I checked that the dash plate still fit over the mounting studs. All good there too. I think I am going to bolt a 5 hp B&S motor on the tractor next as a temporary power source. I want to fill the transaxle with fluid and test the lift system for proper function and hopefully have zero leaks. Now would be the time to see if there are any issues and get them corrected before getting the tractor all back together. This might be soon, it might be a few days from now. Stay tuned.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0965.JPG
  • 100_0967.JPG
  • 100_0966.JPG
  • 100_0968.JPG
  • 100_0969.JPG
  • 100_0970.JPG

• KennyP, 29 Chev, kjmweld and 1 other said thanks

#160 Dave in NY ONLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1612 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:56 PM

I got time today to do a test run of the tractor. I did this quickie motor install on a 1254 I have just to see what kind of condition the transaxle was in. So I unbolted the motor from it and bolted in in place on this tractor. I found a v-belt that would work and was able to line up a grove in the pulley on the motor and one on the driveshaft. The pulley on the motor is for a gear-drive application so that's why the misalignment of the belt groves. Nothing very high tech here just 2 scraps of 2x4s,  some carriage bolts and threaded rod with washers and nuts. I filled the transmission with hy-trans fluid and gave it a go. After cycling the lift system and running the transmission forward and reverse a few times I then refilled it to the bottom of the fill hole. I had the rear of the tractor jacked up at the rear so the tires weren't touching the floor when first trying it. After that I put a blanket and a foam pad over the seat support and gas tank to have something to sit on. Took it out for a short drive and all seems well. I probably will tweak the adjustments on the linkage for the foot-treadle and maybe for the brake. I'll know more about that later after getting the tractor in useable condition. The 5 hp. B&S had enough oomph to move it around but I doubt it would ever be able to do much actual work if at all. I didn't see any obvious leaks from anywhere, so that was a good sign. I parked the tractor with newspaper under it incase there is a drip somewhere. I'll know soon enough. I don't remember it leaking before I took it apart, but you never know. I am going to mount a snow blade on it next and see if the lift cylinder stays dry with no leaks. I hadn't tested it for lifting power or leakage prior to this, I just knew it went in and out, or up and down when the control lever was moved. Stay tuned. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0972.JPG
  • 100_0973.JPG
  • 100_0971.JPG
  • 100_0974.JPG
  • 100_0975.JPG

• KennyP, kjmweld and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#161 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3051 Thanks
  • 1169 posts