• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 1573 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted January 16, 2020 - 07:24 PM

Here's another of my impulse purchases. Found this one last July while at an antique tractor-engine show. Looked at it about 5 minutes took it for a drive and made a deal. It came with a very solid snow-dirt blade. Price was reasonable so I bought it. My line of thought at the time was to have a hydrostatic tube tractor for snow blowing duty. The pictures show pretty much what it looked like when I unloaded it. I did steal the ignition switch for another tractor and one of the headlights went in my 1220 as I had one go out last snow storm. The other was cracked and got tossed. I have driven it around some and the transmission seems to function well and the lift system works ok too. I see the lift cylinder is damp on the rod end and will no doubt need resealed. The Kohler runs and sounds ok with no bad noises but smokes blue quite nicely. It is mounted on square tubing welded to the frame tubes. There's been some trimming on the front axle support and of course the hood too. There's a hole in the rear fender pan with what I believe to be a Wheel Horse tank sitting on the tool tray. Craftsman seat assembly possibly, at least the seat itself is that tilts up to access the tank. My idea right now is get a few things removed and see how much work will be involved in repowering and reworking this to suit me. Right off the top of my head I envision a V-twin motor of 16-18 hp. But first I need to have a good look at the basic works of the tractor and decide if this pipe dream is worth pursuing. If not I will have a bunch of parts. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4171.JPG
  • 100_4172.JPG
  • 100_4173.JPG
  • 100_4174.JPG
  • 100_4175.JPG
  • 100_4176.JPG
  • 100_4177.JPG
  • 100_4179.JPG

• KennyP, Sawdust, old coot and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1573 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted January 17, 2020 - 06:10 AM

I had a false start on this last fall and removed the pto assembly and belts when I removed the pulley from the motor. The motor pulley had a crack in it that I failed to see before buying the tractor. Was going to see about having it welded but bought a replacement instead. Then of course I soon got sidetracked by another project.
  • KennyP, Sawdust and logmillingman have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 15313 Thanks
  • 8741 posts

Posted January 17, 2020 - 09:19 AM

That tractor originally had a Tec 14 hp engine.  That is why there is the hump in the hood for the Tec valve cover,etc.  Run some MMO with the gas for a while and the blue may go away.  Those are a great tractor.  Make a great front blade tractor.

• Dave in NY, Sawdust and logmillingman have said thanks

#4 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1573 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted January 17, 2020 - 08:09 PM

Yep, I knew it originally had a Tech. OHV motor. I didn't get any info on the whereabouts of the original motor. My first tube frame tractor about fifteen years ago was a 1256. I used it some to plow snow, but my LF 1250 did blade work faster, better. I ended up selling the 1256 and have wished many times I still had it. I have tried numerous times to buy it back but he doesn't want to give it up. Go figure!  Anyhow, I did a bit of investigation of the Kohler. Took out the sparkplug that isn't very old and found it covered with black soot. Doesn't seem to be fouled with oil. Must be running way rich. I haven't fiddled with anything on the motor yet. I did a compression test and came up with a best of 85 psi. with the choke and throttle wide open. That seems low to me. Maybe sticky rings? Maybe valve breather is stuck-plugged? Maybe just worn out? If  I feel like messing with it I'll try some MMO or some Sea Foam just to see what happens.  An item of interest is the motor has 3 decals on the shroud with conflicting information. 2 different S/Ns listed and 2 different  spec no.s listed. The small rectangular one that lists only the S/N seems to be missing a piece on the end with only 7 digits legible. Not that any of this matters much, just found it curious. I figure it will just get stashed away for future consideration or trading material possibly. Relatively complete and runs so I'm not going to toss it. It has the wider mounting footprint, I wonder what its origin was. A couple pic.s of the pulley that was on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4187.JPG
  • 100_4192.JPG
  • 100_4179.JPG
  • 100_4186.JPG
  • 100_4185.JPG

• 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#5 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 368 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted January 18, 2020 - 12:38 AM

The Kohlers have a compression release. 85psi sounds healthy to me. On a side note I used to garden tractor pull and the hop up parts out there for the K series is crazy.

#6 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 1064 Thanks
  • 619 posts

Posted January 18, 2020 - 01:25 AM

From the way the plug looks I'd say try adjusting the carb. and see if that helps with the smoking.  As for the tags on it the one in the middle and the 2 on the right of it are the original ones to the engine.  The one on the left with no model number listed is for a short block replacement that it must've had at some point in its life

#7 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1573 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted January 18, 2020 - 09:04 AM

Ok, the replacement short block tag makes sense. Hadn't thought of that. When I get a chance I'll try fiddling with the carb settings and see what happens. Seems like I read something about cranking a motor over in reverse rotation to overcome the ACR when doing a compression test. Can't reverse the starter so would have to figure a way to spin it backwards. Probably won't worry about it right now. I see that Kohler parts are plentiful and not too pricey. Motor could be a candidate for a refresh and used on a future project. It's worth keeping if even for just parts.
  • logmillingman said thank you

#8 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1573 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted January 18, 2020 - 11:12 AM

My memory must be slipping! Now I remember testing the AC voltage of the stator soon after bringing the tractor home as there didn't seem to be any indication of a charge registering on the amp meter. Got a decent reading and figured the regulator-rectifier must be dead. It doesn't appear to be the correct one going by the location of the mounting holes compared to the bolt holes on the shroud.
  • Sawdust, 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#9 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1573 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted January 18, 2020 - 06:56 PM

I took time this afternoon to look at the tractor a bit. Started by removing the seat, fender pan and hood. The tilt seat assembly is possibly something I could use. I will have it mounted down lower to the fender pan if I do as the seat was a bit too tall for me. Found the usual stress cracked hinge and stretched metal issue on the lower edge of the hood. Seems common on many of these tractors. No biggie. The gas tank looks to be in decent shape but is a bit small as far as capacity. Possibly could fabricate a new support assembly that would allow a larger tank to mount down lower so the seat could be tucked down closer to the fender pan. I see that the pto actuating lever assembly got nipped by a cut-off wheel, left a grove in it. That can be welded or brazed, again not a big deal. I found the brake linkage was not attached to the brake assembly. Had some wire wrapped around it. Clip or cotter pin missing must be. The hydro filter reminds me of a modern day fuel filter like on my pickup truck. I wonder if they can be bought? Maybe could change to a spin-on type filter. I see the hoses for the lift system are showing their age too. We have a couple places here local that custom make new ones so that shouldn't be a biggie either. I also see the ends of the frame tubes by the axle support or bolster if you will, are a bit squished out of round. I can see that there are support bars inside the tubes but the bolts might have been torqued down a bit tight. Another seemingly common issue with these tube tractors. I got down under it with a trouble light and flashlight and had a good look underneath. Probably need new bushings for the cross shaft the steering gear mounts on. Jacked up the front end and found the typical wear on the axle pivot shaft and both spindles. I didn't notice a grease fitting on the bottom of the axle. Have to look at that again. Maybe it greases through the end of the pin. I'll have another look at that. I found that the mixture screws on the carb were both about 1 1/2 turns out from seated. The idle speed screw is cranked down tight on the spring, totally compressed, can't turn it any tighter. I figured maybe the highspeed screw would be out more than 1 1/2 turns. Maybe its not the correct one for the carb or maybe the float level is off. Dunno. Not sure what this motor was on originally but something drove off the end of the flywheel. Cub Cadet maybe? Some sort of shaft drive. Maybe wasn't even on a tractor.  So that was it for today. Going to have another investigative session or two. I haven't seen anything so far that scares me. All pretty much the typical wear n tear issues that these tube tractors seem to have. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4193.JPG
  • 100_4195.JPG
  • 100_4197.JPG
  • 100_4196.JPG
  • 100_4198.JPG
  • 100_4199.JPG
  • 100_4200.JPG
  • 100_4201.JPG
  • 100_4202.JPG

• olcowhand, KennyP, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#10 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 2162 Thanks
  • 895 posts

Posted January 18, 2020 - 07:24 PM

Those hydro filters are around $100.00 I researched it for my H14 project about three years ago and decided to change it over to a spin on filter. If I remember right they are available through Ford / New Holland or were, its been awhile since I checked.

• Dave in NY said thank you

#11 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1573 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted January 18, 2020 - 08:58 PM

If the filter is that pricey I will for sure change it to a spin on.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 49401 Thanks
  • 51895 posts

Posted January 19, 2020 - 06:01 AM

The Ford/Jacobson inline filters are NLA!

• Dave in NY and logmillingman have said thanks

#13 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1573 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted January 19, 2020 - 08:45 AM

If that's the case I'm sure there's a suitable spin on base that I can mount under there and plumb in. Shouldn't be much of a problem. Might have to adapt to or make new hard line and hose that run to it.
  • KennyP, logmillingman and kjmweld have said thanks

#14 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 2162 Thanks
  • 895 posts

Posted January 19, 2020 - 04:38 PM

What I did for my H14 is pickup the fender support bracket from a early model H14 that is cut out and has the spin on filter that mounts inside it like all the 1256's did. Seeing that you have a gas tank that sits in the fender support bracket you will probably have to mount the filter under the tractor somewhere.

• Dave in NY said thank you

#15 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• 1573 Thanks
  • 571 posts

Posted January 19, 2020 - 06:36 PM

I sort of figured that a custom fender support will be necessary. I want to mount a larger tank than what's there now. Have to do some research on that. On all my other repowers with a tilt up seat I've used Cub Cadet tanks from the older hundred series tractors. I'll have to do some measuring, possibly I can use one on this too. There ought to room enough to mount a filter base and filter under there someplace as well.