Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Stripped bronze gear in blower gear box.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SaintsBolens OFFLINE  

SaintsBolens
  • Member No: 92974
  • 201 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted December 31, 2019 - 01:40 PM

Unfortunately with this last storm my blower decided she had enough. Not good since we are still so early in the season. I am in need of part number 11 in this picture. I have searched the part number but have come up with nothing. Does anybody have any ideas where I might acquire one? Any help is greatly appreciated.
D8F55F2D-F42E-46FC-8617-D1009F688007.png
  • logmillingman said thank you

#2 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 3084 Thanks
  • 1467 posts

Posted December 31, 2019 - 05:45 PM

This may help you a bit..?
https://www.mytracto...ood-day.264182/

Does look like it's going to be challenge though.
  • Cvans, logmillingman and SaintsBolens have said thanks

#3 SaintsBolens OFFLINE  

SaintsBolens
  • 201 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted December 31, 2019 - 07:09 PM

This may help you a bit..?
https://www.mytracto...ood-day.264182/
Does look like it's going to be challenge though.

Thanks!! That at least gives me more models to search with. It’s going to be a long winter going back to no cab and walking behind a blower
  • logmillingman, Doug E. and 4getgto have said thanks

#4 SaintsBolens OFFLINE  

SaintsBolens
  • 201 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted December 31, 2019 - 09:10 PM

With the thread link you provided I still can’t find the part but was able to find a Kubota T2740 snowblower local to me but they want 500, yikes. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that! I will keep searching.
  • logmillingman and 4getgto have said thanks

#5 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 3084 Thanks
  • 1467 posts

Posted January 01, 2020 - 07:01 AM

With the thread link you provided I still can’t find the part but was able to find a Kubota T2740 snowblower local to me but they want 500, yikes. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that! I will keep searching.

Maybe you can find a Kubota part number. The Bolens number didn't up anywhere I searched. Another thought is to have one made (last resort).

https://www.khkgears...AiAAEgJOtPD_BwE

https://www.rushgear...ASAAEgLE_vD_BwE

And just for shgts and giggles try McMaster-Carr. I looked around there a little and was surprised what they offered.
  • logmillingman and SaintsBolens have said thanks

#6 SaintsBolens OFFLINE  

SaintsBolens
  • 201 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 01, 2020 - 08:24 AM

McMaster-car has tons of stuff!! I was unaware they sold so much. It seems if I was to have one made or even bought, I need to have some measurements to give. I may order a gear pitch, pressure angle, and reduction speed measuring tool From McMaster to see what I can come up with. Hopefully there is enough of the gear left to measure appropriately. I am also still going to attempt to get a kubota part number as they seem to be the most common out of the other brands that use the same worm gear set. Either way I go I am going to keep pumping the info to this thread in hopes someone in the future can use the info as these worms gears tend to be Problems for people to find when they go bad. I am thankful for the help and ideas!!
  • Utah Smitty and logmillingman have said thanks

#7 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 16000 Thanks
  • 5422 posts

Posted January 01, 2020 - 08:31 AM

Did some searching on a Kubota parts site I found 

https://kubota.ca/en...ue/parts-finder

Looked up parts for the Kubota model T2740 that is listed in the linked thread and it appears that Kubota had several series of this blower depending on the serial number.  The first series does not show a break down of the gear case but does list a part number for two different replacement units - I have attached screenshots of both it and the next series which does show a gear separately.  Not sure if either of these are the same as your Bolens unit as there is not much info on the complete assembly part numbers for the first series and the later series appear to use bearings rather than bushings as shown in the Bolens parts list on either side of the gear.

You might also try contacting RAD directly as they may have cross reference information on the Bolens part number or may be able to help you with whether they supplied this for Bolens - I believe when this unit was being produced the company was owned by Garden Way and some of the attachments would have been sourced from outside suppliers rather than built in house.

Looks like they are still in business in Quebec

http://radtech.ca/en/ 

http://radtech.ca/en/?s=snow+blower+

Hope this helps 

Attached Thumbnails

• 99 Kubota T2740.jpg
  • 100 Kubota T2740.jpg

• Utah Smitty, logmillingman, Paulgo and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Utah Smitty ONLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 2188 Thanks
  • 1967 posts

Posted January 01, 2020 - 08:44 AM

McMaster-car has tons of stuff!! I was unaware they sold so much...

MMC has a great selection and I used to use them a lot for buying things for home use and for my work when I managed a machine shop.

They also have CAD drawings of many of their items so you can see how it will fit in your assembly.

My biggest frustration with them is that you never know what your shipping cost will be until you receive your order.

I once ordered some delrin rod and the shipping costs was 1 1/2 times more than the cost of the rod.

When I called and asked them about it they said they were working to change the website so that you could know what your shipping costs were before paying. I ordered again from them a couple years afterwards and it was the same situation--unknown freight costs until you received the order. I called them again and asked them about it. I got the same story, so I figured they weren't going to change and were just blowing wind up my skirts.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, January 01, 2020 - 08:46 AM.

• logmillingman, Paulgo, 4getgto and 1 other said thanks

#9 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 16000 Thanks
  • 5422 posts

Posted January 01, 2020 - 08:48 AM

Also found some information  on the Honda part number shown and that parts break down does look similar to the Bolens unit.  The Honda part number for the gear appears to be 72998-0017 which does show up on this website

https://www.hondapar...-serial-1000400

shows a price and suggests it ships in 5 to 7 days but I have seen that before and actually be discontinued and NLA

Attached is a screen shot of the Honda site parts break down.

Attached Thumbnails

• 102 Honda SB800.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, logmillingman, 4getgto and 1 other said thanks

#10 SaintsBolens OFFLINE  

SaintsBolens
  • 201 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 01, 2020 - 11:02 AM

The Honda parts actually lists the gear as #65 which is the number also listed on the Bolens breakdown I downloaded from GTtalk , and that gives me hope that it may be the same gear. At $191 it’s way cheaper than purchasing a whole new blower, but still expensive if it’s not the right part. I had considered calling RAd directly as they have images on their site that still look very familiar to the blower I have, so maybe design has not changed much over the years. Compared to where I was yesterday which was depressed and angry at the situation with not much of a remedy, I now feel like I have options on how to go about this. I appreciate everything and I am going to keep you posted with the route I go.
  • kjmweld and 4getgto have said thanks

#11 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 3084 Thanks
  • 1467 posts

Posted January 01, 2020 - 11:24 AM

That number 72998-0017 appears to be a good number and available. Maybe not cheap but available..
Googled it and it came up a few places..

Edited by 4getgto, January 01, 2020 - 11:25 AM.

• SaintsBolens said thank you

#12 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 16000 Thanks
  • 5422 posts

Posted January 01, 2020 - 12:14 PM

This may or may not be the same blower under a TroyBilt part number (46" two stage)

https://www.partstre...ear-assembly-8/

If it is the same then the TroyBilt part number appears to be 1824146 for the gear.  This thread that I found on MTF shows photos of what the gear box looks like apart and what the old and new gear look like which may help you identify your unit.

https://www.mytracto...r-14063.113745/

The thread is dated 2010 and it mentions Plzaks Small Engine Repair in Fredonia WI. as a possible source at that time - not sure if they are still around but if they are and the gear is the same you could check with them - just another avenue to explore.

• Bruce Dorsi, Cvans, 4getgto and 1 other said thanks

#13 SaintsBolens OFFLINE  

SaintsBolens
  • 201 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 01, 2020 - 01:31 PM

I do believe that is the same general blower as those tractors were nearly identical to the 5100 series Bolens and I believe both were produced by Troy-Bilt. Mine is a 5000 series which was produced by Bolens but right before they were bought. After they were bought the 5000 became the 5100 or duratrac. His gearbox looks close to mine but used bearings instead of bushings. His box seems to have a sleeve for the axle where the wheel mounts where as mine rides directly on the shaft. Here is a pic I took of mine when I first went through it the year I purchased it. I am going to try to order the Honda part number and then will do a quick update once I throw it all back together.

0831249C-409F-4CDD-B179-9E318F1039E9.jpeg
301CB15B-1DF6-4A4B-A889-81423812AC21.jpeg

Edited by SaintsBolens, January 01, 2020 - 01:37 PM.

• 29 Chev and 4getgto have said thanks

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 16443 Thanks
  • 11225 posts

Posted January 01, 2020 - 04:31 PM

Why would they make that gear out of brass? It would be a shame to spend that much and have it go out again. Are you using the shear pins?

• 4getgto and SaintsBolens have said thanks

#15 SaintsBolens OFFLINE  

SaintsBolens
  • 201 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 01, 2020 - 05:30 PM

Yes the blower has three different shear bolts to protect it. With one gear being brass and one being harder metal, I assume the brass eventually wears or as shown in the threads, just breaks if you hit something. From what I have learned in this process is that most worm gear sets have a worm wheel made of brass or the worm itself can be brass. Usually one or the other is brass, I have seen the worm be the brass piece as shown on this NOS photo. I think you would want a weak point aside from shear bolts to prevent the damage working it’s way further back, like your motor.

6032D5F7-2889-41E5-9349-80E6B70CC962.jpeg

Edited by SaintsBolens, January 01, 2020 - 05:32 PM.