25 replies to this topic

#16 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

Deere Hunter

• Member No: 6766
  • 266 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted January 19, 2020 - 07:03 AM

i have already been getting seed catalogues too, its crazy for them to be sending them out this early but again too i guess spring isnt that far way either.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 17287 Thanks
  • 11464 posts

Posted January 19, 2020 - 08:08 AM

Some peoples need the time to start their seeds indoors.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#18 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 718 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted January 20, 2020 - 08:36 PM

Some peoples need the time to start their seeds indoors.

Yea, I'm going to get started here pretty quick, usually first or so of Feb.  I'm behind on getting seeds ordered this year, if I do a garden.

• oldedeeres, Sawdust and Doug E. have said thanks

#19 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 14005 Thanks
  • 6474 posts

Posted January 21, 2020 - 11:27 AM

I get "farmer's fever" around this time each year. Simply itching to get something growing even although I know there's no point in starting seeds here until at least the end of March.  Dreaming my way through seed catalogues and planning the garden helps. Now is when I sort through the garden box, read over my notes I made last year on the planting dates, weather, varieties, what I planted next to each other, etc. and how things yielded. Just busy work, I know, but it helps calm the fever.

• KennyP, Sawdust and 29 Chev have said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 48993 Thanks
  • 51684 posts

Posted January 21, 2020 - 04:38 PM

I get "farmer's fever" around this time each year. Simply itching to get something growing even although I know there's no point in starting seeds here until at least the end of March.  Dreaming my way through seed catalogues and planning the garden helps. Now is when I sort through the garden box, read over my notes I made last year on the planting dates, weather, varieties, what I planted next to each other, etc. and how things yielded. Just busy work, I know, but it helps calm the fever.

This time of year it's nice to have something to keep the mind occupied! I daydream of 90F+ days!

• oldedeeres, Sawdust, FrozenInTime and 1 other said thanks

#21 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

Deere Hunter

• Member No: 6766
  • 266 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted February 16, 2020 - 07:03 PM

lol i don't know about 90 kenny but i sure would like above freezing.

• KennyP, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#22 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6794 Thanks
  • 3799 posts

Posted February 24, 2020 - 02:26 PM

We got a Johnny's seed catalog just before Christmas.  I'm waiting for others to show up.  Nothing like sitting next to the wood stove in cold weather and drooling over all the summer photos in the catalogs!

We want to try some new plants this year.  Two which come to mind are collard greens and Cilantro. 

One of the seed companies we often buy from is "Territorial Seed" in Oregon.  They have some varieties that work better in the cooler parts of the PNW.  However, I do think that usually the seed companies buy seed from the same place and just package it. 

As a rule, we are trying to move away from hybrids and save our own seed. 

Regards,

Doug

We got a Johnny's seed catalog just before Christmas.  I'm waiting for others to show up.  Nothing like sitting next to the wood stove in cold weather and drooling over all the summer photos in the catalogs!

We want to try some new plants this year.  Two which come to mind are collard greens and Cilantro. 

One of the seed companies we often buy from is "Territorial Seed" in Oregon.  They have some varieties that work better in the cooler parts of the PNW.  However, I do think that usually the seed companies buy seed from the same place and just package it. 

Regards,

Doug

Doug my wife is into heirloom seeds. She has several bean seeds from plants that her grandma used over 80 years ago not to mention cuttings from plants like roses & lily's. That's a nice thing to do so much of the good ole stuff is gone now.

• oldedeeres, Doug E. and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#23 Vrdaddy OFFLINE  

Vrdaddy
  • Member No: 86662
  • 711 Thanks
  • 271 posts

Posted March 01, 2020 - 07:21 AM

We got a Johnny's seed catalog just before Christmas. I'm waiting for others to show up. Nothing like sitting next to the wood stove in cold weather and drooling over all the summer photos in the catalogs!

We want to try some new plants this year. Two which come to mind are collard greens and Cilantro.

One of the seed companies we often buy from is "Territorial Seed" in Oregon. They have some varieties that work better in the cooler parts of the PNW. However, I do think that usually the seed companies buy seed from the same place and just package it.

Regards,

Doug

Here's a picture of the catalog of that Heirloom seed company "Baker Creek" got it shortly after I posted the 1st time back in December, they look to be out of Missouri and I seen that they have the cilantro and collard greens in there.

Has anyone else noticed that some of the seed companies are discontinuing putting out paper catalogs and have gone to "digital" catalogs? I understand the reasoning why, but it just ain't the same curling up with a electronic device as it is a paper catalog like Doug said..... Drooling over summer pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200301_065639.jpg

Edited by Vrdaddy, March 01, 2020 - 07:25 AM.

• oldedeeres, Sawdust and Doug E. have said thanks

#24 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6794 Thanks
  • 3799 posts

Posted March 01, 2020 - 05:41 PM

We get the Baker Creek catalog as well. My wife ordered some of their "Cherokee Trail of Tears" poll beans last year. They did well & very tasty. You have to pick them young because they get dark & go to seed fast. We let some go to seed so we could try them again this year.
  • oldedeeres and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#25 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 14005 Thanks
  • 6474 posts

Posted March 02, 2020 - 11:39 AM

I have tried those as well, but the season's not long enough for them here.  Saving seeds from the old heritage type plants is a good idea and I have a fair collection of different seeds.  The hybrid varieties can be fun as well, but they won't breed true.  Frustrating when I find a nice hybrid carrot that I'd like to keep and it simply doesn't produce well from the saved seed. Since carrots are biennials,.it's a three year process saving seed and getting a new crop from them.

• Sawdust and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#26 boboy OFFLINE  

boboy
  • Member No: 97102
  • 10 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted May 13, 2020 - 08:24 AM

Roger i buy from Seeds n Such and they are great to do business with. Bobby