• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Onan Man OFFLINE  

Onan Man
  • Member No: 92480
  • 162 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted November 27, 2019 - 02:37 PM

Always wanted one of these since I was a kid!

Love the "H-D" build quality and the tall, narrow hood.  And the stance of these models reminds me of a bulldog for some reason. Nice.   

Anyhoo she needs some work and did not run when I bought it. I know, not too smart.  So I have no idea what in store here but Im in need of a project for December. This model is worth it.  

Going to start by removing the head and checking the bore, removing the valves and cleaning them, cleaning the head and closing it up with a new head gasket. Then a carb rebuild, fuel pump rebuild, new fuel lines/filter, points, condenser and battery.

Then a change of all the fluids and polish her up.  Probably needs front tires too as one does not hold air for long.  They're kind of worn anyway.  Definitely needs a seat too.  

Pics:  

As found: 

IMG-1699.jpg

IMG-1703.jpg

Power washed and de-stickered:

IMG-1708.jpg

Comes with a plow but no deck:

IMG-1711.jpg

• jms180, KennyP and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#2 Cnc OFFLINE  

Cnc
  • Member No: 86139
  • 257 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted November 27, 2019 - 04:34 PM

Nice, I just picked up a s14 a few weeks back that has not been running for at least 12-14 years. I bought it cheap to rob a few parts off it for other tractors I have. After a bit of inspection, I decided to keep it whole. I pressure washed it, removed the fuel tank to clean changed all the fuel lines and filter, cleaned the carb and fixed a few issues there and she started right up and ran nice. After that the linkage was frozen for the hydro trans as was the linkage for the hydro lift. Feed them up and I have a good running machine. Think I’ll keep it now.
  • Onan Man said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 50094 Thanks
  • 52285 posts

Posted November 27, 2019 - 04:50 PM

I haven't come across one of those down here!

#4 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

Deere Hunter

• Member No: 6766
  • 274 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted November 27, 2019 - 08:30 PM

i like those tractors but they are rare for these parts, i had one a few years ago but no attachments for it.

#5 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 1186 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted November 27, 2019 - 08:50 PM

Those are well built heavy duty machines, good find, it looks good.  Rare around these parts also.

#6 IHCubCadet147 ONLINE  

IHCubCadet147
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 93788
  • 1504 Thanks
  • 708 posts

Posted November 28, 2019 - 08:18 AM

Nice score! I almost bought one of those over the summer. I saw it out for sale in the morning, came back later to look at it and it was gone.

#7 Onan Man OFFLINE  

Onan Man
  • 162 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted November 28, 2019 - 09:03 AM

Nice score! I almost bought one of those over the summer. I saw it out for sale in the morning, came back later to look at it and it was gone.

Thanks everyone I will keep the pics and videos coming.  

I had this happen to me with an old troy bilt tiller. Passed it on the way out to run an errand.  Saw the red paint and "free" sign and paused, "I should get that now" but kept on going.  An hour later on the way back it was gone.   That sinking feeling

• IHCubCadet147 said thank you

#8 Wisconjon OFFLINE  

Wisconjon
  • Member No: 93414
  • 20 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted November 28, 2019 - 10:42 AM

Very nice machines, and well worth the effort of keeping alive. Unfortunately, it appears that you’re missing the bracket on that plow that is needed to attach it to the tractor. Might want to give the PO a call to see if he’s got it laying around somewhere...

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 3768 Thanks
  • 4467 posts

Posted November 28, 2019 - 12:09 PM

I have 4 of them, none ran when I got them, 1 came to me with the engine in pieces, another came to me with a "seized" engine that wasn't (starter Bendix was stuck and starter motor was locked up) and 2 that came to me just having sat a long time, one outside one inside, the one that had sat inside all those years "ran when parked" and took the least amount of work to get to run.
I have had 2 additional incomplete ones for parts, 1 of which had been the victim of a barn fire, that I bought just for it's snow blower which I took down to bare nothing and rebuilt including taking the bare shell to a powder coater and had blasted and re coated. That itself cost me as much as many guys sell their blower attachment for but at the time it was the only one I saw available within a 4 hour drive and at that, I had to go all the way to Wisconsin to get that one.
The 1st one, the one that had sat indoors for 10 years came from Iowa// but thanks to another member here who was passing through that is local to where the machine came from he met me on the road with it about an hour away from here.

Edited by dodge trucker, November 28, 2019 - 12:10 PM.

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3768 Thanks
  • 4467 posts

Posted November 28, 2019 - 12:11 PM

And yours looks better than any of mine did when I got them and better still than 2 still do, though all of mine now run

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3768 Thanks
  • 4467 posts

Posted November 28, 2019 - 12:16 PM

i like those tractors but they are rare for these parts, i had one a few years ago but no attachments for it.

There's a guy out your way that used to post here often that (last time I saw him post, and mentioned how many) has/had like 28 of these machines and tons of attachments, I think his new was Gary (NO, not the guy who's been getting out of the hobby for 10 years now, he's in Indiana)
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 Onan Man OFFLINE  

Onan Man
  • 162 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted November 28, 2019 - 10:45 PM

Very nice machines, and well worth the effort of keeping alive. Unfortunately, it appears that you’re missing the bracket on that plow that is needed to attach it to the tractor. Might want to give the PO a call to see if he’s got it laying around somewhere...

Good eye!

It came with the bracket but it was separated from the moldboard. I do need the big pivot bolt/nut to join the two back together though. 

IMG-1733.jpg

IMG-1735.jpg

Whats also missing is the p-side "latch" piece to hold the bracket to the chassis. There are none on ebay so I'll have to fab one.  It is supposed to be in the empty hole shown below. No idea why this and the pivot bolt are missing.  Hmmm.  

IMG-1734.jpg

Edited by Onan Man, November 28, 2019 - 10:56 PM.

#13 Onan Man OFFLINE  

Onan Man
  • 162 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted November 30, 2019 - 02:24 AM

took a peek inside tonight

i could smell this, big time  

IMG-1762.jpg

IMG-1763.jpg

looks like a head gasket leak.  an awful lot of oil on the cylinder too  A blown out gasket?

IMG-1757.jpg

its broken on the outer right here but based on the perimiter markings it does not appear to be leaking (?)  

IMG-1764.jpg

IMG-1766.jpg

cleaned the head, piston top and valves and buttoned it up for now.  new gasket on the way. Its easy to get to

IMG-1767.jpg

IMG-1768.jpg

not sure i like these cheap rebuild kits. the holes dont line up and the material is definitely thinner

IMG-1771.jpg

carb tomorrow and a baseline start/run.  

Edited by Onan Man, November 30, 2019 - 02:35 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3768 Thanks
  • 4467 posts

Posted November 30, 2019 - 09:18 AM

who'd you get that from?  I remember a thread on here from long ago telling of a complny that sold them here in the States. 

I recently looked on EPay for a kit for these, and almost  all were shown with a location as being straight from China. 

I once bought 3 aftermarket pumps in 1 buy, 2 went in the garbage as they filled the crankcase with gas right off the bat, #3 is mounted to an engine that has been freshly rebuilt but hasn't yet been fired,  I will be replacing that pump again before I drop that engine into the machine it was built for, even if that means robbing the pump from the engine that is currently on that tractor and putting onto here.... that one is a ~6 yo OEM Kohler pump that is so far working OK, even though I don't like its chincey design and pop into place fuel fittings. 

#15 Onan Man OFFLINE  

Onan Man
  • 162 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted November 30, 2019 - 04:54 PM

The pump kit is an ebay (china) special. I might switch to the pop in place version as I had one on my Kohler Magnum Scag and it worked ok for the year that I had it. It does seem chintzy though.  

Did more work today...

Cleaned the carb and put on a new needle/seat and new bowl gasket

IMG-1777.jpg

Then replaced the entire fuel line back to the tank. Had just enough room via the PTO port to use long needle nose pliers and secure some safety wire around the hose and nipple

IMG-1781.jpg

IMG-1783.jpg

Also installed a new seat because I dont like multi-colored tape jobs :).  I used this seat from TSC because its got lots of holes and a few of them were proper spacing for the seat rails

https://www.tractors...-steel-pan-seat

IMG-1789.jpg

Then dumped the oil. Will probably do it again after a few hours

IMG-1784.jpg

The moment of truth...

(I think the front PTO is making that clanging you'll hear. I don't think it is the engine. What do you think?...)

https://www.youtube....h?v=pDvYjh6KkOY

Edited by Onan Man, November 30, 2019 - 04:55 PM.

• KennyP and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks