Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 2300 Thanks
  • 2001 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 05:55 PM

At the risk of boring everyone, I thought I'd post an update as to what I've been up to the last couple years.

I think most people are aware that i was able to leave my job at the Army Depot (a 65 mile drive each way) and go to work for the Air Force base which was 5 miles north of me.

In April of 2018, my oldest son Jay and I went in together and bought a home on 3/4 acres in Roy, Utah--just south of Ogden.  Jay and his family moved in on the main floor, while Marilyn and I finished off the rest of the basement and moved downstairs.

The property had several outbuildings, but nothing that could be considered a shop, so we built one. It's 36' x 48 ; with 15 feet to the bottom of the trusses. It will eventually have an auto shop, weld shop, machine shop, and wood working shop.

I used some of the money from the sale of my old house to buy a CNC mill, hybrid CNC lathe, manual lathe, and manual mill.  I sold my South Bend Heavy 10 to a friend, and my mill to a guy from out of state. Most of my project GTs got sold, including the Ariens GT19, the Broyhill 3 wheeled golf course truck, etc.

I kept my Mahindra Max25 CUT with FEL, my Dayton 16Z (MTD 995) my Sears GT18, and the Kubota G1800.  Since then I've bought a Case 444 with hydraulic PTO, 3 pt hitch, tiller, mower, and snow plow, but with a bad engine.

We bought a running Grasshopper Zeroturn mower with a vacuum, intending to flip it for some cash. However, we've found the thing to be very maneuverable, even with the 8 or so trees in our backyard, and has made quick work of vacuuming up all the leaves from the 3 huge cottonwoods that took us a full day last year. So, we may keep it... time will tell.

I also just bought a JD425 fixer upper that I mentioned in a post earlier this week.

In addition, we acquired a Case 380C (David Brown 885) with a snow plow, and a Grashopper Zero Turn mower--plenty of projects to keep me out of the pool halls as I tell the wife... However, the Kubota, Mahindra, Case 380C, and Grasshopper all run, and the Dayton just needs some fresh fuel and a new battery.

Anyway, I thought I'd post some pictures of the house, the shop, and some of my machines and attachments, if anyone's interested..

Smitty

IMG_20191110_144842054_HDR.jpg IMG_20191110_144615256_HDR.jpg IMG_20191110_144618192_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191110_143129932_HDR.jpg IMG_20191110_143333258_HDR.jpg

Shop North End 20191110.jpg IMG_20191110_143827668.jpg

IMG_20191110_143827668.jpg IMG_20191110_144152864.jpg

IMG_20191110_144144338.jpg IMG_20191110_143049988.jpg IMG_20191110_143352367_HDR.jpg IMG_20191110_143535518_HDR.jpg Mahindra Maxx 25 RHFR 20191110.jpg IMG_20191110_143551726_HDR.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20191110_143735121.jpg

Edited by Utah Smitty, November 10, 2019 - 05:58 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, 101 senior and 13 others have said thanks

#2 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 1166 Thanks
  • 446 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 06:18 PM

You shop looks like mine did until I finally made some progress organizing it.  Everything just got stuffed through the door as it got unloaded. 

Looks like you picked up a Tree 315 mill with the Dynapath control.  I spend a number of hours working on one.  I liked the control, very straight forward. 

Regards,

Doug

• Utah Smitty and chieffan have said thanks

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 44088 Thanks
  • 32300 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 06:20 PM

I foresee a shop expansion in 5 years, maybe sooner!  You have a lot of stuff there.  Love to have me a CNC anything! 

• Utah Smitty, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 3016 Thanks
  • 1155 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 06:34 PM

Nice shop you built there. Glad the move went well, sorry to hear about the trailer theft (mentioned in another post) tho. I went back to see if I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of the Bolens with the Brantly loader, is that a current project, one for sale, something you just acquired? IMO that's the best loader (of the day) that you could get for the large frames, nice set up there. Glad to see you posting again, welcome back.
  • Utah Smitty and chieffan have said thanks

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 49347 Thanks
  • 51863 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 06:42 PM

Always fun after a move to get organized! Glad to see your posts again!

• Utah Smitty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2300 Thanks
  • 2001 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 08:57 PM

You shop looks like mine did until I finally made some progress organizing it.  Everything just got stuffed through the door as it got unloaded. 

Looks like you picked up a Tree 315 mill with the Dynapath control.  I spend a number of hours working on one.  I liked the control, very straight forward. 

Regards,

Doug

Thanks, Doug.  I'm looking forward to using it... I may have to pick your brain about it, though as it's been years since I did any CNC programming.

Smitty

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2300 Thanks
  • 2001 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 09:02 PM

Nice shop you built there. Glad the move went well, sorry to hear about the trailer theft (mentioned in another post) tho. I went back to see if I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of the Bolens with the Brantly loader, is that a current project, one for sale, something you just acquired? IMO that's the best loader (of the day) that you could get for the large frames, nice set up there. Glad to see you posting again, welcome back.

The Bolens is the HT23 that I bought several years ago, used it for a while, then sold it because it didn't have a 3 point hitch and I didn't have the means to build one for it at the time.

After a couple years I got to wishing I still had the ol' Bolens so I started looking for one.  I found one listed in the local classifieds.  When I called the guy, he asked me my name--when I told him, he said,

"I bought this tractor from you!!"

It was a little worse for the wear, actually a lot worse for the wear as the big Kohler 582 had thrown a rod... it still ran good enough for me to get it up on a trailer though.

I've had a Ruggerini RD200 diesel for several years, and plan to put it in the Bolens as it is similar to the engine used on a later Bolens... can't remember the model number.

Anyway, this will probably be one of my first projects when the garage gets done.

Smiitty

• KennyP, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2300 Thanks
  • 2001 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 09:06 PM

Always fun after a move to get organized! Glad to see your posts again!

It's hard to believe that, with the exception of the new machine tools, that I had all that stuff in a 24 x 26 shop!!!  You can't see it very well, but the smaller stuff is actually on pallets that I built 18 inch sides for, then covered in shrink wrap so stuff wouldn't blow out while I moved them to the new shop.  I covered most of it with billboard tarps as my roof wasn't finished at the time.

It's been a heck of a lot of work... I'm just looking forward to being able to have a shop available again.

Smitty

• KennyP, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2300 Thanks
  • 2001 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 09:10 PM

I foresee a shop expansion in 5 years, maybe sooner!  You have a lot of stuff there.  Love to have me a CNC anything! 

Well, we are somewhat restricted due to High Voltage power lines running through the back part of the property.  We actually had to get the zoning changed from Residential to Residential Estate, which allows us to have livestock (in addition to the goats we have a dozen chickens), and to have more than 1,500 sf of outbuildings--the two lean-tos and white shed total about 1,200 by themselves.

We also had to get a variance from the power company to build the shop, as it's shoe-horned between two sets of High Voltage lines.

We probably will finish off the lean to for storage of tractors, etc., plus we're going to put a mezzanine over the east half of the shop (the weld machiine and woor-working shops will be underneath) so we can put items up there.  The west side of the shop--where the 2 overhead doors are, will remain open so we can use the auto lift, etc.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, November 10, 2019 - 09:12 PM.

• Cvans, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#10 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 1186 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 09:34 PM

Looks like you could install some big "coils" on that shop roof & have free electricity!!

• KennyP and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2300 Thanks
  • 2001 posts

Posted November 10, 2019 - 11:43 PM

Looks like you could install some big "coils" on that shop roof & have free electricity!!

LOL!!

I hear an anecdotal story years ago of a farmer down south of me that was forced to let the power company install high voltage towers and lines across his property.  He apparently knew a little something about electrical inductance as he built two parallel fences the same length and a set distance apart, and milked electricity from the EM field created by the Hi Voltage lines.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it makes for a good story.

smitty

• olcowhand, KennyP, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#12 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 1762 Thanks
  • 1271 posts

Posted November 11, 2019 - 06:16 PM

Having moved back to salt lake after being away for 7 years I am surprised how many garden tractor there are now. I ran some wanted ads and have been keeping busy.
  • KennyP, Utah Smitty and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2300 Thanks
  • 2001 posts

Posted November 11, 2019 - 08:03 PM

Having moved back to salt lake after being away for 7 years I am surprised how many garden tractor there are now. I ran some wanted ads and have been keeping busy.

There were always GTs to be found, but you had to drive a ways to get them.  I've bought from as far south as Las Vegas and as far north as Arco, Idaho.

What part of Salt Lake do you live in?

Smitty

• KennyP, Sawdust and Dayton_King have said thanks

#14 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 1762 Thanks
  • 1271 posts

Posted November 12, 2019 - 04:06 PM

I am in Murray. Slowly getting all my garden tractors shipped out west. Just bought a wheelhorse out of afton Wyoming
  • Utah Smitty and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2300 Thanks
  • 2001 posts

Posted November 12, 2019 - 08:18 PM

I am in Murray. Slowly getting all my garden tractors shipped out west. Just bought a wheelhorse out of afton Wyoming

I'm in Roy just off I-15 and 5600 South.

There's a couple other Utahns on GTT--Nelson Bent (nbent) is up in Cache Valley, and Ryan Page (Pager450) in Bountiful.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, November 12, 2019 - 08:26 PM.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new home, shop, case 444, mtd, kubota, zero turn, mahindra, case 380c