Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Economy Jim Dandy diesel?

economy jim dandy diesel kohler k321 economy tractor economy jim dandy jim dandy tractor kohler diesel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jtkerr98 OFFLINE  

jtkerr98
  • Member No: 95218
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 21, 2019 - 09:37 PM

I have a 1967 economy jim dandy with a kohler k321 gasoline engine, I would like to put a diesel engine in it and I had my eye on the kohler kd477-2 21 hp diesel. I was wondering if any of you think it is possible and if not is there a diesel that will work on it?
  • Achto said thank you

#2 Achto ONLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 1170 Thanks
  • 406 posts

Posted July 22, 2019 - 10:43 PM

I put a 10hp Hatz diesel in my Wheel Horse. It was a fun project, I had to raise the hood & the dash 3" to fit it into the short frame tractor but it was well worth it. This thing has all the power I could ever want & I put 10hrs on with 1.5 gal of fuel.

I had a belt drive to deal with, which is a little easier than the automotive style clutch in an Economy. You may have to make your own engine to bell housing adapter.

DSCN2652-min.JPG

Edited by Achto, July 22, 2019 - 10:44 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 9087 Thanks
  • 8326 posts

Posted July 23, 2019 - 04:43 AM

Like what Achto said about the engine to bellhousing problem being the biggest .  I think the flywheel has enough metal if you needed to have a bigger crankshaft . The engine mounts are just angle iron bolted to the C channel frame so I wouldn't think mounts would be a big issue  

• Achto and jtkerr98 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: economy jim dandy diesel, kohler k321, economy tractor, economy jim dandy, jim dandy tractor, kohler diesel