• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 daddysworkisneverdone OFFLINE  

daddysworkisneverdone
  • Member No: 93348
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 17, 2019 - 08:36 PM

had a though that someone else might have had this same issue and same thought process and may have already found a good solution

my cousin and I bought a pair of old bolens a couple years ago.  We're pretty mechanical, however, these pre-date us by a few years.  I took the 650, he took the 800.

His 800 has a wisconsin S8D, and the carb is about worn out.  I think the briggs on mine is worse, but parts are a bit easier to come by.  Rather than attempt a complete rebuild, we thought about trying one of the chinese made carb units.  for the briggs they're cheaper than a carb kit..for this wisconsin not having much luck.  Googling suggest carb might be a zenith 12982. 

Has anyone had any luck finding a budget friendly replacement, or swapped to a more common carb model?  If the mounting flange to the head is different we can work around that as he's got the fab skills and equipment to make an adapter plate, but linkages and physical fit under hood and around exhaust would be a concern.  Appreciate any ideas anyone might have or any experience anyone might have to share.

Thank you

• logmillingman said thank you

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6296 Thanks
  • 4383 posts

Posted March 17, 2019 - 10:00 PM

Nope I haven't found 1 that will bolt directly up and work with the governor linkage. Problem is the throttle is on the back side of the carb and most other carbs hook up on the right side. So even if you manage to find 1 that will bolt up the throttle/governor linkage will not work.

There is 1 on Ebay that needs cleaned up and a carb kit put in it if you want to go that route. $34.99 free shipping

https://www.ebay.com...RoAAOSwxXJcinBx

This is ridiculously priced but here's a new one.

NOS carb for $495.95 

https://www.ebay.com...&frcectupt=true

Edited by EricFromPa, March 17, 2019 - 10:03 PM.

#3 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 19175 Thanks
  • 6478 posts

Posted March 18, 2019 - 06:56 AM

had a though that someone else might have had this same issue and same thought process and may have already found a good solution

His 800 has a wisconsin S8D, and the carb is about worn out.  I think the briggs on mine is worse, but parts are a bit easier to come by.  Rather than attempt a complete rebuild, we thought about trying one of the chinese made carb units.  for the briggs they're cheaper than a carb kit..for this wisconsin not having much luck.  Googling suggest carb might be a zenith 12982. 

Most wear on a carb happens on the throttle shaft and the area it contacts where it sits in the carb body.  If the rest of the carb is ok then you may be able to install new bushings and build up the throttle shaft with solder or bronze and turn it down to size again.  Not easy to do in a home shop but there are companies who specialize in rebuilding and repairing carbs.  Just a suggestion that may help if you cannot find a replacement carb.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 17189 Thanks
  • 18752 posts

Posted March 18, 2019 - 08:52 AM

Two words that will never go together in the same sentence is "Wisconsin & Cheap" !

The biggest issue with these L80 series carbs is they were prone to warping from people over tightening the screws , I have found a simple way to remedy this , JB weld around the warped areas to seal the carb back up , have done this on several and to service the carb just grind it back off . You can prolong the carburetor and have a fully functioning engine probably much more cost effective than cobbling some chicom contraption .

• 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#5 daddysworkisneverdone OFFLINE  

daddysworkisneverdone
  • Member No: 93348
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 18, 2019 - 10:04 AM

thanks guys appreciate the quick response and sharing your wisdom, I think you saved us a lot of headache that we might've gotten ourselves into trying to cobble together a different carb setup

• 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6296 Thanks
  • 4383 posts

Posted March 18, 2019 - 11:03 AM

These guys are really good at what they do. They specialize in rebuilding old carburetors. http://www.carbrescue.com/index.html  Not sure what they charge for small engine carbs but they do a heck of a good job.

My neighbor had them rebuild the carb for his Farmall H. It's an old Zenith carb. They replaced the throttle and choke shafts,drilled and pressed bronze bushings in, installed new float needle and seat,new float and emulsion tube and new Hi and Low speed needles. Machined both mating surfaces flat because it was slightly warped. Even painted it IH Red for him. It was around $150 with shipping but it's better than paying $300 for an aftermarket carb that may or may not work.

• boyscout862, 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#7 Sam Rau OFFLINE  

Sam Rau
  • Member No: 92808
  • 33 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted March 18, 2019 - 05:34 PM

Years ago I took a Zenith carb set up [ carb & manifold ] from a TRA 10 D engine and put it on S 8 D engine,  worked great 

• boyscout862 and logmillingman have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wisconsin, 800, carb, zenith