13 replies to this topic

#1 Charlottedarter OFFLINE  

Charlottedarter
  • Member No: 92864
  • 74 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted February 02, 2019 - 10:18 AM

Hello,

I recently purchased this old 74 Gilson 16hp with loader.  Runs, drives, loader hydros work.  It should be a great little mulch mule and general yard work horse.  I have a bunch of parts that came with it, and it appears included in this tub of parts is a second hydraulic pump and cylinder originally for the hyd. deck lift.  While I have no interest in a hyd deck lift, I would be interested in a hydraulic 3-pt hitch, with PTO shaft at the rear.  I know they made tillers for these, and I think they ran off the front PTO.  With the manual downloaded, I think I can figure out the hyd. pump and cylinder, and I think I can create a link to the rear to push a hitch up and down.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen a manual for a Gilson tiller.  What I would like to have is photos of the connections, shaft, etc. any carrying bearing locations, pivots, etc. between the front and rear so I can create the rear PTO set up.  If anyone has a similar tractor, and would be so kind as to share...I would be appreciative.  Maybe I might have a part you need and can be of assistance in that regard.

Cheers and thank you in advance,

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190201_161925.jpg
  • 20190201_162038.jpg

• KennyP, oldedeeres, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 824 Thanks
  • 800 posts

Posted February 02, 2019 - 08:25 PM

Eric has put tiller manual in the manual section.

• oldedeeres and Sammoore13bolens1053 have said thanks

#3 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 330 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted February 03, 2019 - 08:32 AM

There is no carrier bearing in the tiller PTO shaft.  It has one universal joint at the tiller connection at the rear.  The PTO shaft is also not a splined shaft, it uses a half-sleeve setup.  The tiller gear case pivots in the middle to raise the tiller, the front half of the case is solidly mounted to the tractor, the rear case has the tiller part.  The factory PTO box and shaft also hang really low, it is easy to get the tractor hung up on a mole hill.  The factory tiller PTO is also not 540, it runs near engine speed.  There never was a factory 3 point for the S series, but i am sure a Cat 0 setup similar to Sears could be fabbed.

#4 Charlottedarter OFFLINE  

Charlottedarter
  • 74 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted February 04, 2019 - 10:33 AM

Thank you guys, I will look for the tiller manual to see if there is any info I can use.  I have since found a photo of a machine with the tiller setup.  Yeah, that metal cover on the front sits real low to the ground...not sure I want to do that.  Looks like maybe doing something different.  Sprint 6, thanks for the thought, I'll look at the sears tractors and see if I can find something that will work.  I have to believe I can set up a PTO shaft system tight to the undercarriage, and a live splined shaft at the rear.  Looks like it will be some backwoods engineering to get it where I want.

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#5 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 3813 Thanks
  • 2035 posts

Posted February 04, 2019 - 10:36 AM

FYI  Gilson made GT for Montgomery Wards so look for manuals for those tractors as well.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4610 Thanks
  • 2770 posts

Posted February 04, 2019 - 11:58 AM

Thank you guys, I will look for the tiller manual to see if there is any info I can use.  I have since found a photo of a machine with the tiller setup.  Yeah, that metal cover on the front sits real low to the ground...not sure I want to do that.  Looks like maybe doing something different.  Sprint 6, thanks for the thought, I'll look at the sears tractors and see if I can find something that will work.  I have to believe I can set up a PTO shaft system tight to the undercarriage, and a live splined shaft at the rear.  Looks like it will be some backwoods engineering to get it where I want.

Sounds like the original set up was poorly engineered being that low under the machine. If you are not apposed to home brew engineering you could try to find a hydraulic driven tiller. Or fab a PTO to run from hydraulics. It would be interesting to me to see the picture you found.  I my self have no objection to modifying the old machines to make them functional. I do dislike making modifications that can't be reversed.   Don  

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#7 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4610 Thanks
  • 2770 posts

Posted February 04, 2019 - 12:03 PM

Forgot to mention very nice tractor, I would recommend duel rear wheels for much improved safety and stability when using the loader. Don  

• Genem and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#8 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 330 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted February 06, 2019 - 07:08 AM

What do you intend to run with a rear PTO?  There aren't a lot of Cat 0 implements that use a PTO, other than the small finish mowers, but I don't think a 16hp single cylinder will pull one of those.  The 16hp Briggs is a horse and would probably run it in light grass, but wouldn't have any reserve power for high spots.  The transmission is the problem with a rear PTO, it is the low point of the chassis, that's why the tiller PTO is so low.

Edited by Sprint 6, February 06, 2019 - 07:10 AM.

#9 Charlottedarter OFFLINE  

Charlottedarter
  • 74 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted February 06, 2019 - 10:22 PM

Sprint 6, I was thinking tiller, before I realized how the original tiller worked.  Thinking maybe a tiller from another mfg could be modded to the rear if I add a 3-point with hydraulic lift.    No need for a mower, have another LT for that.  Maybe a pump for a log splitter.  I will likely forego the rear PTO, and just get the hyd deck lift mounted back on the machine, and fab a hitch on the back.  I know I am missing a couple parts though.  I need the 2" pulley and drive shaft that runs the hyd deck lift pump, and the shaft for the lift arms.  I have a couple extra shafts, and pulleys, so may have to do some cutting and fab work to make something work...Been working lately so haven't had a chance to get it in the garage.  If anyone has any old parts tractors with the missing parts, and would be willing to part with them...I would be interested in saving the home fab work. :)  

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#10 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 330 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted February 07, 2019 - 07:34 AM

The factory hydraulic pump drives off a pulley on the back side of the bevel gear box coupler.

#11 Charlottedarter OFFLINE  

Charlottedarter
  • 74 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted February 07, 2019 - 05:19 PM

Correct, there is supposed to be a 2" pulley between the 90 degree gear box and the flex coupler on the drive shaft.  Mine doesn't have that pulley.  See photo of my gear box.20190207_171008.jpg

#12 BDCULVER OFFLINE  

BDCULVER
  • Member No: 93832
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 20, 2019 - 10:57 PM

I'm guessing that your 16 is way different from my 18 because my hydraulic lift works from the hydrostatic rear end trough a drive shaft straight from the engine the PTO on the front with the double stack pulleyes on the front 6 in runs mower 4in runs auxiliary equipment ie.. snow blower tiller things of that nature.

#13 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 330 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted April 21, 2019 - 06:18 AM

His tractor is gear drive, so that is the reason for the separate pump needed for hydraulics.  If his S series was hydro, it would be a Vickers unit, and the hydraulics would run off its charge pump.  The later tractors, like yours, have an Eaton/Peerless setup similar to Jacobsen.

#14 BDCULVER OFFLINE  

BDCULVER
  • Member No: 93832
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 21, 2019 - 09:43 PM

Ok cool good to know I thought the gear drives were the same with a pass through hydraulic pump. Kind of like a mini funk drive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gilson, loader, tiller, hydraulic lift