Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I Need A New Carburetor For My Estate Keeper!

bolens ek-10 estate keeper zenith carburetor wisconsin tra-10d

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • Member No: 66742
  • 240 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted February 04, 2019 - 07:57 PM

I have 9 EK10'S so i know that the points are a PITA. i have found that it only takes a few minutes to remove the carburetor first and then replaceing and adjusting the points is a lot eaiser, still a PITA but being able to see what your doing with out standing on yor head makes it go quicker even with the extra time to remove the carburetor.

• Bolens 1000, MailmAn, 29 Chev and 3 others have said thanks

#32 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 389 Thanks
  • 776 posts

Posted February 06, 2019 - 10:00 AM

Well, it certainly took quite a while, but it's finally coming!

UPS-Delivery-2019-02-07.jpg

(They must have been backordered at the factory or something...  I can't imagine that they get that much demand for these...)

• logmillingman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#33 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 389 Thanks
  • 776 posts

Posted February 21, 2019 - 05:12 PM

Okay, sorry for the late update on this, but I've been really busy with work and everything else that has been going on lately.  I thought I'd finally update you all on what happened though.

I ordered a new carburetor for my Estate Keeper, which was delivered on February 7th.  I finally got a chance to open the box and check the carburetor out on February 12 as I was planning on trying to install it on my tractor that evening ahead of the latest snowstorm headed our way so I could use it to plow my driveway.  However, it turns out that they sent me the wrong carburetor!  (It may have technically been part of the same model series of carburetor, as it looked very similar to the correct carburetor I needed, but there were a few major differences that would make it not work on my Estate Keeper at all!)

For one, the choke assembly on the carburetor they sent me is on the wrong side for my application.  Secondly, the throttle assembly/lever on this carburetor is for a completely different setup than I have on my engine and it will not work.  Thirdly, the idle adjustment screw is on the wrong side of the carburetor and is on the same side as the throttle lever.  (This would make it nearly impossible to adjust the idle speed with the carburetor installed on the engine.)  Fourthly, this carburetor does NOT have a main jet adjustment at the bottom of the fuel bowl, rather it only has a bolt installed there.  I am assuming this means that the fuel mixture is preset at the factory on this carburetor?  Lastly, the fuel inlet for this carburetor is in the middle of the back of the carburetor, not on the right side like on the original carburetor.

Here are photos of the carburetor that was shipped to me:

20190208_205330.jpg 20190208_205417.jpg 20190208_205636.jpg

As you can see, they sent me a Model #12384 carburetor instead of the one that I ordered!  I am not sure exactly how the manufacturer shipped me the wrong carburetor, especially since prior to ordering, I sent them an E-Mail explaining the EXACT year, make, and model of Bolens tractor I have and the EXACT make and model of Wisconsin engine that it has to ensure that I would order the EXACT carburetor that I would need for my application.  However, despite all the precautions I took, I still received the wrong carburetor for my engine!   :( 

So, I called the company up and spoke with someone on the phone for several hours explaining what happened and which carburetor I was sent and which one I need.  I ended up taking the original carburetor off of my engine and taking photos of it to send to them so they could try to determine which carburetor I actually needed:

20190216_114830.jpg 20190216_114902.jpg 20190216_132628.jpg 20190216_132722.jpg
20190216_132800.jpg 20190216_132924.jpg

As you can see from the last picture, which is the original Zenith Identification Tag on the old carburetor, I have an L 63 AQ (Zenith Model #13238) carburetor on my engine.  I'm not sure if this was the carburetor used on all Wisconsin TRA-10D engines used on Bolens tractors or if this was specific ONLY to the EK-10 Estate Keepers?  But, my problem now is that, according to Zenith, they no longer manufacture the #13238 carburetor!  The only carburetor they have that is close is the Model #12982, which was standard on just about every other Wisconsin engine Bolens used, including the S7D, S8D, and S10D engines used on many Tube Frames.  However, the choke assembly is completely different on these carburetors from the choke assembly on the L 63 AQ carburetor that I need for my Estate Keeper!

So, now I'm stuck with either having the wrong carburetor on my engine or having to somehow buy the choke assembly separately and swapping the choke over on the new carburetor when I get it.

In any event, Zenith is shipping me out another carburetor this week to fix their mix-up and I'll have to send them the wrong carburetor back.  So, hopefully this will all get straightened out soon.  But, of course, it's JUST MY LUCK that everything would get screwed up on my order and they'd send me the wrong carburetor!!

More updates to come as events unfold!

• logmillingman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#34 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 4947 Thanks
  • 2843 posts

Posted February 21, 2019 - 08:27 PM

Just a small point, but the S-10D Wisconsin engines were never used on Bolens tractors.

Does the new carb they are sending you have high-speed adjustment, or is a fixed jet?

Don't get rid of your original carb.  

• MailmAn and logmillingman have said thanks

#35 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 389 Thanks
  • 776 posts

Posted February 22, 2019 - 10:35 AM

Just a small point, but the S-10D Wisconsin engines were never used on Bolens tractors.

Yeah, sorry, I misspoke there...  I was just trying to think of what other engines might have been used on tube frames that used the same model of carburetor.

In any event, yes the #12982 carburetor they are sending me does have a high-speed main jet adjustment on it, just like the original carburetor that came on the engine.  (Well, basically except for the choke setup on it, it IS the exact same carburetor that came on my engine!)

(Also, too bad I can't just cannibalize the choke off of the wrong carburetor they sent me since it looks almost EXACTLY like the choke setup I need, just that it was on the wrong side of the carburetor.  I'm sure I could get it to work on the other carburetor though...)

Zenith shipped me the replacement carburetor already and it should be delivered today.  I'll hopefully be able to post some pictures of it soon.

Edited by MailmAn, February 22, 2019 - 10:39 AM.

• logmillingman said thank you

#36 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • 240 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted February 22, 2019 - 04:46 PM

that is why it's better to purchase parts from someone like Bolens Parts and Supply, they may cost a little more but save time and aggravation, as they have already done the leg work to get the correct parts to you the first time. well worth the small cost difference to me! you can't buy more time.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and MailmAn have said thanks

#37 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 389 Thanks
  • 776 posts

Posted February 22, 2019 - 06:04 PM

True, but if the carburetor I need is indeed NLA, there's not much anyone is going to be able to do to order it!

• drbish said thank you

#38 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • 240 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted February 22, 2019 - 07:51 PM

most of mine have the 12982B carburetor on them. you should be able to take the choke assembly off of the carburetor that was on it. there were over thirty model numbers for the L63 series, the visable difference would be the least of your problems, as there are a loy of different jets, nozzles and venturies that were used on all the different Wisconsin engine models made.

• MailmAn said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, ek-10, estate keeper, zenith, carburetor, wisconsin, tra-10d