3 replies to this topic

#1 burt8810 OFFLINE  

burt8810

• Member No: 6878
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 28, 2018 - 06:29 PM

Hello,

Several weeks ago raised seat on my 4200 and it looked as if the mounting strap for the fuel tank had broken. Tank setting at an angle and strap not touching top of tank.

Upon removing the filler cap everything returned to normal. On inspection noted breather hole in cap was plugged, quite substantially. Sharp awl, brake cleaner and compressed air fixed that. Everything normal again.

Surprised at the amount of vacuum the fuel pump created.

Herb

• Cvans said thank you

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 9247 Thanks
  • 7167 posts

Posted June 28, 2018 - 10:54 PM

You've got a good little tractor there. Take care of it and it should be with you for a long time. 

A good mower deck is worth almost as much as the tractor as they rust through if not cared for. 

Edited by Cvans, June 28, 2018 - 10:56 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4363 Thanks
  • 2668 posts

Posted June 28, 2018 - 11:56 PM

Did the same thing to a 1967 Ford Falcon Ranchero. Ran out of gas, filled it up, it only took 3 gallons. I had to hook the compressor up to the tank and blow it up like a balloon to get it back in shape.   Don 

• Cvans said thank you

#4 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 934 Thanks
  • 730 posts

Posted July 01, 2018 - 10:44 AM

Love the G4200's, wish I still had mine.  Those decks are so prone to rusting out.  The design was poor with lots of places for grass to lay and water to remain on top creating a toxic mixture for the metal.  I kept the belt covers off mine and used my air gun or leaf blower to clean the deck instead of the garden hose.  I also scrapped the underside nearly weekly during the wet spring and early summer mowing season.    

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cap, breather, plugged, fuel, tank