• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 389 Thanks
  • 776 posts

Posted June 23, 2018 - 10:04 AM

I wasn't sure if this could go here or if it should be in the Craigslist/eBay Finds forum?  Anyways, at the risk of potentially losing out on these to someone else, I wanted to share this with the group to see what others thought about this.  I found someone selling TWO Bolens Large Frame 1256 Hydrostatic tractors on eBay.  Here is the listing (that is currently ended):

https://www.ebay.com...p2047675.l10137

This guy has listed these tractors for sale on eBay twice now over the past 3 weeks or so and they have still not sold yet.  I thought he was asking a bit much for them, but then again they are TWO decent, supposedly working tractors.  I am assuming they have not sold yet because of his price and he seems to not be willing to lower his price at all.  The last time he listed it, I put in a best offer to him for $750 stating that I lived in NY and it would be a hell of a long drive to pick them up.  So, I thought I was offering a more than fair price for these tractors considering it is like a 12-13 hour drive one way to go pick them up PLUS, I would have to rent a truck and trailer to go pick them up, so it would probably cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-$800 in travel costs just to pick them up!  However, he did not even respond back to my offer and let it expire without even counter-offering anything back.  (I hate when people do that and they list their item as a "Buy-It-Now with Best Offer" but then refuse to sell it for anything below their asking price!)

So, what are some of your guys' thoughts on this?  What do you think is a fair price for this package?  Is it worth it or should I wait for something a little closer to me to come up?  I did buy a Bolens 1250 tractor a couple of years ago that I was planning on trying to restore, but it looks to be in a lot rougher shape than I originally thought and will take more time to get working.  These tractors (or at least one of them) look to be in working condition right now, so I would at least have something usable for now while I'm working on getting the 1250 up and running.  (I know, lame rationalization for further expanding my Bolens herd, which is already pretty large for what I actually need!  lol...)

Also, what are some of the differences between the 1250 and 1256 models?  Which one is the "better" tractor?  (I know the 1250 was the first Large Frame model and the first Hydrostatic tractor that Bolens made...)

On a side note, I also found this tractor on eBay, but this guy wants even MORE money for this tractor and it is only ONE tractor, not two, lol...  Here is the listing:

https://www.ebay.com...at/222578209596

This one is a Bolens 1886, which I think was the last Large Frame model before the HT series tractors?  It looks similar to the 1250 and 1256 tractors anyways.  This one looks in pretty nice shape and comes with a blade and supposedly a mower deck, but there are no pictures of the mower deck in the listing.  It does look like a nice tractor, but his asking price of over $2,000 does seem pretty damn steep for what you get with it and considering it is not in fully restored show-quality condition or anything!

I'd appreciate any feedback on these items, what you guys think of them, and what "fair prices" should be for these tractors.

(I also included some photos of the tractors below you can check out in case the listings get taken down or the links don't work for some reason...)

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens 1256 on eBay.jpg
  • Bolens 1886 on eBay.jpg

• logmillingman said thank you

#2 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 2166 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted June 23, 2018 - 12:20 PM

The 1256 is a tube frame tractor that was produced from 1970-1972 right before the G and H series tube frames came out. It has a Eaton 10 hydrostatic transmission and has a Wisconsin 12HP TRA-12D with a starter generator. They are a nice tractor with a very good design, the best hydro in a tube frame up to that point, it was a big improvement over the 1225 hydro. That 1256 is a later model 1256 they used an external tank for the hydro fluid and gear oil in the rear axle. That was changed on the later model H series tractors in the mid 70's.

Long way to go for the price I think I would wait and find something closer, they are very common and come up for sale all the time in New York and New England.

Good luck!

• MailmAn said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 17569 Thanks
  • 18866 posts

Posted June 23, 2018 - 12:49 PM

Really all depends if you feel comfortable paying the price and driving the distance to get them , out of every tube frame I have ever owned even "running condition" ones they have all had to have atleast $200-$800 of parts / work done to them to make them reliable

I tend to fix all issues at once when I get them now because when I first started out the band-aid repairs got aggravating real quick when you wanted to use the tractor and something different broke all the time .

Most of these tractors have not had much done to them in the past 20-30 years so at that point they really dont owe anyone anything so repairs and sinking $$ into them is just to be expected , You still come out ahead in the end where else can you find something made today that is comparable ?

My opinion

• MailmAn, TomLGT195 and logmillingman have said thanks

#4 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 1571 Thanks
  • 544 posts

Posted June 23, 2018 - 02:01 PM

Mailman,

Here in the PNW, your offer to the seller was reasonable for what he had if it was located in this region.  But for what it will cost you to go get them on top of that, would be past my threshold of pain.  I have noticed that if I am patient, I often will find what I am looking for at a price that is acceptable to me.  That being said, I do regularly watch craigslist, and have scored some very good deals when I see ads that have just come up. 

D.

#5 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62

Hangin' with the cool kids

• Member No: 42
  • 3811 Thanks
  • 2483 posts

Posted June 23, 2018 - 02:58 PM

If you want a shorter drive (7 hrs) and like to visit Canada, I have this large frame for sale.....

IMG_0384.jpg

Kijiji ad..... https://www.kijiji.c...gationFlag=true
  • MailmAn, TomLGT195 and logmillingman have said thanks

#6 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 389 Thanks
  • 776 posts

Posted June 23, 2018 - 08:53 PM

If you want a shorter drive (7 hrs) and like to visit Canada, I have this large frame for sale.....

attachicon.gifIMG_0384.jpg

Lol...  Yeah, I was just reading your post about the tractor when you got it.  I thought you were thinking of keeping it for a while?  It looks awfully similar to the 1250 Large Frame I have now.  Were you able to find new tires for the back or did you just throw tubes in them and air them up?  Looks really decent after you washed it and started fixing it up a bit.

Unfortunately, I don't have a passport or anything, so I couldn't make a trip over the border into Canada right now...  :(   That is a really nice find though!

#7 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62

Hangin' with the cool kids

• Member No: 42
  • 3811 Thanks
  • 2483 posts

Posted June 24, 2018 - 05:55 AM

Everything is for sale at the right price.....lol

Besides, space is an issue right now, dont like leaving stuff outside.

I just put 15 in car snow tires on it, thats all the previous owner had on it too. The fronts are 8 in off of a trailer. 

Edited by poncho62, June 24, 2018 - 05:57 AM.

• MailmAn and logmillingman have said thanks

#8 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 730 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted September 29, 2018 - 07:18 AM

some how you are missing some other "deals" ( hopefully no offense to "Poncho62)
https://capecod.crai...6676356722.html
however, I think you need to consider what you want and how you're going to use it - if you're "collecting" then the cost becomes sort of 2nd to the collecting, if you're "using" then the cost becomes how much do I spend to get the work done that I want....
-if you go for the ebay deal, might be easier to use something like "PODS" or a trucking company to ship it or rent a box truck, put them in the back and drive away,
just my quick thoughts
good luck

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, 1256, large frame, ebay