• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 sozamora72 OFFLINE  

sozamora72
  • Member No: 79359
  • 48 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 06, 2018 - 08:22 AM

Hello everyone.  Well I saw this on Craigslist approximately two weeks ago and had been following it.  The owners were asking $700, non running stating gas tank needed to be replaced.  Well I called up and got additional pictures and information on it.  Without seeing it physically other than pictures I offered $500.  A day later they responded back stating come get it.  Me and the boss lady took a 4 hour road trip, one way, this past Sunday to go pick it up.  When I arrived at their place I still asked questions and supposedly it had been parked for at least two years with everything working, tractor itself,  when parked.  No question about it I took a 4 hour trip to go get it, its coming back regardless.  Had trouble loading it up on trailer due to one of the rear tires on tractor was shot.  Anyway it was loaded and back home we go. Got home late in the evening and I as soon as we arrived I was curious to see if motor would start.  I unloaded it, jacked up the rear and took off the tire that was shot. I then jumped the battery on tractor, sprayed some gas into carb and what do you think?  It cranked and started.  I then got a tank that I had laying around and hooked it up to tractor fuel pump.  Turned the key and wouldnt you know it tractor turned on.  I said to myself WOW.  Carburetor will still have to be addressed since there is some surging, not major but somewhat.  On Monday during my lunch I went to the local Snapper dealer and got me a bushing for the gas tank.  Thats all it neeed.  As of right now I'm still needing to spend additonal money on a rear tire and work on carb. I have to address other issues as well because while taking off the rear tire I noticed the rear axle and the rim has some transmission fluid on it.  I believe I'm going to have to change out seals on axle, both sides.  Hope this isnt a major project.  I will have to do some research on part numbers for rear axle seals.  Also the mower deck is missing all of the top pulleys and bottom blades, which I know are hard to come by since I had previously owned a MF 1650.  I'm stumped on mower deck thought.  It appears to be missing the deck height adujstment or is this a pull behind mower deck?  Anyway I know parts are hard to come by so question is can I adapt any type of mower deck to this monster? Also will original muffler be hard to come by along with grill and lights.  Just asking someone out there might have something.  I've been looking on ebay since I got this thing but nothing seems to be there.  

Attached Thumbnails

• P3200066.JPG
  • P3200064.JPG
  • P3200065.JPG
  • P3200067.JPG
  • P3200068.JPG
  • P3200069.JPG
  • P3200070.JPG
  • P3200071.JPG
  • P3200072.JPG
  • P3200073.JPG
  • P3200074.JPG
  • P3200075.JPG
  • P3200076.JPG
  • P3200077.JPG

• DMAX, 101 senior, jpswift1 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1195
  • 189 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted June 06, 2018 - 09:07 AM

Small advice, can you please break your messages in blocks, this massive block is quite hard to follow!

The rear hubs are most of the time a PITA to remove, be prepared to build a puller and to heat the hubs. DO NOT use wheel bolts to apply force, I trashed one of mines doing this. You can attach to the hub using the bolts but avoid turning them while under pressure.

Your deck seems to miss a lot of parts. Pretty sure it is a mid-mount deck. Easy to adapt to be used at the rear of the tractor with the 3points hitch. Do you have the gear box? The pulleys and timing belts? Do you have the 4 arms to attach it to the tractor? They are great decks but the "fiber'ish" pulleys are often damaged and really expensive. Search my posts/gallery about this you will see I had to fix them on my deck.

It's a great tractor, I love mine!

• DMAX and sozamora72 have said thanks

#3 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 3768 Thanks
  • 2017 posts

Posted June 06, 2018 - 09:27 AM

Nice buy!  I see that is came with the 3 point and rear pto.  I think you did well on the price.  The 1855 or 1655 is on my list to buy.  Keep the picture coming so we can follow along.

• sozamora72 said thank you

#4 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 149 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted June 06, 2018 - 10:40 AM

Great tractor, great buy.

Can you read/post the engine S/N?

Based on the tractor S/N I believe this is a 1981 vintage, built in Apr. 

Dan

#5 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 888 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted June 06, 2018 - 01:21 PM

Great deal and NICE tractor!  I have a very nice grille, headlights, gas tank, and pretty much every part you'll need.  I even have the rubber headlight mounting grommets.  I have a couple 1655/1855 tractors that I parted out to put one nice one together and I have a lot of parts left over.  Congrats!

#6 WHX14 OFFLINE  

WHX14
  • Member No: 89419
  • 67 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 07, 2018 - 08:56 AM

Nice, I have one I am trying to sell but having no luck. I don't have the somewhat coveted 3 pt tho.

#7 sozamora72 OFFLINE  

sozamora72
  • 48 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 07, 2018 - 08:58 PM

Small advice, can you please break your messages in blocks, this massive block is quite hard to follow!

The rear hubs are most of the time a PITA to remove, be prepared to build a puller and to heat the hubs. DO NOT use wheel bolts to apply force, I trashed one of mines doing this. You can attach to the hub using the bolts but avoid turning them while under pressure.

Your deck seems to miss a lot of parts. Pretty sure it is a mid-mount deck. Easy to adapt to be used at the rear of the tractor with the 3points hitch. Do you have the gear box? The pulleys and timing belts? Do you have the 4 arms to attach it to the tractor? They are great decks but the "fiber'ish" pulleys are often damaged and really expensive. Search my posts/gallery about this you will see I had to fix them on my deck.

It's a great tractor, I love mine!

No problem.  I apologize for the massive block as I believe I was so excited and just blurted everything out at one time.

I checked the rear hubs today and hubs dont apppear to have much play but I really wont know till I wait on tires I purchased and fill up transmission to see where leak is coming from.  I'm not looking forward if I'm having to work on the seals.

You are correct.  The deck is missing alot of parts.  Blades are missing along with brackets that hold the blades.  The pulleys on top are missing as well as the gear box.  No arms or brackets, what you see in pictures is all I have.  Hence the question can another deck be modified to fit on the rear of this beast.

I will definitely check out your post/gallery.  Thank you so much.

#8 sozamora72 OFFLINE  

sozamora72
  • 48 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 07, 2018 - 09:00 PM

Great deal and NICE tractor!  I have a very nice grille, headlights, gas tank, and pretty much every part you'll need.  I even have the rubber headlight mounting grommets.  I have a couple 1655/1855 tractors that I parted out to put one nice one together and I have a lot of parts left over.  Congrats!

I have PM you on parts.  Thank you.

• jpswift1 said thank you

#9 sozamora72 OFFLINE  

sozamora72
  • 48 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 07, 2018 - 09:02 PM

Nice buy!  I see that is came with the 3 point and rear pto.  I think you did well on the price.  The 1855 or 1655 is on my list to buy.  Keep the picture coming so we can follow along.

Thank you.  It sure did come with the 3 point and rear pto.  Thats what attracted me to this beast.  I figured I could buy some aftermarket rear implements and get to work.  Once again Thank you.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#10 sozamora72 OFFLINE  

sozamora72
  • 48 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 07, 2018 - 09:05 PM

Nice, I have one I am trying to sell but having no luck. I don't have the somewhat coveted 3 pt tho.

What a shame.  Down in my parts of the woods nothing like this comes up.  You literally have to travel to Central or Northern Texas to get something like this.  And what is messed up about it I live in the Southernest part of Texas, right at the border of Texas and Mexico.

• WHX14 said thank you

#11 sozamora72 OFFLINE  

sozamora72
  • 48 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 07, 2018 - 09:09 PM

Great tractor, great buy.

Can you read/post the engine S/N?

Based on the tractor S/N I believe this is a 1981 vintage, built in Apr. 

Dan

Thank you.  The only numbers I can read on serial number is 142358?9.  Cant tell what that letter or number is due to the crease on tag.

#12 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 149 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted June 08, 2018 - 05:57 AM

That's the Snapper S/N, I suspect that the 1st digit, "1", is 1981, and the 2ed is the month, "4" is Apr.

The engine S/N will be on a metal plate on the engine. With that vintage Onan, the letter is the month, the next 2 digits is the year. 

If it is still there, it's on the top of the blower sheet metal under the throttle linkage.

Dan  

Edited by DL-North, June 08, 2018 - 05:58 AM.

#13 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Contributor
  • 189 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted June 08, 2018 - 10:25 AM

Hence the question can another deck be modified to fit on the rear of this beast.

I would suggest digging information for John Deere mowers from the 4xx series (and may be the 3xx series?) they are shaft driven, should have the 1" 15T splines and I think could fit with reasonable modifications. I guess the only thing would be to verify the rotation direction of the input shaft as JD are driven from the rear of the tractor as your's is from the front of the tractor.

To me the advantage to JD's accessories is the ease to find them, the "low" price and availability of the parts.

#14 pacer OFFLINE  

pacer
  • Member No: 39185
  • 99 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted June 08, 2018 - 10:46 AM

How bout the 1640/1650 decks - appearance wise they seem pretty close - minus the gear box??

#15 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Contributor
  • 189 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted June 08, 2018 - 02:10 PM

How bout the 1640/1650 decks - appearance wise they seem pretty close - minus the gear box??

I think they also have interference blades with timing belts? I don't have anything agains this (in fact I like it) but they are harder to find than JD's decks and a lot of decks seem to have problems with the timing belt pulleys. It's fixable and not a major issue once fixed but it's not trivial.

Also the 1655 doesn't have a belt output, it would have to be modified to provide this and I find belt driven accessories less than desirable.

• Mark 149 J. and sozamora72 have said thanks