• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 6725 Thanks
  • 2700 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 07:46 PM

My Uncle bought this Panzer a few years ago at an auction, used it once, then parked it in a shed. He said that it really wasn't what he was looking for and he wanted an Economy tractor. We went to an auction recently and he bought an early 60's Economy tractor that was missing a few things, but it was in good overall condition. It had the 8" front wheels and he wanted the 12" wheels on it. I told him that I had new front rims, tires, tubes, and a good pair of front hubs and spindles if he wanted to convert it. I also had new rear tires and the Economy needed new ones. Well, he said put all that stuff on the Economy, replace what's missing, change all the fluids, and come pick up that Panzer. He said that he would never use the Panzer and he'll put the Economy tractor in It's place. It sounded great to me, so I got to work on the Economy. Besides the wheels, tires and front end parts, I installed new points, condenser, coil, carburetor, fuel line, air cleaner, air cleaner tube, and front engine pulley. The oldEconomy tractor started on the second pull and ran really good.
Saturday, my Uncle called and said that he moved the Farmall Cub out of the shed and to come pick up the Panzer if I had time. Off I went with a trailer that I had sitting in the weeds. The Panzer was dusty and still had the auction tag on the steering wheel. The fuel line was dry rotted, so I couldn't start it until I replaced it. I got the tractor home and installed an original metal fuel line on the Briggs 23 and it started right up. I installed an original early muffler and an NOS air cleaner that I had. I cleaned the grime off of the tractor and put it to use today hauling straw and crap from the chicken coops. After the second load the engine died and wouldn't start. I had compression, fuel, and spark, so I changed the plug and condenser. The tractor fired up, but died again and wouldn't start. With everything checking out, it had to be the magnamatic coil. Off came the engine and I popped off the flywheel. The coil looked like the original coil and it wasn't in good shape at all. I keep a few on hand, so I grabbed a good one, and installed an NOS metal shielded wire from the points box to the back plate. I put the tractor back together and finished hauling without any more issues. It's a fun tractor to use and simple to work on.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180526_184742.jpg
  • 20180528_122913.jpg
  • 20180528_123657.jpg

Edited by classic, May 28, 2018 - 09:41 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, lyall and 2 others have said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2401 Thanks
  • 1668 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 08:24 PM

that's a great looking panzer jim, the serial number is stamped on the front frame rail right side I think they are kinda hard to see especially if it's been repainted, also see if the on the drive lever post a pic of all the embossing I can tell if it's one of the "originals", I almost had one these but I bought the 57 bolens super ram he had, my buddy got the 3 wheel panzer.
  • Alc and classic have said thanks

#3 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 6725 Thanks
  • 2700 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 08:54 PM

Thanks Jay. I looked for the serial number on the tractor, but there is some pitting in that area. The serial number has probably rusted away. The Briggs dates to February-March of '56, though. Here's the embossing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180528_215208.jpg

#4 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 6725 Thanks
  • 2700 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 08:58 PM

Here's the coil that gave me trouble.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180528_215618.jpg

#5 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 2046 Thanks
  • 1568 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 09:16 PM

Was expecting a honda or something of the sort but this is even better. 

• classic said thank you

#6 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3722 Thanks
  • 1470 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 09:19 PM

That's really cool!

• classic said thank you

#7 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 6725 Thanks
  • 2700 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 09:38 PM

I've been looking over pics of other T102 Panzers and the seat on mine is not the correct seat. It also has a replacement Kenda front tire. I have the correct seat and I'm cleaning it up now so I can paint it red and put it on. I also have a B.F. Goodrich Silvertown tire that was on an old garden cart that I bought a while back. I cleaned up the tire and I'll put that on, too. I've seen this tire on quite a few Panzers in the pics that I've seen. I'm trying to get the tractor back to as original as possible. Here's a pic I came across of a T102 with what I think is the correct seat and front tire.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180527_205833.jpg
  • 20180527_211651.jpg
  • 20180527_211623.jpg
  • post-5039-0-29834100-1376876264.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#8 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 6725 Thanks
  • 2700 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 09:58 PM

I fixed the title of the thread Luke, it was pretty vague.

Edited by classic, May 28, 2018 - 10:11 PM.

#9 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 2401 Thanks
  • 1668 posts

Posted May 29, 2018 - 04:50 AM

Thanks Jay. I looked for the serial number on the tractor, but there is some pitting in that area. The serial number has probably rusted away. The Briggs dates to February-March of '56, though. Here's the embossing.

It's a later one, the first few said college park instead of laurel, hence "copar", it is cool you are getting it all original again. I will try get a pic of the seat on my friends but I think yours is correct now, as for original I am finishing up a wh, that I washed and degrease and than waxed it and it brought all the the original patina and color back to life, looks amazing

Edited by jabelman, May 29, 2018 - 04:50 AM.

• Alc and classic have said thanks

#10 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 9087 Thanks
  • 8326 posts

Posted May 29, 2018 - 05:20 AM

When I read your tread I was just scrolling down and didn't look at the pictures until I was done and WOW I wasn't expecting as nice as a tractor as you got !!! :thumbs: 

• classic said thank you

#11 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 6725 Thanks
  • 2700 posts

Posted May 29, 2018 - 07:30 AM

Thanks Jay. I read quite a bit about these tractors and looked over a bunch of pics of them. I have seen some with round hole seats, but not in the configuration like on this tractor. It's not in good shape under the paint, so I may as well throw the slotted hole seat on it. I'll have to search for a Colledge Park built tractor now, HA! Just what I need, another brand to start collecting. Right now, I'm working like mad on the Gard'n Mast'r JR tractor and I want to finish it ASAP. The inner axle seals should be here today, so I can assemble the rearend. Post a pic of that cleaned up WH,I'd like to see it. It's great to see cleaned up original tractors.

#12 No Quarter OFFLINE  

No Quarter
  • Member No: 75676
  • 72 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 29, 2018 - 06:13 PM

Nice. I wish we had more vintage garden tractors in the Pacific NW like you have back east. I'd like to pick up a Economy / Power King and they're hard to come by. We do have our share of Gibsons though.

Edited by No Quarter, May 29, 2018 - 06:14 PM.

• classic said thank you

#13 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 6725 Thanks
  • 2700 posts

Posted May 29, 2018 - 07:56 PM

Gibson's are one of my favorite tractors, No Quarter. I haven't seen any for sale in my area for a while now. Economy tractors are great for hauling and plowing and I like the older models. They do come up for sale often out here. The big Panzers haven't been showing up for sale like they were just a few years ago. I like the simplicity of these old tractors, and the are very tough machines.
  • No Quarter said thank you

#14 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 2401 Thanks
  • 1668 posts

Posted May 29, 2018 - 08:29 PM

different brands seem to run in cycles, there hasn't been much lately of anything interesting locally, did see a 59 bolens reasonable, no odd ball rusty ones which is fine I have enough to do right now
  • classic said thank you