24 replies to this topic

#1 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 202 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 03:33 PM

Many here on GT Talk know I have a 1655 for sale, and I have it listed not only here but also on C/L.

And while I may be wrong (don't believe so) I will vent for a couple of minutes. I am sick and tired of self professed experts on Massey Garden tractors. I have been collecting parts for over 30 years. My first Massey was a 1200  that I upgraded to a 16HP with a wonderful Kohler. That extra 4 HP seems to make all the difference. I have bought 2 -1855's, my current 1655, 2 -1650's and one extra 1600 that was a basket case without an engine.

Here goes.

The so called experts hide behind their texting. They don't even have the courtesy to call just argue from a text.

First Instance was a man from Topeka Kansas who promptly explained to me a 1655 was nothing more than a 1650 with a different engine and was no where close to a 1855.

The second was this weekend when a man  told me that because I didn't have an original engine in my 1655 I had destroyed its value and it did not matter what Onan I had in it it had zero value as it was not original. When I shared with him in a tempered manner the frame was not altered, molested or modified, His exact words were " No new motors are even compatible".

How is it possible there are so many stupid people who are clueless and yet want to profess their knowledge or purport to know more than those of us who have all the owners manuals for all of the 1200-1855 series, and their respective parts manuals?

I guess stupidity isn't unlawful; just rampant in a society where others can say they saw it on the internet and that makes it the gospel.

Thank you for the forum to vent. I don't feel better but I am pleased to get it off my chest. And if those 2 people are on this forum, maybe just maybe they will learn something.  That is they dont know everything.

• DMAX, limebuzz, HowardsMF155 and 11 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 53437 Thanks
  • 53421 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 04:17 PM

I feel your frustration! Some folks think they know it all!

• Petenpole, jimbobbillyray, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 19194 Thanks
  • 11925 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 04:23 PM

The blessing of a text is you can delete kit without reading it. 

As for the second man; some folks think that collecting GTs is like collecting fine vintage concours automobiles. They believe that some day they are going to be worth a fortune. These are the folks who try to sell their stuff on CL for twice what it is worth.

PS; If it is worth less to a collector, it is worth more to a user. Jus' sayin'!

Edited by LilysDad, May 07, 2018 - 04:25 PM.

• jimbobbillyray, boyscout862, Leonard VanCamp and 3 others have said thanks

#4 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1550 Thanks
  • 1613 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:14 PM

Don't let that stuff get under your skin. There are all sorts of folks who try and tell you all sorts of stuff to try and get you to sell your stuff to them for cheap. It's your stuff and you know what has been done and what it's worth. Don't be stressed by the few who try to pretend to know it all. There are lots out there who are more adapt to listen to your wisdom and listen to your advice and will appreiciate it.  

• Petenpole, jimbobbillyray, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 5690 Thanks
  • 2425 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:29 PM

[t-quote name="Petenpole" post="836561" timestamp="1525725219"]

a man told me that because I didn't have an original engine in my 1655 I had destroyed its value and it did not matter what Onan I had in it it had zero value as it was not original.
[/t-quote]

I guess that means that my "Frankensteined' Simplicity is worthless and I should never have mowed the yard with it. It has the wrong engine, the wrong rims and tires, and a deck from a different model and year. I am tempted to go to the shop and flog it for being worthless and for mowing my yard three times already. :D :D

Don't let them get to you. you are the one you have to make happy. Rick

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 15295 Thanks
  • 10040 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:32 PM

Many here on GT Talk know I have a 1655 for sale, and I have it listed not only here but also on C/L.

And while I may be wrong (don't believe so) I will vent for a couple of minutes. I am sick and tired of self professed experts on Massey Garden tractors. I have been collecting parts for over 30 years. My first Massey was a 1200  that I upgraded to a 16HP with a wonderful Kohler. That extra 4 HP seems to make all the difference. I have bought 2 -1855's, my current 1655, 2 -1650's and one extra 1600 that was a basket case without an engine.

Here goes.

The so called experts hide behind their texting. They don't even have the courtesy to call just argue from a text.

First Instance was a man from Topeka Kansas who promptly explained to me a 1655 was nothing more than a 1650 with a different engine and was no where close to a 1855.

The second was this weekend when a man  told me that because I didn't have an original engine in my 1655 I had destroyed its value and it did not matter what Onan I had in it it had zero value as it was not original. When I shared with him in a tempered manner the frame was not altered, molested or modified, His exact words were " No new motors are even compatible".

How is it possible there are so many stupid people who are clueless and yet want to profess their knowledge or purport to know more than those of us who have all the owners manuals for all of the 1200-1855 series, and their respective parts manuals?

I guess stupidity isn't unlawful; just rampant in a society where others can say they saw it on the internet and that makes it the gospel.

Thank you for the forum to vent. I don't feel better but I am pleased to get it off my chest. And if those 2 people are on this forum, maybe just maybe they will learn something.  That is they dont know everything.

Don't let the Aholes get to you. To really vent takes a bunch of firewood and a splitting maul. Remember that the difference between genius and stupidity is that only genius has limits. Some people are just very stupid and they open their mouths to make sure everyone knows it. Good Luck, Rick

• Petenpole, jimbobbillyray, jpswift1 and 1 other said thanks

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 3116 Thanks
  • 3097 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:44 PM

One place I used to go to get parts had a sign that said

"Arguing with a contractor is like wrestling a pig in mud.

After a while you realize the pig likes it."

While I know it is frustrating to hear these "opinions", you should just remind yourself - and them- that this probably isn't the tractor for them.   If they keep coming back - tell them to pony up the money or stop wasting your time.

Edited by HowardsMF155, May 07, 2018 - 06:03 PM.

• Petenpole, jimbobbillyray, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3728 Thanks
  • 1474 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:52 PM

It's definitely a rude tactic to say the least.

Look at it this way, they wouldn't have contacted you in the first place if they weren't actually interested in it even though it may not actually seem that way from what they said. Plain childish is what it is. Sometimes you have see the silver lining in cases like these to not go crazy. Best thing to do with folks like those is to not even respond, that sends a bigger message vs. engaging them as it's only going to wear you down, and they're still not going to be your buyer anyway so it's not worth it. 

Regardless, some people don't have any humility and don't realize the way they come across, or care. Until someone with professionalism comes across, don't take it to heart!

Edited by Austen, May 07, 2018 - 07:40 PM.

• Petenpole, boyscout862, jpswift1 and 1 other said thanks

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 19194 Thanks
  • 11925 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 06:06 PM

pain.jpg

• boyscout862, dropped82, fredh and 2 others have said thanks

#10 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • Member No: 47743
  • 118 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 06:10 PM

Hi Petenpole,

Lots of people are posers. That'll never change. A guy told me recently that swapping out the tired, 41 year old Onan in our 1655 would make the unit worthless for resale.

Hummm, if the twin dies (which is getting more likely), and I can't source another BF series then, ya, the unit is worthless....... for work. We love our tough machine and would still love it with a Honda or some other viable engine.

I can't see your add here for the 1655 you are selling. I'd like to view the tractor. Ours has had a rough life and needs quite a few parts, your machine might just be what we need.

Thanks

Tom

• boyscout862, propane1, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#11 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Tractorfanatics.com

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14751 Thanks
  • 10288 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 06:52 PM

I had a prospective buyer start nitpicking a GT I had for sale, face to face. I let him drone on, and when he came up for air I asked if he was finished. I then gave him directions to the nearest dealership and told him to buzz off. When he tried to backpeddle, I would have none of it. I may speak and understand aholian, doesn't mean I use it the first time I meet someone.

Tell them to take a long walk off a short dock.

#12 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 16701 Thanks
  • 9123 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 07:06 PM

And that is precisely why I do not, and will not text. If they can't talk to me on the phone or in person they don't need my attention. Almost as bad a those stupid auto dialers. Don't get me started on them.
  • Petenpole, boyscout862, Austen and 1 other said thanks

#13 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3728 Thanks
  • 1474 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 07:42 PM

[t-quote]

I had a prospective buyer start nitpicking a GT I had for sale, face to face. I let him drone on, and when he came up for air I asked if he was finished. I then gave him directions to the nearest dealership and told him to buzz off. When he tried to backpeddle, I would have none of it.[/t-quote]

Good play.
  • boyscout862 and fredh have said thanks

#14 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1192 Thanks
  • 1177 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 07:45 PM

In my opinion just because something was repowered and done correctly and neatly it won't hurt the value. if it's butchered up now thats a different story. I wouldn't even acknowledge there text.

• Leonard VanCamp and fredh have said thanks

#15 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 730 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 10:17 PM

hopefully I won't offend anyone, however, I think all of these machines are first off machines/tools that are beautifully designed & built for their purpose - collecting them is both fun & useful for those who use them - modifications to them usually makes them "better" tools and as long as the owner is happy with the final product...who cares what others think
I had to deal with many people who were more than happy to tell me I didn't know anything or screwed things up - i would usually let them talk and then move on, knowing that they pretty much don't mean anything to me, I don't eat with them, drink with them, live with them, etc,
sooo
Who cares...they're texting/talking to get attention and get a reaction and I'll admit that sometimes they do, but at some point I just move on to my next project and forget about them -
let'em text, they must be "poor souls" with nothing better to do - ignore them for the unfortunate fools that they are who won't do any better in life and enjoy yours
sorry about being so long winded - just had some thoughts on this and figured I'd share
To "Petenpole"
Vent away, people here will "listen" and accept, the others who won't - Who cares!
also, nothing will change "them" as they're all so much smarter then "us"
  • Petenpole and boyscout862 have said thanks