8 replies to this topic

#1 MaxTractor OFFLINE  

MaxTractor
  • Member No: 90049
  • 80 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 02:41 AM

1981 GTV/16 Briggs Opposed Twin Varidrive Garden Tractor

* edited - I have learned it is actually a 1981. Posting title still says 1980.

I need help finding the correct size for the drive belts (2 belts, the long engine to varidrive belt as well as the shorter varidrive to transaxle belt.) Recommendations for a source for the belts is also appreciated. I did spend some time trying to find this information but not with good results. I also have not been able to find a manual for this model or for anything very close. I am pretty sure it is a 1980. I'll include model/serial info in a pic.

The Varidrive system is rather unique, having a big lever on the right to control the actuation of a variable ratio pulley system. This is instead of having a hi/lo trans, so this 833 transaxle just has the 3 speeds and reverse and no hi/lo lever on the side. I have never driven one yet, but theoretically you get a smooth/variable transition from the hi/lo ranges.

The pulley arrangement is very unique. The Briggs Opposed Twin (love em a lot) is mounted with the cylinders to the sides and crank aligned inline with tractor travel, main pulley on the back. There is a set of double pulleys at an angle underneath to change the direction of the main drive belt by 90 degrees and this arrives at the Varidrive pulley. Then there is a much shorter belt from the Varidrive pulley back to the transaxle.

Would love to get accurate belt size info and/or manuals or any suggestions, comments or questions on this tractor. I have not done much restoration yet on this tractor. It is one my my projects in waiting as I have quite a few other current ones.

These are awesome heavy duty garden tractors and I love the 1980s, Trans Am looking front. I'm curious how the Varidrive will work once I get it restored nicely.

I yearn to own an FF24 some day so this is the closest tractor to that in my collection currently.

IMG_0896.jpg IMG_0920.jpg IMG_1040.jpg Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 12.19.04 AM.png

Edited by MaxTractor, May 02, 2018 - 12:05 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#2 MaxTractor OFFLINE  

MaxTractor
  • 80 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 03:08 AM

A few more pics showing more pulley detail and the cool Trans-Am inspired front end. (This tractor is from when Smokey and the Bandit and the Pontiac Trans Am were the rage. It's just my personal theory that there is a design/marketing connection.) The big Varidrive control lever is on the right side and this particular year has the cool ergonomic handle on top. I think the previous year had a regular lever handle. Varidrive was not sold for many years on this series but I think it might have occurred elsewhere in the Sears timeline/lineup. I included the Briggs Opposed Twin engine model/serial pic.

IMG_0895.jpg IMG_0886.jpg IMG_0913.jpg IMG_0917.jpg IMG_0968.jpg IMG_0982.jpg IMG_1045.jpg

Edited by MaxTractor, May 01, 2018 - 04:51 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 53145 Thanks
  • 53295 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 06:04 AM

Those were only made between '81-'83. I have 2 of them. Here is the closest Owner's Manual we have. If I am reading that engine code right, it was built Jan. 5th, 1981. The primary belt is part # 7074J which is a 1/2" X 65" belt. The secondary is part # 5262J, but I haven't been able to cross it over.  Hope this helps.

• MaxTractor said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Fixer of Broken junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6871 Thanks
  • 4606 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 06:52 AM

Googled 917.253720 Parts and service manual here. http://searstractorm...s/917253724.pdf

Part numbers for the belts. ( Rear Sears Part # 5262J )  ( Front Sears Part # 7074J )

Crossed over the part numbers to Gates Power rated belts. Very hard to find info on the rear belt but I found it.

Front Sears part # 7074J  Crosses over to Gates 6865 Power rated Belt (1/2" x 65")
https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B0009ZAT8E

Rear belt Sears Part # 5262J (Sears Part # No Longer Available) crosses over to a Gates part # 6941 power rated belt (5/8" x 41") 

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0009X892Y

Do NOT get a regular old cheap belt for it. They burn up very very quick. You want good Power rated Aramid fiber Kevlar corded belts.

Problem with the old part numbers is they are old Sears\Roper part numbers. Roper and Poulan/Weedeater was Bought By electrolux in 1988 which was AYP until and then changed the name to Husqvarna Group. All Sears tractors with the 1st 3 numbers 917 are Husqvarna built.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 01, 2018 - 07:22 AM.

• KennyP and MaxTractor have said thanks

#5 MaxTractor OFFLINE  

MaxTractor
  • 80 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 12:18 PM

Thanks very much for the great responses and info! I'll definitely get the heavy duty belts. I recently got a beat up old Ford LGT 12 4 speed and it once I researched them they really started growing on me .. I think I could really get into some Ford garden tractors. I was surprised to see how heavy duty some of the models are. They seem inspired some heavy duty cub cadets of the era.

Hopefully I can help some folks with info too. I have a lot of custom projects, pics and videos and I build things in some unusual ways so maybe I can give folks some new ideas.

Cheers!

• EricFromPa and KennyP have said thanks

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 53145 Thanks
  • 53295 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 02:45 PM

Thanks very much for the great responses and info! I'll definitely get the heavy duty belts. I recently got a beat up old Ford LGT 12 4 speed and it once I researched them they really started growing on me .. I think I could really get into some Ford garden tractors. I was surprised to see how heavy duty some of the models are. They seem inspired some heavy duty cub cadets of the era.

Hopefully I can help some folks with info too. I have a lot of custom projects, pics and videos and I build things in some unusual ways so maybe I can give folks some new ideas.

Cheers!

Sounds like you'll fit in here real well! We have some folks that like it 'factory', then there are those of us who make 'factory' better!

• MaxTractor said thank you

#7 MaxTractor OFFLINE  

MaxTractor
  • 80 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 05:08 PM

I actually tend towards factory/original restoration too, but I do like to make custom parts and all kinds of modifications which 'bolt on'. I don't like to even drill a hole in an original tractor. I also like patina a lot and in many cases I will try to restore and polish an original finish, rust and all.

For my ST/16, I did stock up on paint which matches the original very close, Rustoleum Tuscan Sun and Almond for the mustardy-yellow and the antique-white of that era of Sears tractor.

So in come cases I might repaint, but hope to usually do a factory or better than factory restoration to closely-matched original colors as much as possible if I am in fact painting anything.

I will admit that one side of me is into totally custom stuff and I have a few tractors which I might just completely modify, mix and match parts, weld on and make crazy cool custom tractors/go-karts from. These will tend to be my newer, less-rare and less-well-built tractors.

My Ford is one I would normally restore, but it is very beat up, very used and missing a lot of body and other parts.

That one might turn into a rat-rod/hot-rod tractor.

It is a beast-in-waiting for sure.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 indslpwr04 OFFLINE  

indslpwr04
  • Member No: 71143
  • 328 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted June 28, 2018 - 01:39 PM

Does it have 1 idler pulley on the rear belt or 2?  there was a change in the design.  There is a manual in the reference section for 917.253724 but it does not match my variaor design.  Other than that the rest of the manual is usefull. Mine is a XXXX25 or XXXXX27 ending serial number,  Im getting conflicting info depending on models number.  Right now i have 2 1/2 belts and the variator doesn't work correctly.  

Im gonna try this.  

NAPA AUTOMOTIVE 5L400W made with Kevlar Replacement Belt 5/8X40" for the rear.

NAPA AUTOMOTIVE 5L680W made with Kevlar Replacement Belt 5/8X68" for the front. 

IM in search of the belt size for the mower deck.

Have one to sell? Sell now
NAPA AUTOMOTIVE 5L680W made with Kevlar Replacement Bel

#9 indslpwr04 OFFLINE  

indslpwr04
  • Member No: 71143
  • 328 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted July 05, 2018 - 12:17 PM

Check my latest post with belt sizes listed.  Changed them out last night.  workes great. 

To replace the engine to variator you have completely remove the front double pulley assembly from the frame.  Its 3 bolts.  

Attached Thumbnails

• gtv16 pully 2.jpg
  • gtv16 pully 1.jpg
  • gtv16 pully 3.jpg

Edited by indslpwr04, July 05, 2018 - 12:18 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: belt, gtv-16, gtv16, varidrive, opposed, twin, sears, craftsman, drive belt