Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 2281 Thanks
  • 1992 posts

Posted February 17, 2020 - 09:54 AM

I'm saving pretty hard for a new tool. After much reading/vidoes, etc I'm leaning real hard towards a Powermatic 3520C lathe, Tormek T8 and Sorby turning tools. There is supposed to be a Powermatic sale at Acme Elec last week of April. Unless someone can show me the error in my ways.... LOL, I think it's going to happen. It's been many years in the making, hope to come to fruitation this spring. (Please don't tell my wife.. hehehehe)

Powermatic historically has been a high end machine. I believe they are now owned by Jet and are built in China.

Their quality still seems to be pretty decent.

If you come across any of the older green painted machines in good condition they're a safe bet for quality.

Smitty
  • Cvans and 4getgto have said thanks

#242 mrmd ONLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 291 Thanks
  • 145 posts

Posted February 17, 2020 - 09:12 PM

I need to get a new tool but don,t know which one to get. Anybody have any recommendations on a jump starter?
  • Sawdust said thank you

#243 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 711 Thanks
  • 422 posts

Posted February 23, 2020 - 12:21 PM

Got the Powermatic and set up, man is that darn thing heavy!  Glad my 'bota has a loader on it, gave it a pretty good work-out.  PM is owned by Jet but it's upper level model?  It's made in Tiawan so I checked it out hard as I put it togather.  Picked up 4 R. Sorby chisels and have a Tormek T-8 on the way.  All I need to do is wire it up with 230.  Picked up everything needed on sat., wiring/breaker, etc.  There are a couple USA made lathes, would love to have one but just don't have 7-8K to spend on a.... (toy) tool.  This one was a hard stretch/long time saving for.

Attached Thumbnails

• Lathe.jpg

Edited by FrozenInTime, February 23, 2020 - 12:27 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#244 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

VGTCOA member

• Member No: 7710
  • 388 Thanks
  • 346 posts

Posted February 24, 2020 - 10:43 PM

Hi All,

I'm going to answer my own question on here. The 

#215 post on page 15 in this section is a cream separator disc washer.  Patented Dec. 15, 1914.

patent #1,120,882.

• DougT, Utah Smitty, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#245 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6683 Thanks
  • 3772 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:07 PM

I need to get a new tool but don,t know which one to get. Anybody have any recommendations on a jump starter?

I got the viking at hf for Christmas. I've only used it on my tractors so far very convenient & works well. It's on sale in the March flyer for $59.99
  • KennyP and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#246 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 8638 Thanks
  • 6964 posts

Posted Today, 12:30 AM

Was in Sioux Falls the other day and had to stop at HF. Getting underneath things to position a jack is harder to do everyday. Picked up one of these and already like it. 

20200218_154406.jpg

• jhn9840, olcowhand, Alc and 5 others have said thanks