• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#211 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted May 11, 2020 - 09:49 PM

Yep. Still got a tiller for mine. Matter of fact almost every Bolens I've purchased came with a tiller, and I still have 4 of them.
Here's me tilling a new bed for some onions a few weeks ago.
attachicon.gif0404201744.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the photo. Wow, four of these guys would be a lot to have around! Yeah, the tiller did seem to be a common attachment for these based on the amount you see. I've found it does operate smoothly. They are incredibly awkward to move around though, statically speaking, and require a lot of "oomph" for one person to attach to the machine. They are an example, IMO, of Bolens overbuilt quality.

Edited by Austen, May 11, 2020 - 09:50 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, logmillingman and 2 others have said thanks

#212 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted May 13, 2020 - 09:04 PM

ZI3eACd.jpg

I've gone back and forth with this and have been keeping a close eye on it and that is the way the pump was mounted. It was hard mounted instead of directly to the axle so that it could pivot with axle. On large frames, the PTO actually travels with the front axle because it's mounted to it in the center, it's kind of an interesting design. Anyway, the axle did in fact flex out fully on both sides as I demonstrated in the earlier video but I knew there was tension on that chain coupler and could feel it when I'd jack the front of the tractor up and flexed the axle out by hand and tried rotating the coupler. Rather than think about that coupler every time I used it worrying about added stress, I contacted a local fab shop I've worked with before and they got a new setup in place in record time thanks to Kevin's helpful pics. They retained the extra cross member piece that the pump was previously mounted on before which is also nice, they did a clean job of it and matched the overall quality or character if you will, to the rest of the loader. I think it is a happier setup now. As the fab shop mentioned, the amount the pump/pto moves with the axle when it is fully rotated is actually not very much. The chain coupler is designed to have some degree of free play movement but I wanted that added tension taken out of it.

0tcZHQT.jpg

CoBptdQ.jpg

Vw37Asb.jpg

t4EQb9l.jpg

Another neat feature of this is that it now sort of acts as a skid plate or guard around the chain coupler.

VJfgkoQ.jpg

hv15uWG.jpg

Cross member piece retained that the pump was mounted to before. It was trimmed at the bottom where it was previously mounted. Now it goes straight across aside from the notch made for the front hyd couplings.

xKi6GN8.jpg

The fabricator was worried that the original lower belt guard rods that you attach the pump to may not support the pump that well so they upgraded to a bigger size.

2vgTyXs.jpg

And now, all is well.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, 29 Chev and 3 others have said thanks

#213 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted June 06, 2020 - 08:12 PM

Sometimes on rainy weekend days when you're stuck inside, your mind wonders and you think about the little improvements and personalization touches you could do to your tractor. Well, I'm guilty as charged and while I'm being honest, I'll even say that this wouldn't be the first time either.

1. This first one may be a bit rich. You create something online and you get a visual of it dimension wise.... eyeing up a tape measure on the machine.... but it's not until you get it in person which is the final 'yay or nay.' What I'm saying is, a comparison of different sizes and versions would be a lot easier to choose by if you had the option to see in person but what you get is what you get when it arrives in the mailbox. Don't know how long it will stay, may pop it off and scrap if for a different version or may just remove it altogether.

mUCR47M.jpg

xfncmV5.jpg

A3N2PHe.jpg

2. I had never seen one of these battery terminal covers before. Jeff, the very kind gentleman who transported it from Rick's place to CTC, had this in an online auction. I thought this would be kind of cool to have underneath the hood and was happy to support Jeff. In this application at least, there's not a good spot for secondary j-hooks so I did have to resort to cable ties to secure it until my mind potentially thinks of an alternative, but it's not going anywhere for now. They are fussy and I don't know if these were an option or standard (if you know more, please share) but if these happen to be more common than I might think, it doesn't really surprise me then why you don't see them very often. Good news is that it's not a brittle-like plastic and is fairly pliable so there isn't going to be cracking any time soon.

o2ypqay.jpg

fiXm3ZR.jpg

NEjHBMV.jpg

3. Last thing to note is that I've been getting a lot more seat time with it on other projects helping neighbors. I offered to help the people nextdoor which quickly snowballed onto to others! I sometimes wonder if folks nearby me get bothered by the noise, etc, but I've been finding as of late that people who you'd never expect are intrigued and interested. When they see it out working, they stop, roll the windows down, give the thumbs up, etc.

Edited by Austen, June 07, 2020 - 04:33 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Dave in NY, WrenchinOnIt and 5 others have said thanks

#214 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 1621 Thanks
  • 592 posts

Posted June 07, 2020 - 06:36 AM

Looks great to me! I don't think a project like that will ever be "done". Always some other little thing that you think of. If you were in my neighborhood I'd have you come over and move a compost pile for me. Your tractor is a keeper for sure!
  • blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Austen and 2 others have said thanks

#215 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 19174 Thanks
  • 6478 posts

Posted June 07, 2020 - 10:05 AM

Decals give it that "Austen" personal touch and add to the value in my humble opinion.

The Bolens battery piece looks nice as well under the hood.  If you had room you could run a piece of 3/4" or 1" wide sheet metal (20, 18 or 16 gauge) above the angle iron bracket connected to the two j bolts and add two wing nuts to secure it to the existing J hooks.  Then the sheet metal could be bent on an angle so it is parallel to the top of the battery.  Then attach as piece of flat plastic to the sheet metal edge and let it go back over the tops of the battery posts (piece of nylon cutting board 1/8" - 3/8" thick) to where you would like the Bolens battery piece to sit.  Drill two 1/4" holes (or smaller to match the holes in the Bolens piece) in the plastic and use plastic bolts to go through the plastic upwards and then put two wing nuts on top to secure the Bolens piece in place.  The plastic underneath and the plastic bolts should remove any chance of a battery post shorting out against anything.  Could also use metal and place a piece of rubber on bottom side as well as protective boots over the battery post terminals and weld two 1/4" bolts on top of the metal to go up through the Bolens piece and secure it with the two wing nuts.  Just a suggestion to look a little nicer than the tie straps.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and Austen have said thanks

#216 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted June 07, 2020 - 04:09 PM

Looks great to me! I don't think a project like that will ever be "done". Always some other little thing that you think of. If you were in my neighborhood I'd have you come over and move a compost pile for me. Your tractor is a keeper for sure!

Very true, and thank you!

If you were in the neighborhood, I would! :-)

The Bolens battery piece looks nice as well under the hood.  If you had room you could run a piece of 3/4" or 1" wide sheet metal (20, 18 or 16 gauge) above the angle iron bracket connected to the two j bolts and add two wing nuts to secure it to the existing J hooks.  Then the sheet metal could be bent on an angle so it is parallel to the top of the battery.  Then attach as piece of flat plastic to the sheet metal edge and let it go back over the tops of the battery posts (piece of nylon cutting board 1/8" - 3/8" thick) to where you would like the Bolens battery piece to sit.  Drill two 1/4" holes (or smaller to match the holes in the Bolens piece) in the plastic and use plastic bolts to go through the plastic upwards and then put two wing nuts on top to secure the Bolens piece in place.  The plastic underneath and the plastic bolts should remove any chance of a battery post shorting out against anything.  Could also use metal and place a piece of rubber on bottom side as well as protective boots over the battery post terminals and weld two 1/4" bolts on top of the metal to go up through the Bolens piece and secure it with the two wing nuts.  Just a suggestion to look a little nicer than the tie straps.

Thanks for your reply, Stew! It gives me some options to think about. :thumbs:

• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#217 Clevis OFFLINE  

Clevis
  • Member No: 82966
  • 752 Thanks
  • 305 posts

Posted June 08, 2020 - 01:05 PM

Very nice, Austen! Personalized decals, what a great idea! They look sharp.
I also see you've got an autographed hood by some super GTTalk members. That's a neat idea to document it's path to you.
That battery hold down I believe is an early 1980's era piece. At least my HT23 (2389-02, probably 1981 or 1982) came with one. So it's even accurate to the era of your machine.
Did he list that on eBay some time ago? I remember bidding on it and then got distracted at the auction closing and lost out. If that's the same one then I'm glad it went to you.
Thanks for the post!

Edited by Clevis, June 08, 2020 - 01:12 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Austen and 1 other said thanks

#218 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted June 08, 2020 - 06:01 PM

Very nice, Austen! Personalized decals, what a great idea! They look sharp.
I also see you've got an autographed hood by some super GTTalk members. That's a neat idea to document it's path to you.
That battery hold down I believe is an early 1980's era piece. At least my HT23 (2389-02, probably 1981 or 1982) came with one. So it's even accurate to the era of your machine.
Did he list that on eBay some time ago? I remember bidding on it and then got distracted at the auction closing and lost out. If that's the same one then I'm glad it went to you.
Thanks for the post!

Thanks, Clevis! Oh cool, good know!  :thumbs:  Thanks for sharing that info. Yeah, I had never seen one before and don't remember ever coming across or reading about them either.

The cover was actually in a FB (little disclaimer and opinion about FB.... I'm not an advocate, nor endorse, or have any sort of profile myself other than a sign-in account to participate at-will in hobbyist-related groups)  garden tractor auction where I found it.

It is a special treat to have their signatures. Each time I open it, I'm reminded of each of their great help and the journey it has gone. When I repaint it someday, I will clear coat over the signatures to preserve them.  

One of these days you're gonna have to take it for a spin!

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Mark 149 J. and 3 others have said thanks

#219 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted June 28, 2020 - 05:32 PM

I need to buy some video editing software so that I can combine multiple clips into one video!

During my time out with it a few weeks ago, I ran into a little issue, and one I've never heard happening before to a large frame; a bent tie rod.

lZECwNr.jpg

I was working in the same area in the video and when I backed out of a pile, I noticed my front wheels had a case of webbed feet.

pNZcbku.jpg

33ddfEt.jpg

I thought a lot about it and I think my front wheels might have been turned some while I was scraping with the bucket and must've been elevated a bit. Guessing one of the turned wheels caught an unstable piece of ground grabbing it, and twisted it. It's the only thing I can figure. I've heard of the steering knuckles breaking but not a tie rod. Anyway, I got the tractor back into my trailer with some help and removed the tie rod when I got home.

TGO7d9g.jpg

I bent it back into shape using my press and then took it to a fab shop to have a gusset welded to the bottom of it.

Qds6pHb.jpg

1XxWzVk.jpg

It is a lot stronger now. I also added some toe-in to the alignment and it steers better than it did before. (The featured video, for reference, was before the tie rod bent and does not show the new alignment in case you're wondering.) I will keep a closer eye on the front wheels to make sure they do not potentially get caught on things. I also briefly discussed the possibility with David B. in Sweden (who made the steel front bolster for it) about making steel steering knuckles to replace the factory cast version which could be a future possibility. He is currently working on making reproduction steel front axles which I'll probably buy one when he offers them for sale.

Edited by Austen, June 29, 2020 - 01:23 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#220 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 782 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 02:39 PM

Just was checking out what happened to your tie rod. I’m starting to wonder now if power steering is in the future for me or not. In certain situations it will def overpower the metal and tweak it. Especially the electric steering I was considering. It’s much more powerful than the hydraulic assist used by the factory. Mine is not that terrible to use without power assist. I put 8 ply tires on it and they do not flatten with a load. Yes it’s hard to turn with 4-500 lbs of load but it is not unusable. The biggest thing to do with a load on it is to be moving before you start to steer it. Many thoughts to ponder on lol!!!

Edited by nsengineer, June 29, 2020 - 02:41 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and kjmweld have said thanks

#221 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 04:26 PM

Just was checking out what happened to your tie rod. I’m starting to wonder now if power steering is in the future for me or not. In certain situations it will def overpower the metal and tweak it. Especially the electric steering I was considering. It’s much more powerful than the hydraulic assist used by the factory. Mine is not that terrible to use without power assist. I put 8 ply tires on it and they do not flatten with a load. Yes it’s hard to turn with 4-500 lbs of load but it is not unusable. The biggest thing to do with a load on it is to be moving before you start to steer it. Many thoughts to ponder on lol!!!

A couple of my thoughts and observations.

1. My situation may be more pronounced to this happening due to my custom wheel setup that has bigger front tires and a more aggressive offset than factory  making it more of a potential. If this happens again, I will likely change the front wheel setup. On the contrary, I did not have this issue before with my 1886 running the same wheel setup for close to two years and I used the loader quite a bit.

2. "The biggest thing to do with a load on it is to be moving before you start to steer it."  While the power steering is awesome and one of the greatest features, it is very "tractor-like" in its operation of course being a hydraulic system meaning that it basically has zero feedback like you have in a manual steering setup. In other words, you don't really know what your front tires are doing unless you're looking at them because the wheel turns with just about the same feel regardless the circumstance you're in (which could be good or bad). The system is very powerful like you said and it definitely gave no warning prior to the bending of the tie rod. Your electric version may have more "feel" in the steering like some of the new higher end cars come with in comparison to the hydraulic setup, but I don't know enough about it to comment there.

I originally thought about having a thicker tie rod made but there would not be enough clearance for one between the PTO belt guard and lower pulley in particular. So, the alternative was to make a gusset on the bottom of the factory tie rod where it would not come into contact with anything.

3. Bolens designed the large frames with gas engines. Bolens did not seem to make any structural design improvements to the chassis and/ or steering components of the HDT with its heavier 3-cylinder diesel. (I know the HT20D was a diesel too but that was an air cooled 2 cylinder that was lighter; not saying it still couldn't have these same inherent issues though). I think just about every other HDT I've heard about has had a cracked bolster so that, to me, gives me some indication that if the model was going to be more mainstream, Bolens likely would've needed to beef up some of these components. Combined with the loader aspect, it adds a fair amount more weight and stress than the typical setup with gas power plant (think, stock). You and I have the only two 3-cylinder diesel large frames in existence that I know about that have a loader so I think it's probably fair to say that (as cool as they are though!!) there could be some trial and error, and experimentation going on. As disappointing and discouraging as it is when something like this happens, I've had to tell myself it is the reality of it. I don't want to tell you either way to go on your steering setup but we do know somethings for keys to success; try to steer when you're moving with heavy loads and keep an eye on your front wheels under flex & stress situations. 

I'd also like to add that this had nothing to do with Kevin's work. He went above and beyond like I've stated many times before and knows large frames better than anyone else. He got this thing mechanically sound and I attribute this to experimentation.

Don't give up on a dream though and keep on building your tractor how you want it to be. If I did not have this machine, yours would be the coolest one around in my humble book and I'd likely be knocking on your door to build another. :thumbs:

Edited by Austen, June 29, 2020 - 05:15 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#222 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt

Got Sum

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 4874 Thanks
  • 1185 posts

Posted June 29, 2020 - 04:54 PM

I’ll add a couple things. Messing around with LF’s mostly the  HT’s I believe the following, Bolens knew that had a bolster strength issue and tried to compensate with first a thicker walled bolster was cast, secondly they added the axle stops. Bob Hill who’s owned, wrenched, salvaged and saved many a HT , strongly feels if the axles stop are adjusted right up , paper width from the axle it will take away the axles ability to twist in the bolster and crack it. The 1477 forklift has 500 lbs of counter weight hanging off the front, has the thinner walled bolster and the bolster is perfect.

* edit* - But you are correct on the breakage on the HDT’s , I  also believe you DEFINITELY made the right decision by putting the custom steel one on it knowing you were going to FEL it. I sincerely believe it’s bullet proof. It will be interesting to see his axle and steering knuckles. -

The model of PS that’s on your HDT , the ones used from the HT18 or 20 forward is a true power steering not an assist. They turn with one finger if they are operating correctly, the earlier models like I just installed on the forklift have a smaller Cessna valve, smaller ports and a smaller piston, this unit will not handle the full pressure from the Eaton pump thus the diverter valve, this style I’d call an assist. 
Rick Show put a later model PS on his 1886 straight up , no diverter and it ran it fine, a matter of fact we put it on his 20 with the FEL and it’s still going strong, these have much larger components and again make steering effortless, my Duratrac GT 2000 I would classify as an assist  unit , more effort to turn it. 

Last thanks Austen but there was negligence on my behalf as when you originally contacted me about your situation we looked back thru the photos and it was definitely toed out. I never checked the measurements front to back. Perhaps the wider stance compounded the situation, time will tell. The gusseted tie rod won’t be the weak link now, toeing it in slightly is better IMO for FEL work so I think you’ll be okay. I applaud your willingness to see what will or won’t work. 

The Cascades are quite the sight. Thanks again for the pics. 

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, June 29, 2020 - 09:27 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Austen, Mark 149 J. and 2 others have said thanks

#223 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 3758 Thanks
  • 2012 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 12:31 PM

It's always fun to see your tractor working!

The video looks like your on the Eastern side of the state.  Where did you go?

Looks like your tie rod fix should be strong.  Hopefully everything else holds together.

Are you using the earthcavator as counter weight or does it work ok with it being narrow compared to the tractor?

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and Austen have said thanks

#224 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 3344 Thanks
  • 1375 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 06:14 PM

It's always fun to see your tractor working!

The video looks like your on the Eastern side of the state.  Where did you go?

Looks like your tie rod fix should be strong.  Hopefully everything else holds together.

Are you using the earthcavator as counter weight or does it work ok with it being narrow compared to the tractor?

Thanks, Mark! Someday, you too, will have to take it for a spin. :thumbs:

Yes, It's actually up near Lake Chelan, Cooper Mtn area. My dad and I for years growing up would go dirt biking up near there, camped, etc. I decided to bring along the HDT to play around a little bit to make a combined trip. :D

The Earthvacator makes for a good counterweight and I use it quite often. This one is a 36" and a little narrow for a large frame but still does the job. I'd like to find a 42" version someday (hopefully sooner than later and this one can be yours!) :thumbs:

Here's my old 500 2-stroke "widowmaker."

CjZ08VC.jpg

Edited by Austen, June 30, 2020 - 06:16 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Mark 149 J. and 2 others have said thanks

#225 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 3758 Thanks
  • 2012 posts

Posted June 30, 2020 - 06:46 PM

Heck yes on the ride and Gannon.  That is quite the view!  

My wife says I'd have to stay off the Widow maker but it would be fine for the tractor! :smilewink:

I'll start looking for a 42" for you. :thumbs:   Cat 0 correct?

• blackjackjakexxix and Austen have said thanks