• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 613 Thanks
  • 532 posts

Posted October 10, 2017 - 08:32 AM

It's called ReadyStart® and I'm not real happy with it.

My zero turn has that. If you pull it out of the shed and shut it off it won't re-start unless I let it sit. It's murder to start at low temps.

I just pulled the cover off my engine yesterday to look at the damn thing. Best I can guess is when I pull it out of the shed it warms up enough it won't start with choke but hasn't heated the bi-metal to override the spring.

As soon as the warranty is up I'm ripping all that poo off it and putting on an old fashioned choke knob. I might also look into a bigger jet so it's not so damn lean it won't start below 50 degrees.

My cub cadet ZTR has this system as well on its 24hp kohler 7000 series.

I literally have to choke it to start it even after its run 2 hours. But ive never had an issue getting it to pop over even in extreme cold (i tried it last year at 5* just to see).

Although i think its called "smartstart" or something like that on mine.

Edited by DZG, October 10, 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#32 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted October 16, 2017 - 08:34 AM

Smart start...,,. Like a smart phone or smart car, in reality not very
  • DZG said thank you

#33 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted May 12, 2020 - 10:35 PM

wow old thread... still have that Deere N21SK, going great but I had to put some money into it last year... one of the back wheels "delaminated" last summer... I had to pay like $80 for the only one I could find.... then the self propelled cable broke, another $40.... but it continues to run quite strong.  seems to still have lots of life left.... hope so anyways.  got 2-1/2 years of use from it "for free" until that point cant complain. 

last year also I wound up with a Hahn self propelled, early 80s vintage, nother 4hp Briggs....  I answered an ad for a "parts" mower on CL, and brought it home. It needed work, alright... I put gas in it and started it right up. It has a blade clutch, a lever to engage the blade (which is belt driven) and a lever for the self propelled. This one climbs the ditch like a mountain goat...  like the Deere, has an aluminum deck. got this one from a 70-some year old guy who couldn't get it running... I guess one of 2 that his Dad bought new back in the day// and according to his Dad, these were the "best mowers ever built," at the time .....  IDK what became of the 2nd one, though the seller handed me 2 blade discharge chutes/guards.... which are still in my garage. Those may find their way to the scrap bin. 

Then today, I stopped by an old saw/mower shop in town, looking for an air filter for my Lawn Boy and a couple of other incidentals.... I've known the owner for years, his son and me used to work together 20+ years ago.  he said that "if I ever need mower parts walk between his shop building and his storage building, there's a bunch back there"    I told him of an engine I have in the garage that I'm looking for the "right" mower deck to put it onto, mentioned a few brands of machines along the lines of what I'm after, and he took me out the back door, and asked "what do you think of that one"?  a yellow Ransomes Bobcat like I have been looking for for years, with a "big block" I/C 5hp Briggs on it.... He got a phone call and had to leave me to go check status of another customer's mower and I looked over this Bobcat... its in great shape, except the back wheels are delaminated like the one did on that Deere last year.... 

Well ol' Dave came back, and asked me what I thought.... I never tried to start it but he said "runs perfect, only issue is throttle vibrates down"   and I mentioned the back wheels... he said "yeah, that too, been trying to find a set for the guy that don't cost an arm and a leg"....  How's $50???  I noticed a marking on the "shot" wheels and made comment about what it said and wondered if a set of wheels that I bought last year for something else (that didn't pan out) would work on here.... I had gotten these wheels at an outlet place in Ohio (Doug T, I know you know about Glen's Surplus, its almost in your back yard-- it's a must-stop-at every year, when I get out there for the Apache camper get together....) got them cheap...…  

I went back a couple hours later and gave Dave his $50, didn't even try to jew him down any because even 30-40-and more years old, when one does come up for sale they go high-- even for a bare deck.   

got it home, went upstairs of my garage and yup.... those wheels I got last year work perfect.... cheapest ones I can find on Feebay are around $27.50/each....  these from my attic work fine. and brand new.....   

there's a guy on CL with one like it about 2 hours away, for 5x what I gave for this one..... so yeah, I gave asking price....I figured I wouldn't be able to touch a deck, wheels and handle for one of these machines for $50.....  so when I blow this engine (how ever long that might take) I have a home for that NOS '84 4 HP Briggs I/C motor I have sitting here.... that has yet to have a drop of gas or oil put into.... 

all of my current fleet of push mowers have aluminum decks now.... and all are older than the killer blade brake bail. I always liked the looks and ruggedness of these Bobcats but wow I never realized they were THAT thick and heavy to put in the back of my truck..... but wow does it push easy..... 

Edited by dodge trucker, May 12, 2020 - 10:38 PM.

• KennyP, LilysDad and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#34 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted May 12, 2020 - 10:49 PM

I have a neighbor across the street, who had yet to mow for the 1st time this year, came knocking on my door around noon, almost in tears, begging me to see if I'd come trudge my way thru their yard.... parts of the backyard,were between shin and knee high...among her whining almost crying/begging, she was saying what a "piece of junk" their mower was, and how  "its 15 years old anyways, they need to get a new one" to which I said that everything I have is 40+ years old... I did most of this jungle with my 129. 

Her response; "but you take care of your stuff"....  and the neighbor on the corner next to her, came over to me and tried to tell me that "I was gonna burn up my mower".... and asked me if Cub Cadets are a decent mower.... to which I had to say that, "well, back when they made this one back in 1972, they sure were".... 

I mowed it twice and did the trim and around the swing set and the ditches with a Lawn Boy that is almost 40 years old...…  makes a huge difference when the cut grass has a way to escape..... the side discharge definitely makes a difference vs a mulcher.... Its funny to watch them when they did mow with that "15 year old mower"... go 2 steps, start mower... 2 steps, start mower.... 3 steps, start mower... repeat.. and I didn't kill mine in their jungle,

even once. 

and last week the neighbor on the other side of the one I mowed today asked me who makes a decent mower these days to which I had to answer "Nobody".... as they mowed with a 25-ish year old mower that they got from me, like 5 years ago, but the daughter bought a house in town and needs a mower for there..... 

"THEY DON'T MAKE EM LIKE THEY USED TO" and that's a bloody shame/ 

Edited by dodge trucker, May 12, 2020 - 10:50 PM.

• KennyP, LilysDad, Leonard VanCamp and 2 others have said thanks

#35 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted May 13, 2020 - 08:21 AM

well got the vibrating throttle fixed.... (well in progress)  Looked on Pats small engine  who I have ordered from several times before, they have it for $23. but $7 shipping on a $23 part is a lil nuts. usually wait to order from them, til I have a big pile of parts I need.    Looked the PN up on Ebay and found one new in the box for $9 including shipping.... cant beat that. 

had the same problem with the Hahn when I got it last year, thought about adding a throttle cable but dont have any hanging around right now.... this way I won't have to/

looking at this Bobcat, while ol' Dave never said anything about having done any work on it, I think he has just gone thru it... looks like new blade, new starter rope, new plug and all new bolts for the handle,etc….    just said "he's trying to sell it for the guy since he didn't want to spend the money on new wheels"...  

I replaced those already and didn't have to buy them.... The neighbor gave me $50 for mowing the neighborhood jungle so it really didn't cost me anything but a couple hours time....  I wouldn't do it if they let it get this crazy high every time but if I asked I could probably get them to let me do it all summer... have not done that in several years..... but if they let me do it when I think it needs it, I could do it a lot cheaper each time... at least til their boys get tall enough to see over the mower's handle..... 

Edited by dodge trucker, May 13, 2020 - 08:22 AM.

#36 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted May 31, 2020 - 09:05 PM

Im set up for a while now but now my kid is trying to play the confiscate game again, you know, borrow eternally thing. So gotta find 1 more good old school heavy duty side discharge push mower,
Also have a neighbor across the street that just got a brand new self propelled smapper Walmart special, and was asking me a month ago about whether to get fwd or rwd, I said "either" for flat ground, or rwd for slopes/ and a friend talked her into the fwd. It was funny watching her struggle to push it out of the ditch with the front wheels spinning in the air, while she fought with it to get out of the ditch.

Edited by dodge trucker, May 31, 2020 - 09:06 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#37 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 16006 Thanks
  • 7353 posts

Posted June 01, 2020 - 05:45 AM

I haven't honestly looked into much of the new stuff but for a quality machine new I'd check into Toro brand mowers, you will have to get their upper level stuff for it to be decent though. I think everything is bagger equipped  though as thats what the modern day consumer is after.

Most of the mowers do not have a throttle control either and have the stupid EPA mandated auto choke system, which I why I like the old stuff.

Just Trash picked this mower last fall and had it running for under $30 :D

attachicon.gifpost-7-0-80621200-1478381048.jpg

I have 2 of these (one with electric start!) but I don't like the deck design as the grass gets hung up under the deck and clumps up..  They are heavy too with the drive & all.  One thing I do like is that the drive wheels are on the front which makes mowing to control more better..  I just got a side of the road mulch mower and bought a discharge chute for it as I'm not a mulch fan either..  (~$19)  Good luck on your quest as grass is growing like a banshee right now!

#38 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 17483 Thanks
  • 11533 posts

Posted June 01, 2020 - 08:22 AM

Does anyone save their old B&S carbs? I've seen some Briggs engines where they just took off the throttle cable and smashed the choke lever over so it doesn't work. It is pretty simple to swap on an older carb.

#39 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted June 01, 2020 - 04:43 PM

Over the years for some reason I ended up with far more Tecumseh's than Briggs, so never had many Briggs to save carbs from in the first place. But here lately every old engine I am getting is a Briggs. Which is ok, since old Briggs engines were, (and still are) definitely better than new honduh or predator.

#40 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted July 05, 2020 - 10:35 PM

well got the vibrating throttle fixed.... (well in progress)  Looked on Pats small engine  who I have ordered from several times before, they have it for $23. but $7 shipping on a $23 part is a lil nuts. usually wait to order from them, til I have a big pile of parts I need.    Looked the PN up on Ebay and found one new in the box for $9 including shipping.... cant beat that. 

had the same problem with the Hahn when I got it last year, thought about adding a throttle cable but dont have any hanging around right now.... this way I won't have to/

looking at this Bobcat, while ol' Dave never said anything about having done any work on it, I think he has just gone thru it... looks like new blade, new starter rope, new plug and all new bolts for the handle,etc….    just said "he's trying to sell it for the guy since he didn't want to spend the money on new wheels"...  

I replaced those already and didn't have to buy them.... The neighbor gave me $50 for mowing the neighborhood jungle so it really didn't cost me anything but a couple hours time....  I wouldn't do it if they let it get this crazy high every time but if I asked I could probably get them to let me do it all summer... have not done that in several years..... but if they let me do it when I think it needs it, I could do it a lot cheaper each time... at least til their boys get tall enough to see over the mower's handle..... 

well I got that new throttle control lever but haven't needed to put it on yet... a quick squeeze of the rivet that holds the swing lever to the bracket w/a pair of Vise grips and no vibrating down.....  see how long that lasts, if it doesn't last, I have the new one here. 

• KennyP said thank you

#41 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted July 05, 2020 - 10:37 PM

also just picked up an NOS short block for the Hahn for a too good of price to say no to"  the included Magnetron conversion kit for a Briggs 2 leg, points style coil costs more than half what I paid for the shole works. so this mower should be with me a while. 

• KennyP said thank you