• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2591 Thanks
  • 1301 posts

Posted December 08, 2016 - 01:09 PM

Just because ethanol don't put a $5 bill in your pocket every morning don't mean it is not a boost to the economy.  How about the workers at the plants?  The trucks to get the corn to the plant? The railroads to get the gas in to mix with ethanol and ship the finished product out?  The industries the produce the material to improve the roads around, to and from major highways around the plants and the material to build the sidings to get the product out?  Darn right it boosts the overall economy. .

This is known as "The Broken Window Fallacy".  Look it up.

A simple personal example:

When ethanol trashes someone's carburetor they bring the motorcycle to me to straighten it out.  That boosts MY economy.

The flip side of that is the money is no longer in customer's pocket to boost someone else's economy.  That's money that won't go to the corner restaurant, a new pair of shoes etc.  In a very real sense my customer and the other people he buys from have been hurt to boost my economy.

• Alc, Cvans and shorty have said thanks

#47 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 2129 Thanks
  • 2232 posts

Posted December 08, 2016 - 01:12 PM

Somewhere recently, I heard that only 10% of the corn raised in this country goes for food. So, the vast majority of corn goes to feed and all the other things made from corn.

That sounds about right, and it's not just feed and ethanol made from that corn, most people would be surprised how many everyday items contain corn.

• Cvans and Nato77 have said thanks

#48 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 1231 Thanks
  • 531 posts

Posted December 08, 2016 - 01:17 PM

This is known as "The Broken Window Fallacy".  Look it up.

A simple personal example:

When ethanol trashes someone's carburetor they bring the motorcycle to me to straighten it out.  That boosts MY economy.

The flip side of that is the money is no longer in customer's pocket to boost someone else's economy.  That's money that won't go to the corner restaurant, a new pair of shoes etc.  In a very real sense my customer and the other people he buys from have been hurt to boost my economy.

I like your explanation.  A person has X number of $ to work with.  What really helps the economy is when that person can buy goods not buy repair hours.  If I have to pay for parts or repairs I no longer have that $ to buy goods.

• Cvans, shorty and adamjd200 have said thanks

#49 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 9293 Thanks
  • 7187 posts

Posted December 08, 2016 - 01:46 PM

John Arsenault made an excellent post and I would like to thank him for posting it. It goes right along with what I've heard from the family Stihl dealers. The dealers and Carburetor kit manufacturers will love you if you let your fuel get stale. 

Second around here corn for ethanol is raised on the same ground as the corn that goes to the elevators. The farmer decides were and how much he's hauling to were. Might put a substantial amount in his own storage bins till the prices go up. Corn and soybeans are the two major crops around here. Soybeans on our land this year to be rotated to corn next year.  

Edited by Cvans, December 08, 2016 - 05:43 PM.

• earthgrinder and adamjd200 have said thanks

#50 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 2469 Thanks
  • 1561 posts

Posted December 08, 2016 - 05:16 PM

We've been Cornswaugaled !

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#51 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 627 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted December 08, 2016 - 09:46 PM

Every time I see a discussion on ethanol I have to think what some of my relatives that are farmers say. Ethanol is what saved corn before corn was used to produce ethanol the price of corn had gotten so low that most farmers that grew corn where looking for something else to grow as they would be able to survive growing corn that paid $3.00 a bushel when it is costing $4.00 a bushel to grow. That is a losing way to much money. Byproducts of making ethanol makes better cattle feed then the corn did before it was used to make ethanol because of digestion. The biggest use of corn that is a waste is using it to make corn starches & sweeteners. This is one of the products that is the biggest cause of obesity in this country.  

Charlie

• earthgrinder, Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#52 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 2129 Thanks
  • 2232 posts

Posted December 08, 2016 - 10:04 PM

Every time I see a discussion on ethanol I have to think what some of my relatives that are farmers say. Ethanol is what saved corn before corn was used to produce ethanol the price of corn had gotten so low that most farmers that grew corn where looking for something else to grow as they would be able to survive growing corn that paid $3.00 a bushel when it is costing $4.00 a bushel to grow. That is a losing way to much money. Byproducts of making ethanol makes better cattle feed then the corn did before it was used to make ethanol because of digestion. The biggest use of corn that is a waste is using it to make corn starches & sweeteners. This is one of the products that is the biggest cause of obesity in this country.  

Charlie

The only problem with this is corn is now back to those prices.

• earthgrinder said thank you

#53 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 17630 Thanks
  • 11580 posts

Posted December 09, 2016 - 08:05 AM

What are they going to do with wheat when people no longer want to eat bread?

#54 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 1231 Thanks
  • 531 posts

Posted December 09, 2016 - 09:34 AM

What and how our food industry is providing for us is a whole other story.  This thread was mainly about the high priced special fuel for lawn and garden equipment.  I learned much and have a little different opinion of that special fuel than I did.  I also look at the value of finding a local source of ethanol free gas differently.  Thanks to all who joined the discussion!

• Bolens 1000, Cvans and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#55 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 17630 Thanks
  • 11580 posts

Posted December 09, 2016 - 11:50 AM

Sorry for getting off track. One more post; during the campaign period of the election process, there were a number of advertising broadcasts espousing the people who would be happy if ethanol free gas came back. I'm not sure but I had a hunch that E0 gas was being considered. Are we in a legislative renewal period or some such thing.

• earthgrinder and Cvans have said thanks

#56 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 1231 Thanks
  • 531 posts

Posted December 09, 2016 - 02:55 PM

Sorry for getting off track. One more post; during the campaign period of the election process, there were a number of advertising broadcasts espousing the people who would be happy if ethanol free gas came back. I'm not sure but I had a hunch that E0 gas was being considered. Are we in a legislative renewal period or some such thing.

I wish, but being used worldwide I doubt it.  Thought I read somewhere England has E20.

Edited by earthgrinder, December 09, 2016 - 02:56 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ethanol, 2-cycle, 4 cycle, pre-mix