55 replies to this topic

#1 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 1231 Thanks
  • 531 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 07:37 PM

Personal observation:  I cannot believe people are being sold on paying $5 and up for a quart of ethanol free premix!  I just did this when purchasing a new leaf blower to get a 4 year warranty.  I have never to this point had a problem that I can blame of the E-10 gas!  For years I have been using a fuel stabilizer and Marvel Mystery Oil in my air cooled engine gas.  I have never seen any pitting or corrosion in the fuel system.  Today I was as much as told that the E-10 fuel was responsible for clogging the spark arrester in my new chain saw with less than 2 gallon of fuel ran through it and I used the recommended premium oil and grade of fuel recommended by the factory.  The technician recommended I buy the ethanol free premix - I don't think so.  Some insist on running premium fuel in air cooled engines.  I just do not buy it!  It seems like a lot of extra expense for no good reason.  Personally I think we are being sold something we do not need!  You are paying $20 and up per gallon of fuel.

Edited by earthgrinder, December 07, 2016 - 07:38 PM.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 17189 Thanks
  • 18752 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 07:50 PM

IMO They are not suckering you into "Snake oil"

If you are using the machines regularly then alot of the time the ethanol gas will be fine , if you only use these machines a few times a year then you will run into issues, ethanol will eventually damage your rubber and gaskets that are not intended for it, I have experienced this with our farmall cub that sits for 5 months at a time and several other mowers that sit. It turns into a jelly like / white crud substance, Fuel treatments help with this but are not a 100% solution.

I buy the VP tru fuel for all my restored tractors in a 5 gallon container.  For the amount I use them once a year $14 a gallon is a small price to pay to not have to worry about gumming up my carbs and destroying obsolete carb parts.

The daily drivers I run ethanol with stabilizer , then let the carbs run dry before I turn the motor off for the day and never had a problem, only when they sit you get issues, they key is to keep the gas going through the carbs regularly if your using ethanol.

• earthgrinder, grnspot110, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#3 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 1231 Thanks
  • 531 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I am interested in hearing what others have to say on this subject. 

• 1oldbuzz and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 17189 Thanks
  • 18752 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 08:07 PM

On another note, A good friend of mine who is a certified repair man for all the major lines who fixes these daily  uses the premix in his personal 2cycle equipment.

• earthgrinder, grnspot110, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 15384 Thanks
  • 8766 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 08:17 PM

I agree with earthginder 100% and disagree with Bolens 1000 75%.  Yes with ethanol run a stabilizer.  I never run the carbs dry on stored engines.  That is what dries the gaskets, seals, etc out and causes leaks.  Blaming ethanol on fuel problems is like finding a piece of rusty barb wire in a burned out building and saying the cause of the fire was faulty wiring.  Just my opinion.  Do what works for you.  If you have $14 a gallon to throw at fuel go for it but I sure as heck don't and won't.

• earthgrinder said thank you

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 4949 Thanks
  • 2843 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 08:17 PM

I'm with you, Chuck!

Even before ethanol came into play, gas would get stale, lose some of its volatility, and create gum/varnish over long periods of time.

Adding fuel stabilizer would delay problems from occurring.

I've seen ethanol-free premix for as high as $9 per quart = $36 per gallon.  ....Not gonna' happen for me !!!

Do the pre-mixes have a stabilizer in them ?

#7 Tomwendt OFFLINE  

Tomwendt
  • Member No: 27676
  • 145 Thanks
  • 156 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 08:18 PM

is ethanol free an option.here it is only 20 cents more a gallon.

• earthgrinder and Nato77 have said thanks

#8 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 1186 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 08:26 PM

Would never buy that expensive pre mix stuff.  I agree with others about ethanol not being too much of a problem when machine is used regularly. 

I stock up on ethanol free gas when I am going to an area that offers it (google it for a station in your area) add a little stabilizer to it & save it for the old machines not run so much.  If i have E-10 in anything that will sit, I run it out.

Speaking of ethanol, I have an 08 Chrysler, bought used, that is flex fuel capable.  I've tried some of the E-85 in it & it runs fine but the mileage drops dramatically & the power is off some.  Sure it's cheaper but not really.  Corn is for eating!

• earthgrinder and Alc have said thanks

#9 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 1186 Thanks
  • 713 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 08:29 PM

On another note, A good friend of mine who is a certified repair man for all the major lines who fixes these daily  uses the premix in his personal 2cycle equipment.

I think 2 cycle is a different story.

#10 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 2043 Thanks
  • 1215 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I have hard time believing that the e10 would clog the spark arrester as the technician said.   

• earthgrinder and Alc have said thanks

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 9293 Thanks
  • 7186 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 08:43 PM

My brother in-law and his son have been Sthil dealers since at least 1970. They have always preached that stale gas is one of there biggest problems. After ethanol came on the market it has become even more of an issue. My nephew say he can tell instantly when he opens a carburetor if the customer has been running ethanol. Remember we are talking Walbro type carburetors. Ethonal is a solvent that many materials cannot tolerate.   http://www.easychem....ol-as-a-solvent

It attracts water like a sponge http://www.fuel-test...thanol_gas.html Pay close attention to the shelf life.

If that dosen't scare you then go ahead and use it.

I run it in my vehicles a couple of times a year to remove moisture and it seems to do a good job of that. 

Edited by Cvans, December 07, 2016 - 08:43 PM.

• Bolens 1000, earthgrinder, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#12 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 1231 Thanks
  • 531 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 09:00 PM

is ethanol free an option.here it is only 20 cents more a gallon.

If you can get it in your area.  I don't understand why we still have E-10.  Almost everyone admits it does not help the environment, results in less fuel economy, and raised the price of food!

• Bolens 1000, Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#13 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 1231 Thanks
  • 531 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 09:03 PM

I have hard time believing that the e10 would clog the spark arrester as the technician said.   

I wholeheartedly agree.  The Stihl rep that I emailed had a more believable reason.  He said I may have left it idle and I know I did while moving wood and limbs around.  Now I shut if off every time as it restarts easy.

• Cvans said thank you

#14 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 6031 Thanks
  • 5505 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 09:23 PM

Some time back I was at a show where a salesman was trying to persuade me to switch to the pure stuff. After visiting a bit and telling him how much gas I use, he said I don't need to worry. My son got a test kit to check all our gas tanks. Of course, me being a skeptic, figured that the test was rigged to show that we need to use their additives. After a half year of checking, not one gas tank showed that we needed to treat it. We still have the additives that I should use sometime.
  • earthgrinder and chieffan have said thanks

#15 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 15384 Thanks
  • 8766 posts

Posted December 07, 2016 - 09:49 PM

If you can get it in your area.  I don't understand why we still have E-10.  Almost everyone admits it does not help the environment, results in less fuel economy, and raised the price of food!

Comparing apples to oranges.  How do you figure that ethanol raised the price of food?  Mainly white corn is used for food products, yellow corn is used to make ethanol.  What little yellow corn is used for corn meal, etc. is not worth mentioning.  Field corn (yellow) is a $3.02 a bushel and that raised the price of food ? ? ?  Ethanol was never intended to improve the environment.  It was intended to make fuel go further and it does.  Also is a big boost to the economy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ethanol, 2-cycle, 4 cycle, pre-mix