• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted July 14, 2019 - 09:06 PM

This mower doesn't have a guard over top of the belt, just wrapped around the sides. The spring on the lower end of the drive cable looks cobbled, the belt does get bunched up on the back pulley. (Driven one)
Besides that, I used this mower on my yard today for the 1st time and I really like it alot. I can leave the operator position and the engine still runs, it really throws the clippings a couple of rows from the end of the chute so it won't clog and the self propel mechanism isn't too fast or slow but it climbs my ditch banks like a mountain goat. If I could find a 2nd one like it I would. Why can't anybody build them this way any more? I know it probably wouldn't be cheap but would be worth it.

#17 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted April 13, 2020 - 01:07 PM

I played with this mower a bit over the winter, the spring mentioned in the above post WAS cobbled. the answer was stupid easy.... lengthen the cable, and the link on the end of the cable goes on the actuator itself rather than the 3 spring setup the PO had on it..... just 1 spring on the forward side needed, not the 2 towards the back that it came to me with.... 

I went to change oil and had to tip mower towards the chute side and drain thru the dipstick tube to drain it as the drain plug under the engine isn't accessible without unbolting the engine from the deck.... gonna have to get some pipe elbows, and a long nipple to bring oil drain out where I can get at it.... I checked oil before I drained it (almost full) and I somehow only got maybe 4 oz out of it, thru that tube...… oil was NASTY.....   

#18 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted June 26, 2020 - 06:19 PM

I need one of those "black plastic levers for the drive clutch" if anyone has a clue as to where I can get one

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 17481 Thanks
  • 11533 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 06:43 AM

I remember back when mowers had those shallow decks, Toro and others had them as well. Maybe mulching mowers did away with them?

I miss those old 3 1/2hp Briggs before the guv'mint got their nose in the mower bidness.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#20 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted June 27, 2020 - 08:49 AM

yeah all the old engines.... I had the best service it seems out of the Tecumseh LAV series for mower service, but the Briggs from back then were definitely still  leaps and bounds better than what is currently available. right now I have a late 70s Lawn boy but the rest are Briggs. a 130000 series ("big block" 5hp) on the Bob cat, 92000 Briggs on the Hahn and 100000 series (4hp) on my Deere.   I hate the current poor excuses for mowers. No wonder they say less people are doing their own and are hiring out lawn maintenance, as the bigger heavier commercial machines are more like what "used to be" available, and most have no idea where they can buy a decent machine tehse days and have no clue how to revive an oldie but goodie..... 

#21 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 3745 Thanks
  • 4426 posts

Posted July 05, 2020 - 10:30 PM

I need one of those "black plastic levers for the drive clutch" if anyone has a clue as to where I can get one

thanks to Bruce Dorsi sending me the parts breakdown and the conversion to Gravely PNs I found this lever on Ebay…. shipping is a whole $2 more than the part cost.... goofy. Id take another just to have if I could find one.   and another whole machine like this if someone has one... 

• Bruce Dorsi and KennyP have said thanks