Garden Tractor Forums banner

Power King restoration near completion!

6K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Bigdaddypowerking 
#1 ·
Hello GTTalk! This is my first post, having joined the forums today, and I'd like to share my restoration with you guys. I first purchased this 1973 Powerking 1614 Economy tractor with hydrolics for 350$ on December 14th, 2014, and since then I've done a fame off restoration on it. With school and all it has taken me a while to give the tractor the love and care it needs from sitting in a barn left for years and being 42 years old. I haven't found too much online about these tractors, so that gives me the idea that they're sort of rare? After doing many hours of research I found that they went out of business a while back. I've had so many great times during the restoration but the best is still to come! When I mouth it the piston was cracked in two so I bought a new one and did a complete overhaul on the 14hp Kohler K321S engine, so I haven't completed the wiring to crank it yet. The restoration is nearly complete and I would like to thank everybody on the forums for the help they've provided to me! I will keep you guys updated on how the tractor is when I have it 100% complete, and here's some before and after pictures, cause who doesn't like those?????

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
You're doing a nice job. It's refreshing to see someone using an actual original paint scheme and not going off in different directions. Not that there's anything wrong with "making it your own" but so few try to bring them back to the way they looked from the factory, it's just nice to see. If you are near Fayetteville, I know a guy who could really be of some help to you but you don't really look like you need it.

#10 ·
Welcome to GTT. Very nice job. If you need manuals check our Manuals Section. Do you have any shows coming up in your area? That will be admired. Good Luck, Rick[/quote]

Reply: Thank you so much, I've been looking for my year model for a while and have no luck until your suggestion

#11 ·
Pharmer and David, The paint I got for my tractor is Tisco TP140SP Flambeau red Industrial Enamel paint, and it is the exact correct paint that the tractor left the factory in Waukesha Wisconsin in 1973. I made the tractor as correct as possible down to the decals. The paint isn't the easiest to find, but eBay is a good place to find it, and I hope to find a show soon, because I'd like to show its uniqueness off a bityes I'm near Fayetteville and I'm always up for netting new people with strong interest in tractors and mechanical things like me

#12 ·
Welcome to GTT. Very nice job. If you need manuals check our Manuals Section. Do you have any shows coming up in your area? That will be admired. Good Luck, Rick
Reply: Thank you so much, I've been looking for my year model for a while and have no luck until your suggestion

[/QUOTE]

If you are looking to verify the year of manufacture, post the serial number that is right between the headlights. If it is a 1973, then the model of tractor is simply Power King if you want to be that accurate.

#13 ·
If you are looking to verify the year of manufacture, post the serial number that is right between the headlights. If it is a 1973, then the model of tractor is simply Power King if you want to be that accurate.
My serial number is 28187 and I looked it up on the chart and I believe it was made around September of that year, I'm aware of the company ditching economy because they thought it sounded cheap, but I don't know exactly when they did that

#14 ·
My serial number is 28187 and I looked it up on the chart and I believe it was made around September of that year, I'm aware of the company ditching economy because they thought it sounded cheap, but I don't know exactly when they did that
Yeah that's a little fuzzy but it happened in the latter half of the 70's. This company didn't just pull the trigger and change things. They were gradual about it so as to use up old stock. Take your 73 for instance. You may find one out there that was made after yours but has the older sheet metal. It's just the way they did things. I also have a 73 that I have been working on but you are making far more progress than I.

#15 ·
Yeah that's a little fuzzy but it happened in the latter half of the 70's. This company didn't just pull the trigger and change things. They were gradual about it so as to use up old stock. Take your 73 for instance. You may find one out there that was made after yours but has the older sheet metal. It's just the way they did things. I also have a 73 that I have been working on but you are making far more progress than I.
I'd love to see some pictures of your 1973 powerking if you dont mind. I know, from what i understand the powerking company has never been very good at record keeping or anything of that nature.

#16 ·
I'd love to see some pictures of your 1973 powerking if you dont mind. I know, from what i understand the powerking company has never been very good at record keeping or anything of that nature.
The only pics I have are of when I dragged it home. It's been in pieces for the last two years as I haven't had a lot of time to even look at it. Nothing special.

Wheel Plant Automotive tire Tree Motor vehicle
Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Tractor

Attachments

#19 ·
That is a sharp looking tractor (not yours DB )!

1978 was the first year for the number designation.

You will have better suspension if you turn your seat spring in the other direction.
Thanks! I think I will do that with the seat I was debating which way to put it.

The only pics I have are of when I dragged it home. It's been in pieces for the last two years as I haven't had a lot of time to even look at it. Nothing special.

attachicon.gif
73 PK 1.JPG
attachicon.gif
73 PK 2.JPG
attachicon.gif
73 PK 3.JPG
attachicon.gif
73 PK 4.JPG
Looks like your tractor has a lot of potential to it, my tractor doesn't have the black number on it like yours does and I don't know why do you? Also, is yours a 1614 too?

#22 ·
I meant *black bumper. Mine doesn't have that bumper and I've seen a lot of those on the 1614''s
Oh, that makes sense now. Your should have that black bumper. I just figured you didn't have it on yet. Shouldn't be too difficult to find one.

#28 ·
Oh, that makes sense now. Your should have that black bumper. I just figured you didn't have it on yet. Shouldn't be too difficult to find one.[/quote

mine didn't come with a black bumper for some reason, but I kinda like it without the bumper. I've seen others without the bumper, I guess it's up to personal opinion about how it looks and respect for taking care of your dad! I'm doing my tractor while I don't have as much responsibility when I get older and it has still taken me a long while!
Truth be told, the bumpers don't do all that much. You really can't hang weights on them (although there are folks who try) and the hood hits long before the bumper arrives on the scene as evidenced by some very crinkled hoods that I've seen. I just think they finish the look.

#24 ·
If you'd quit 'Decking' around..
Ha, ha. For your information, I just finished the last of the large jobs that I have been working on over the course of three years. Just last week in fact. I'm back to a normal work day doing normal work. Quite frankly, I feel as though I am retired. Now I have three projects facing me and I have to decide which one to tackle first. Still don't have a lot of time until things with my dad calms down a bit. While he is healing I've been taking care of his place. Last Saturday I trimmed all of his hedges, did the weed whacking and sprayed round up (to reduce the weed whacking next time) and cleaned the gutters. Combine that with mowing my place, spraying Round Up there and tilling the entire garden, I had 12 hours of fun. I haven't put in a day like that is a long time but at least it's all done. You know what it's like right now, you gotta do it before it rains again!

#25 ·
Ha, ha. For your information, I just finished the last of the large jobs that I have been working on over the course of three years. Just last week in fact. I'm back to a normal work day doing normal work. Quite frankly, I feel as though I am retired. Now I have three projects facing me and I have to decide which one to tackle first. Still don't have a lot of time until things with my dad calms down a bit. While he is healing I've been taking care of his place. Last Saturday I trimmed all of his hedges, did the weed whacking and sprayed round up (to reduce the weed whacking next time) and cleaned the gutters. Combine that with mowing my place, spraying Round Up there and tilling the entire garden, I had 12 hours of fun. I haven't put in a day like that is a long time but at least it's all done. You know what it's like right now, you gotta do it before it rains again!
Not a lot of people respect and take care of their parents these days so kudos to you for doing so.

#26 ·
Not a lot of people respect and take care of their parents these days so kudos to you for doing so.
Hey. he's my dad and the only parent either one of us have left. I can't possibly repay him for all he's done for me but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try. That's a no-brainer for me. We're trying to get him to move in with us until he gets strong enough to go home (he turns 91 next month). He doesn't want to live with us. Can't say I blame him. I would leave too if I didn't follow myself out the door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.