• Please log in to reply
675 replies to this topic

#661 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4988 Thanks
  • 2911 posts

Posted December 07, 2020 - 04:59 PM

Egg salad. Four hard boiled eggs mashed, two tablespoons mayo, two teaspoons Tabasco, two cups home made sauerkraut, Feeds two.

Don

• KennyP, FrozenInTime, Vrdaddy and 2 others have said thanks

#662 afarmboy OFFLINE  

afarmboy
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 92774
  • 1308 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted December 07, 2020 - 08:26 PM

One of my roosters figured he was bigger/tougher than me yesterday and made that fatal move.... I cut off his head and tonight will dine on fresh chicken. Haven't decided what form it will take but I'm considering roasting just the two back sections and serving them with whipped potatoes, candied carrots and some cole slaw.  He was a BIG rooster, weighed 12lbs. dressed so I butchered him out much like I would a beef or deer, and wrapped the pieces separately, one leg, one thigh, one wing, one side of breast meat to each package. The rib cage, breast bone etc. are simmering away on the stove to make soup. The other side of breast meat I sliced into 3/4" cutlets and wrapped them individually. That made five nice big juicy cutlets and the scraps went into the soup pot. The heart, liver and gizzard made another nice bag full for the freezer as well. All in all I figure that one attitudinal rooster will make me at least 18 nice meals.

Our roosters always waited to be mean until they were about 6 years old... by then they were so tough they weren't worth eating. 

• oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#663 BradMcGuire OFFLINE  

BradMcGuire
  • Member No: 101952
  • 6 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 17, 2020 - 03:49 AM

Nothing at all. Same old story after divorcing :shoot2:

• oldedeeres, afarmboy and Ontario Firewood Resource have said thanks

#664 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 15860 Thanks
  • 6923 posts

Posted December 17, 2020 - 11:25 AM

Sad story Brad,   :boo_hoo: .  I wish you luck, and keep watching this topic, lots of us are alone  (by accident or design) and share good recipes or ideas.

• KennyP, 29 Chev, Vrdaddy and 3 others have said thanks

#665 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 15860 Thanks
  • 6923 posts

Posted December 23, 2020 - 12:54 PM

I made the Saturnalia Feast on the 21st.  About a month ago my #1 son brought me an eight pound strip loin beef roast in preparation for the holidays. On the 20th. I took it out of the freezer and thawed it, coated it with a thick layer of crushed fresh garlic, and put it back in the fridge to think things over until morning. Into the roaster for about an hour, just to the rare stage, then out for a rest. Just before supper I stuck it back in the oven under the broiler until the garlic was crispy, the fat bubbled up through the golden layer of garlic and everything was heated through. Accompanied by Yorkshire pudding, brown gravy, whipped potatoes, candied carrots, dill pickles, sweet pickled red onions and peas, the medium rare roast was delicious. Dessert was fresh baked sweet biscuits covered in my home grown strawberries and whipped cream. Due to Covid my company was limited to son and grandson plus one friend (who also lives alone and therefore qualifies to be here under the isolation rules here) .   For me, another year is over and the cycle begins again with the return of the sun.

• KennyP, 29 Chev, Vrdaddy and 2 others have said thanks

#666 afarmboy OFFLINE  

afarmboy
  • GTt Junior
  • 1308 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted January 01, 2021 - 09:55 PM

Had chicken thighs tonight. You bake them with sweet and regular potatoes, onions, and bacon all on a platter. All the juices mix for a delightful composition of tastes. Add a little rosemary on top and it ads a ton of flavor. And despite what my family thinks, the chicken skin is the best part!!!! 

• oldedeeres, Vrdaddy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#667 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 15860 Thanks
  • 6923 posts

Posted January 05, 2021 - 09:14 PM

I'm with you on that!! Chicken without the skin may as well be cardboard. I layer the veggies in a casserole, set the chicken, skin side up on top, sprinkle the spices on top of that and bake. The juices and fat from the chicken trickle down through the veg. and it is DELICIOUS!  That is what is in the oven right now for my supper.

• Vrdaddy, afarmboy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#668 afarmboy OFFLINE  

afarmboy
  • GTt Junior
  • 1308 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted January 05, 2021 - 10:17 PM

I'm with you on that!! Chicken without the skin may as well be cardboard. I layer the veggies in a casserole, set the chicken, skin side up on top, sprinkle the spices on top of that and bake. The juices and fat from the chicken trickle down through the veg. and it is DELICIOUS!  That is what is in the oven right now for my supper.

Definitely! When the skin is up it makes sure it turns into a nice golden brown with a slight crisp when it is done. Good choice for supper! 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#669 Ontario Firewood Resource OFFLINE  

Ontario Firewood Resource
  • Member No: 102662
  • 77 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted March 01, 2021 - 07:51 PM

Yum!

• afarmboy said thank you

#670 Ontario Firewood Resource OFFLINE  

Ontario Firewood Resource
  • Member No: 102662
  • 77 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted March 03, 2021 - 09:34 PM

Intentionally had leftovers...

• afarmboy said thank you

#671 Dee ONLINE  

Dee

• Member No: 1853
  • 570 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 04, 2021 - 11:23 PM

Tonight, I had homemade pizza with a  tossed salad.

• oldedeeres, Vrdaddy, afarmboy and 2 others have said thanks

#672 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 15860 Thanks
  • 6923 posts

Posted March 07, 2021 - 06:54 PM

It was such a beautiful day today I went out on the hard water and caught my supper. A nice 3 lb. walleye obliged me so I'll be having her for supper, crispy fried in butter with the usual side of fresh fried potatoes and onions, a few dill pickles and a mug of tea.

• Dee, KennyP, FrozenInTime and 3 others have said thanks

#673 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 764 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted March 10, 2021 - 08:26 PM

Was a warm 26f degrees out this afternoon so I grilled out some hotdogs.  Wife warmed up some baked beans.  Can't wait until it warms up for some grilled steaks!

• Dee, Vrdaddy, afarmboy and 1 other said thanks

#674 Dee ONLINE  

Dee

• Member No: 1853
  • 570 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 15, 2021 - 01:11 AM

Kung Pao Chicken over brown rice with a side salad.

• afarmboy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#675 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 764 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted March 15, 2021 - 05:24 PM

Our roosters always waited to be mean until they were about 6 years old... by then they were so tough they weren't worth eating. 

I put my tough old hens/roosters in a crockpot for 6 hours, meat is tender/falls off the bones.  We have chicken burritos or chicken dumplings for many meals as there's just 2 of us.  I have one just over a year old.... sucker went at me last week.  He will be soup soon, picked up his replacement cockerel Sunday.

• Dee, Vrdaddy, afarmboy and 1 other said thanks