• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 47624 Thanks
  • 51061 posts

Posted March 28, 2019 - 06:35 AM

When I was just a tyke, chicken fried meant pan fried and it made the most delicious gravy.  Nowadays, it is deep fried and it lacks something for me.

Chicken fried steak and fresh fried potatoes would be my final meal.

It was pan fried!

• Dee, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#632 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 13287 Thanks
  • 6252 posts

Posted March 31, 2019 - 12:09 PM

I've been spending some time out on the hard water lately, and the "fishing Gods" have smiled.  Tonight will be fresh caught Splake, baked with lemonbutter, potatoes and onions pan fried together in butter, coleslaw, and hot tea. Won't be needing dessert.  If there is any fish left over I'll be making trout salad sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.

• Dee, KennyP, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#633 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 13287 Thanks
  • 6252 posts

Posted September 19, 2019 - 11:06 AM

Garden harvest is upon us and the days are getting short, so I made a quick pan-scramble for supper ( 9:00p.m.) last night.  Chopped up and fried several strips of bacon, added sliced onion and new baby potatoes and cooked until the spuds were just browning nicely. Slid the whole mess onto a plate with ripe sliced garden tomatoes and called it done!

• KennyP, chieffan and 29 Chev have said thanks

#634 StefC ONLINE  

StefC
  • Member No: 59856
  • 138 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted November 16, 2019 - 03:26 PM

74df7da157b198c63b6da2cdfbe9b130.jpg
What we call ‘braai brooitjie’ bread, cheese, union, tomato, chutney sauce, over hardwood coals, with steak and ‘boere wors’ (farmers sausage).

South Africa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • KennyP, oldedeeres and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#635 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 47624 Thanks
  • 51061 posts

Posted November 28, 2019 - 06:17 PM

Just finished off our dinner. I baked a 3 lb. turkey breast in our countertop convection oven. I'm impressed! That was the most tender and moist white meat I have eaten. I sliced off slabs about 3/8"+ and you could cut that with a fork. Steve was in charge of the Rhodes Frozen Rolls, think he did a great job on them!

DSCN4958.JPG   DSCN4959.JPG

• Dee, oldedeeres and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#636 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• Member No: 1853
  • 275 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted December 06, 2019 - 03:20 AM

Sausage sandwiches were on the dinner menu tonight.

Made with spicy Italian sausage on BallPark buns.  Topped with provolone cheese, garlic spaghetti sauce, pepperoncini peppers and sliced black olives.

Tossed green salad and sweet potato fries on the side

• oldedeeres, Vrdaddy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#637 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 13287 Thanks
  • 6252 posts

Posted December 07, 2019 - 02:34 PM

Our "No Frills" grocery store had boneless pork loin roasts on sale for $1.77/lb. so I picked up a couple. Cut one up into 12 pork chops, worked out to less than a dollar each, and did the other one up for roast pork supper for six guests and myself yesterday.  Crushed up two whole heads of garlic, added oregano, mixed Greek spices and a splash of vinigar to a plastic bag and marinated the roast in that overnight. Slow roasted the meat yesterday and then gave it a quick shot under the broiler to make it brown and crispy on top. Rested it on a big bed of rice and served it with a huge Greek salad, Romaine lettuce, cucumbers, sliced red onions, black olives, grape tomatoes and Feta cheese drizzled over with lemon juice and Greek salad dressing. Fresh homemade buns and a side dish of sliced raw onion in sweet brine followed by coffee and homemade lemon slice rounded out the meal.  Simple but filling, and the house smelled wonderful when my guests came in out of the cold winter air.  

• Dee, KennyP, Vrdaddy and 1 other said thanks

#638 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 3945 Thanks
  • 2486 posts

Posted January 15, 2020 - 06:12 PM

4 boiled eggs, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, teaspoon black pepper, 2 tablespoons mayo, 1 cup home made sauerkraut . Mashed up the eggs with a potato masher and mixed it all together. quick and so easy even I can do it.   Don

• Dee, oldedeeres and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#639 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 13287 Thanks
  • 6252 posts

Posted January 28, 2020 - 11:42 AM

Yesterday I bit the bullet and made roast beef ( beef prices are beyond belief here, even the poorest cuts on sale will run around $$8.00/lb.) I crushed some of that great garden garlic and rolled the roast in it early in the morning and then let the meat sit until late afternoon when I popped it in the oven. Made a pan of mixed root veggies, potatoes, carrots, onion, beets, (added some Brussels Sprouts just at the end) and shook them up in a light coating of melted butter. When the meat was almost rare I took it out and let it rest until the veg. were done, then browned it quick under the broiler until the garlic sizzled and the fat popped. The meat juice ran pink, the veggies were tender and flavourful....life is good.  And I'll have left overs for a day or two as well. 

• Dee, KennyP, secondtry and 1 other said thanks

#640 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 14486 Thanks
  • 8488 posts

Posted February 04, 2020 - 10:49 AM

Last nights supper was left over pan BBQ'd chicken wings, baked beans and a slice of home made bread.

• oldedeeres and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks

#641 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 13287 Thanks
  • 6252 posts

Posted February 22, 2020 - 11:50 AM

Last night we had our local community potluck and games night. On the menu were appetizers of water chestnuts wrapped in bacon,  garlic beef stirfry with onions,celery, red, yellow and orange peppers, cauliflower and broccoli,  fluffy white rice,  BBQ ribs,  Hawian meat balls with pineapple, home made deer sausage pizza, four different salads, home made buns, and dessert of angel food cake and strawberries with whipped cream.  Yummee.

• Vrdaddy and IHCubCadet147 have said thanks