Garden Tractor Forums banner

Price & Interest in DB's Up

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  wrbourget 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I knew that the DB's as well as all Walk Behind Tractors were making a comeback, with more guys learning about them & getting into using them and Home Gardening definitely making a comeback too, with the price of food going up But the prices of the DB's are starting to get quite high too. I have 6 DB walk Behinds that i picked up over the years for between $50 and $200 the high end being only because they were complete With Implements. Average price now I see in my area of NYS anyway, is between $150 and $400, just for the tractor, Running or not , More if it has the Original DB Hood, which has become the hardest Part to Find. Supply & Demand: Check out this Ebay Listing for a HOOD ONLY in Poor Shape! Click on the thumbnail pic for whole listing info.

Please wait
Image not available

DAVID BRADLEY WALK BEHIND TRACTOR HOOD

Item condition:UsedEnded:Feb 03, 201117:02:06 PSTWinning bid:US $153.51 [ 14 bids ]
:

)

See less See more
#2 ·
The prices are going up on all of them. We really would like to get one or two walk behinds. I would like to get a David Bradley walk behind and dad wants to get a Bolens walk behind. I really enjoy seeing the hobby growing but it does make for the prices to go up which is the downside. I just wish the prices for complete machines would get to be equal to what they would sell for parted out.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have one I'm trying to sell my asking price is $800 I figured that was a good price because it is unmolested it's original and when i say original I don't think a nut or bolt was changed or taken off this one. It runs perfect works great one of the better machines I have used to do chores around the yard with I was impressed with the performance all around handy machine not just a show piece. It comes with a sickle bar mower, reel mower, dozer blade, bottom plow, wheel harrow, and a gnarly saw, that i know is worth more than the tractor its self because i have a lot of guys wanting it and i was offered From $200 and the best offer to date is $400. Just for the saw. I did the math $400 for the saw and $400 for the Tractor its self and five other attachments that's like $67 for each piece, is a good deal so i thought but I got no one even interested.
So what sis a good asking price for what i have as a package or should i sell the saw and the rest separate?

#3 ·
NUTNDUN said:
The prices are going up on all of them. We really would like to get one or two walk behinds. I would like to get a David Bradley walk behind and dad wants to get a Bolens walk behind. I really enjoy seeing the hobby growing but it does make for the prices to go up which is the downside. I just wish the prices for complete machines would get to be equal to what they would sell for parted out.
Absolutely....That's why i found this Ad to be Shocking ...but with the DB Hood, i can kinda understand, seems that, from what I've heard from Old Timers who owned & used them "In their day" It was common practice to take the hood off when working it and if the tractor was repowered, the hood often didn't fit, and so, off if came , as a result of these action, the hoods often simply got discarded , lost or worst, ended up on the Scrap Metal Pile! ....Now they are harder to find than the Tractor Themselves!

#6 ·
Must be more of a regional thing, as price like that arent found here. You can still find a lot of DB tractors for 25 to 30 bucks. Most have the tires shot, missing the correct engine and other bits or pieces. I should load up all my extras and ship them out east for the gold rush. I have more walk-behind than i probally will get restored, but they are fun to just look at, so they mostly stay here.

We went though this high priced thing a few years back, when everyone thought a cart or sulky was worth $500 or more. A very few guys cashed in on that, and then the market went bust. There are a millon vators, front blades, plows, and sickel mower unit just lying around the country and most of them arent worth the shipping costs to get them home. Items like sulkys, carts and saws, are ussally a good buy in the $300 range, but have to be perfect(zero missing , damaged parts) to be worth much more than that. Harrow packers, rollers, reels, and snowblowers seem to hold out $100 pretty well. Things like weights, special vator tooling , reverser setups and slow speeds mostly run $30 to 50 each.

Tractor are the hardest ones to price out with out seeing it up close.Unrestored, 51's thu 560's aren't worth a lot more than scrap price as they make up the bulk of the models. Tractors with out the hoods, ie specials, big 5's, ones with contential engine, wisconsin engine, gold/bronze models are worth far more, mostly because there are fewer of them. Tractors that have factory reversers or slow speed setups command better price than the more common stuff.

I believe at the end its going to biol down to how bad or how much some one else wants the machine, thats what sets the price, but then its only for that deal, not the entire line.

#7 ·
We had a 5112 posted on CL here last year for $225, it came with an "attachment". My owner had no idea what she had, she said the motor hadn't run for years. This was a nice tractor in its day, but without knowing how complete it was, I offered $100 for it. The 5112 came a Wisconsin engine, reverse, speed changer, and differential w/lockout. I didn't know if the motor was stuck or not, or if everything was even there. The tires were shot, and she didn't know what the attachment was. When I had made my offer, she told me that the attachment was worth what I was offering. Well that's true, but she didn't know what it was or if was ready to use. I think it was a plow. I told her it would cost over $200 just to put tires on it. She wouldn't sell it for that. I see running DB's here for $100. My 56 with sickle bar I got for free, and my 560 with plow, disc, and cultivator I gave $50, neither one had motors.I bought 6X16 tires for about $200, gave $75 for the motor and related parts, counting sandblasting, paint and other repair work I spent maybe another $250. I still have to buy tires and a motor for the 56 and finish it. I plan to put knobby tires on it, and probably a B&S Model N on it, I can't afford an AU7 Contintail motor for it.

Maybe prices around here are just lower, but I won't gave a bunch of money for any tractor.

#10 ·
Amigatec this was on for a month but still might give you an idea of loading all your stuff to the east coast , Al

http://southjersey.c...2921188087.html
This is what I'm talking about $200 for what looks like a plow and harrows the rest is just a few parts, I collect garden tractors rare and unusual stuff nothing no one has and i was offered this didn't really want it but i liked the saw and thought i could make a few bucks off of it. The Idea of selling just the saw then sell the rest might be a good idea but once the saw is gone how many are going to want the rest? I have a "1960" Cub Cadet I have to bolt it down and hide it because some collectors go out of there way to try and figure out where it is and drive me nuts with wanting to buy it i never seen how hi i could go with that one but I'm sure some will go for broke. I don't know I tried putting the D.B. up for BRO and the only responses i got were for the saw no one even cared about the rest, now i got a guy who claims to have some sort of wagon that goes to a super power he will trade for the saw? I guess i should trade the cart and keep the rest and use it around the farm?

#9 ·
To me it isn't worth that much, I can't tell what model it was. Looks like a 560, it does have the ball lock clutch.. No hood or gastank, no reverse or speed changer, from the looks of it, it was a hooded tractor, besides the disc has had the drawbar welded on upside down, and the angle at the top is bent. I would offer $50 tops.

#11 ·
I am looking a hauling cart for mine. I guess I'm just cheap. I don't mind paying a fair price for something, but in order to fix this up, I would have quite a bit more in it than it's worth. I would have to put several hundred into to fix it up.

When I bought my CC129 I didn't know what I was looking at, and got ripped off. I have way more in it than what is worth.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's the whole thing I don't know what it's worth and the the only honest answer i get is we don't know what it's worth I guess it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So how is that 129 i need a mule drive for the one i got and I can't seem to find the belt that goes from the engine to the 90 degree pulley for the tiller it's a 1/2 x 146 inch belt. http://southcoast.craigslist.org/grd/2989734497.html

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
What are the model numbers on the DB stuff? Heck I would interested in the reel mower, but I don't want to pay for shipping. There are a couple of different Super 3 tractors. Iit looks like a 571 model built in 1954, it should have the AU85 Contentail motor. It has the one piece frame, it is painted red with green wheels and it does have the speed changer and probably the reverse, so it is worth more. Some pictures would help.

Reactions: wrbourget
#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I never looked at any of the numbers but it has the briggs engine.
I just looked at my email and a guy buy me who has a brush hog front loader i want just emailed me wondering what I had in mind for a price, he is kind of a jerk about the brush hog and he ended up telling me it was sold. It's my feeling he didn't sell it, i hope he didn't sell it and here is my chance to get it if he still has it, i told him $950 the exact price he wanted for the loader.

#15 ·
After looking at the pictures again, it doesn't have the speed changer, it looks more like a 560 Super Power. You said it has a Briggs motor, I found the thread were you posted a picture of the motor, it looks like either Model N, 6, or a early 8.

Without numbers it's harder to gave a value on it. There were at least two different 6" plows and one 8" plow, there also several different discs for it.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I really didn't want it but the guy twisted my arm to buy it, he was going to take it to the scrap yard and that would have been the end of it for ever I'll take a few minutes to get the numbers look them up and see what it all means, I couldn't believe it when it ran Then when i let the clutch handle go and it took off and dragged me down the hill i was just amazed.
One guy who claims to know the history on the machine told me the guy who owned it bought it new put it away and never used it and eventually it got put outside and forgotten till the man died. I kind of believe that story because all the fluids were clear the carb looked like brand spanking new inside the plug looked brand new on the inside the whole thing looks like it has never been used. Nothing shows any signs of wear the bottom plow,harrows, dozer blade have no ware at all even the saw blade is razor sharp, it looks like a nut bolt or screw have never been touched, Even the gas tank is good on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.