Garden Tractor Forums banner

Massey 12G

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  DH1 
#1 ·
I bought a Massey 12G. Got it home and discovered that the rear is locked up and in need of the brake pulley that the band tightens around. May also need other parts when I get it apart. Anyone out there that can help now and later would be appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
There is a good chance that the shift rods inside are mis-aligned. On the pulley, I have an axle that I could spare that pulley off if you do not end up needing an entire axle. See what is wrong internal and go from there.

#5 ·
If you didn't find it already, the manual for that transaxle is in the manual section on this site. Its under Tecumseh/Peerless transaxles,transmissions,differentials and drives. The 12G has the 2300 series transaxle. If its locked up it may be be in two gears at once, causing it to bind. There are 2 detent balls and springs that keep the shifting forks in the position (gear) selected. If theres a weak spring or a ball stuck down it can allow a shift fork to move and lock up the trans. I've seen this happen to a mf10, mf12 , jd110 and jd212. If you have it apart I would suggest replacing the detent balls and springs and the axle seals. You can get them from napa and they're fairly cheap. I don't have part#'s handy but I, or another member can get them for you if you need them, let us know. I may also have a good used brake band but I tend to horde mf10&12 parts. If you cant find one I can probably help you out. The 12G is a great tractor and well worth bringing back to life. Good luck.

#8 ·
I gotta put new detents and springs on my Massey MF12G also. I keep putting it off though. Mine is almost impossible to keep in second gear let alone trying to find second LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.