Garden Tractor Forums banner

New Mf12G Owner

32K views 208 replies 25 participants last post by  cheluIS 
#1 ·
Hello !
I am a new forum member and a proud owner of a MF12G.
This is my first tractor so I don't know much about this machine.
I have 2 questions , maybe somebody can help me .
-the engine is running with unleaded gasoline ? Becouse I cannot find here (Romania , Europe) gasoline with lead .
-in the dash panel (first pic.) I have a red light and a hole and I don't know what are these for .Maybe somebody can post a picture of the dash panel of this model.

Thank you .

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
:welcome: to GTTalk

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself and your new tractor.

Running the tractor on unleaded gas is OK, we do it over here in the USA all the time now, as unleaded is the only thing we have here too.

As for the red light, I have no idea. That light is not on any of the MF tractors I've had. The only thing I can think of is that where this tractor was originally sold, you may have had different lighting requirements (high and low beam, for instance) that required an indicator.

#6 ·
Welcome to GTTalk. Nice looking MF12. If you could post some pictures of the dash with the light it might help. If you can figure out how it is wired that should tell you it's purpose.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum! Good looking tractor. Does the light stay on all the time?

#9 ·
Woaw !

Very animated forum.Thank you all for your replies . I didn't expect so many answers and in such short time .

First of all please excuse my english , sometimes I make mistakes .

Regarding the red light the wire is missing and the original owner didn't know it's function.

And the hole under the red light ?

Today I bought a brand new Bosch battery 12V/45Amp.The head lights have high and low beam , you can switch off/low/high from the dash.

I have another 2 hours work to install the seat . Some pictures in a few hours .

Keep in touch.

#10 ·
Update.

I have finished to instal the seat (taken from my homemade tractor)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

and installed the new battery .

Bumper Gas Motor vehicle Machine Automotive exterior

A little clean-up and is time for photosession :

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Tractor Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Another picture of the dash where you can see better the red light and the hole with something missing:

Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Steering part Steering wheel

After I downloaded Massey MF10 - MF12 Service Manual (thank you very much NUTNDUN :wave: )

I tried to download MF10 & MF Operator Manual but I got this answer :"You have exceeded the maximum amount of bandwidth allotted to you by the administrator for the day". I guess is a forum rule or something.

Keep in touch.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Update !

My custom fuel tank has arrived from the craftsman two days ago. I painted it and fabricated two metal strips for mounting . I mounted a tank cap that I cut from an old ATV fuel tank . The cap have a kind of pressure valve.

Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas

Red Gas Motor vehicle Fender Auto part

Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

Reading the serial no. it seems that my MF12 is made in year 1975 .

Stupid question :Where is the screw for oil change ? :thank_you:

Keep in touch .

Attachments

#15 ·
Yes , the engine oil . I found the drain plug , the engine is very dirty and I hardly spot it . And the new one I supose I put it in the pipe near the engine , where I check the oil level , dipstick - am I correct ?
Yes, but it may want to not settle all at once. Pour in the recommended amount slowly and let it settle down, then check as normal.

#16 ·
Update !
Reading the serial no. it seems that my MF12 is made in year 1975 .
Thanks for the update. I never had to research my serial number because I have the owners manual with the purchase date written in the back page. My 12G is also a 1975.

Later---DAC

#17 ·
At last , my AGCO belts have arrived from USA - long way .

This week-end I want to change the belts and tune-up the varidrive.

Just finish installing the fuel filter .

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

And for the long winter that is comming - the customising of the dash : revmeter , fuel level , voltmeter and ampermeter . The ampermeter is indicating the current consumption (amps.) not the charging of the battery .And the joysticks for the heavyduty actuators for the 3 way hitch (cat.0) from behind and a small frontloader - in the distant future .

Gauge Watch Measuring instrument Font Gas
Telephone Wood Metal Automotive lighting Hardwood

Keep in touch .

Attachments

#18 ·
I finally changed the belts and tune-up the varidrive . The brake shoe is worn-out and in Park position the tractor is moving .Can I find this brake shoe or band somethere or I have to do somekind of invention to change the material ?

I began to work at the 3 points hitch :

Wood Automotive tire Font Soil Metal
Plant Wood Grass Natural material Home fencing

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Bumper Electrical supply
Wood Gas Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Machine

Wood Gas Tints and shades Room Plant

Keep in touch .

Attachments

#20 ·
Lookin great! Keep the updates coming!

#22 ·
Brake band material is NLA as far as I know here. You may have to make something work.
There have been a couple of threads on "The Other Forum" where guys have used rivets and JBweld to replace the brake band material on Sears SS12 brake bands. A search on: brake band ss12 will bring them up. The actual material came from McMaster Carr. There must be something equivalent in Europe.

Judging by the comments it seens to have been an effective replacement.

#25 ·
The 3pt first will be manual and then I'll put a 12V heavyduty actuator . First I have to finish the 3pt. I have a little problem . I have to cut in the middle the toolbox under the seat in the back for the upper hitch point and I'm not very happy .

The varidrive is working fine now , it took me 4 hours . You have to understand it if you want to tune it .It was tricky until I found the point where the varidrive in Park was disengage the primary belt and the brake was working (I'm not sure if I made myself understood) . So I discovered that the band in the brake shoe was worn-out .The shims at the variable speed pulley were in the outside becouse the old belt was worn so I had to put the shims inside the pulley in order to keep the idler pulley level down so it don't touch the step plate . Did you understand anything ? - I'm not sure that my (technical) English is very good .

Anybody can help me with a Repair Manual for MF12G. It seems that I cannot acces the AGCO manuals from my zone (Romania).At the left wheel I have a leaking and the wheel has a little play in the hub .

How can I check and change the transmission oil ?

Keep in touch .

#26 ·
Your technical English is good. No problem here, understanding what

you did.

There is a repair manual in the Massey section on this site. Here is the link.

You can download from here, but there are restrictions as to how many per day, until

your post count reaches a certain level. I'm not sure of the specifics, but I'm sure

they are detailed here somewhere.

Do a search in the Massey section here. there was conversation not too long

ago about hubs that have play, and several good ideas on how to fix.

Font Rectangle Circle Writing Number

Looking forward to seeing the hitch operate.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.