Garden Tractor Forums banner

Mf 10 Engine Surge

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  DanP 
#1 ·
I have a MF 10 that has a bad engine surge when it idles. I have taken the carb apart many times and cleaned it to a point I don't think it can be cleaned any more. It was not that bad to begin with. I have put a new service nozzle in so I know that is not the problem.

The one thing I have not done is made any adjustments to the govenor. I have read the manual on that but have not tried adjusting it yet.

Any ideas?

Anybody ever try to adapt another brand carb on a TECH?

#4 ·
Is it just idling up and down - will it idle if you hold the throttle against the idle stop?

Or does it cut out and surge back to life when the governor opens the throttle?

I'm struggling with a few Tecumseh motors that won't idle. They won't run on the idle circuit.

Trying to figure that out, I read online that the bowl nut has a small hole that needs to line up with a notch on the tube. If the gasket is compressed too much, this might be a problem. I haven't had a chance to test this theory.

#5 ·
#12 ·
Yes I have checked and rechecked the float. I have the new plastic float and there is no tab to bend so I have filed the float valve to get the right distance. This was a new motor that has been sitting in a box for 20 years. Nothing is worn on it.

#17 ·
Well I took all your ideas and did them all and still no luck. I did clean the idle jets out with a tag wire and that did not help either. So I went to this lawn mower shop where there is an old timer that has worked on engines since the one lungers. He said to take it off and smash it with a hammer, those were the worst carbs ever made. He did say they are very hard to clean and he had an ultrasonic cleaner that he uses and it works very well. He also said to go back and screw the jet in and out a few times and maybe it would break loose anything that was in there.

So I went home started it up and idled it, I screwed the idle jet in and out about 1 turn each way and all of a sudden it started to work great. Now it idles just fine and has full throttle just fine. Go figure. Experience is worth so much, I think I owe him a $20 the next time I am over there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.