Garden Tractor Forums banner

End Of An Era

1K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  wvbuzzmaster 
#1 ·
Today my friend at the scrap yard retired and the gates to the yard closed with that. Therefore no more scrap yard deals in my future. The last few times I went there I never found much if anything anyways. I think all the good scrap in the county already came home with me lol. Anyhow, with the end of this era came the final hurrah for me. I saved my last items from the scrap yard and it was not without a fight (me versus machine). A gravely 812 came in last week and it had wheel weights on it. I was going to save it all until I saw it wasn't really worth my time. It had fell off the truck before it had got to the scales and broke a few castings, bent some of the stuff left, and add the subtraction of some of the components it was not worth loading up (needed expensive repairs). However, I wanted those wheel weights. Long story short it took right about an hour to get them off the tractor and I paid 22 dollars for the pair. They are still in the back of my truck and I worked very hard to get them off of the tractor. By the way, anyone got a clue what they are worth?

#3 ·
By the way, I never seen any other wheel weights like these, they are cast iron and around 50 pounds each. They have 4 notches around the perimeter for mounting bolts. They step in the middle and the dead center is a square hole about an inch across or something. I will have to take pics tomorrow.

#5 ·
We can look at the closure of the scrap yard two ways:

First being, dang! There goes a good business that the economy needs.

Second is that there will be no more tractors crushed up there!

Ben W.

Reactions: wvbuzzmaster
#13 ·
I ran out of cab space for the empty bottles lol. I was going to get the weights out but I couldn't reach them.... I rolled them in the bed off the tailgate when loading them and the dang things rolled all the way to the front of the bed before falling over lol.

#14 ·
I ran out of cab space for the empty bottles lol. I was going to get the weights out but I couldn't reach them.... I rolled them in the bed off the tailgate when loading them and the dang things rolled all the way to the front of the bed before falling over lol.
All ya gotta do is take a turn at a good speed and they will be at one side or the other (depending on the direction of the turn)!

#16 ·
This is also a trick. For those of you who have not been fortunate enough to meet Casey, with his height and arm length, he could reach the one on the right side from the left side of the truck.
That would be a neat trick, since there is a cap on the bed.

Casey, you're not giving us much to go on. Bite the bullet, clean the paint off, show us the markings from the casting, and then we can help. Oh, wait, by then you'll know for sure yourself! :rolling: :rolling:

RS_11_Tiller.jpg

Reactions: wvbuzzmaster
#17 ·
Open tailgate. Back truck up. Slam on brakes. Weights will come out willingly.

Dislcalimer: Uncle Willie LLC is under no obligation of liability for anyone taking bad advice. Any resulting damage from flying wheel weights or drink bottles is solely the OPs responsibility. SO is removing the wheel weights from the back wall of your living room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.