Garden Tractor Forums banner

Winter Storm Watch Is Cancelled...no Seat Time Again

4K views 100 replies 25 participants last post by  Newpaws493 
#1 ·
then I read a little more;

The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a blizzard
watch... which is in effect from Friday morning through Saturday
afternoon. The Winter Storm Watch has been cancelled.

* Locations... much of eastern Massachusetts as well as northern and
central Rhode Island. This includes the Boston to Providence
corridor.

* Hazard types... heavy snow with the potential for blizzard
conditions.

* Accumulations... snow accumulation of 12 to 24 inches. :rocker2:

* Timing... light snow develops by Friday morning. Snow will
increase intensity during Friday afternoon. The heaviest snow
will occur Friday night into Saturday morning.

* Impacts... heavy snow and strong winds will bring the potential
for blizzard conditions. The worst of the storm will be Friday
night into Saturday morning.

Snowfall rates of 2 to 3 inches per hour possible. :rolling:

Travel may become nearly impossible with blowing
and drifting snow.

* Winds... northeast 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 55 mph. [Glad I have a cab] :smilewink:

* Visibilities... one quarter mile or less at times.

* Temperatures... in the mid 20s.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A blizzard watch means there is a potential for considerable
falling and/or blowing snow with sustained winds or frequent
gusts over 35 mph and visibilities below 1/4 mile for at least
3 hours. White out conditions will be possible... making travel
very dangerous. Be prepared to alter any travel plans.

Looks like I might get a little seat time after-all :thumbs: :D

See less See more
#6 ·
John, It's forecast to get us after it's done with you in Cape Cod. We have a warning issued this afternoon as well. Up to 40 cm of snow and winds. Friday night and all day Saturday! We'll see. If the forecast holds this will be the biggest snow storm we've had in years.

Reactions: John@Reliable
#7 ·
If they're close to accurate, it'll be like worth the wait we've had and maybe enough to be careful what we wish fer. Swapped out old fuel tank for new one & filled. Will check other fluids and knock the dust off plow & snowcaster...For a newb this could get interesting... :tapping_fingers:

#8 ·
A least I have the Jac with plow ready. I keep trying to go out and assemble my K301 so I can try the Blower on the Jac 1200. But every time I go out to the shop I get even more dizzy and nauseous then I already am.

I am right on the line for 10"-18" or 18"-25". They are saying we might get snow then rain/sleet then snow again ( I hope not!) the 35-65 mph winds sure will make this interesting.

We will all have to see how this plays out. Just stay warm and safe everyone!

#9 ·
John, how about sending some of that snow south-west, we are forgetting what it looks like. That forcast for y'all is kind of mean sounding.

Have fun if you get it but stay safe.

Now which is it, is it cancelled or is it on.

Dick
Dick, they cancelled the winter storm watch, and replaced it with blizzard watch.

Wow, is that forecast from 1976?

Be safe, and get your seat time.

Oh, and don't forget pics. :D
Think you mean 1978, today is when it started back in '78 This photo is a major highway south of Boston Car Tire Snow Vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

#15 ·
This will be my 1st big storm since I moved back to RI. I have my snowblower ready and bush hog with snowblower attachment ready, the plow still isn't ready, but I hope will be ready by next year.

Stay safe everyone, I doubt I'll be going to work on Friday, or if anything, only for a few hours, so I'll have plenty of time to clean on the 3 day weekend.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
And where are your pics???. Hmmm???

You could make one of those your avatar...
Don't get him started. He changes that enough!!

I remember 78 real well. The snow along the roads was over the cab. I drove home from Indianapolis 2 days after it hit and everything was still shut down. I-70 looked like a ghost highway with trucks and cars stoped in the road and snow drifted up around them.

#21 ·
We just had an automated call from our Police department (1st time ever) Warning that this storm is going to be a Historic event! And saying to prepare for wide spread long lasting power outages etc...I think I will get some seat time lol.

:biting_nails:

#24 ·
The blizzard of 78 I had to jump out the second story window just to get to the door to shovel it out! Drifts were 8-14' deep in spots.... no power for a week, and we had critters to feed and tend too, thank god they were in the barn. Took a day and a half to shovel a path to the shop to get to the Trojan 2000 pay loader to clean the yard and driveway!! What a mess that was. I was just 12 then.

#25 ·
The blizzard of 78 I had to jump out the second story window just to get to the door to shovel it out! Drifts were 8-14' deep in spots.... no power for a week, and we had critters to feed and tend too, thank god they were in the barn. Took a day and a half to shovel a path to the shop to get to the Trojan 2000 pay loader to clean the yard and driveway!! What a mess that was. I was just 12 then.
That was a fun one for me, I was 8 and it was over my head lol. And it was the same at our house the drifts blocked all the doors and my Dad had to go out the window too.. I sure hope it isn't like that one this time. If it is wake me up in the spring :D

#26 ·
The Weather Channel is giving a 10/10 and into full coverage mode. I'm sure some won't be able to post later due to power outage, but check in as soon as you can. Might want to exchange phone #'s with someone out of the effected area just so you MIGHT be able to call and let them know you are okay. Best of luck to you all up there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.