Garden Tractor Forums banner

Hard Starting Scotts Lawn Tractor

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JRJ 
#1 ·
I have a Scotts 1742 that is starting hard lately. They say it's made by Deere and I do have to go to the JD dealer to get parts. I forgot the year, 2002 maybe? This is my mowing machine. I also use it to tow a cart. Normally I push the throttle lever all the way forward to choke and turn the key. It starts and I back off on the lever. Now, this is what has been happening. I push the lever, crank, nothing. As it's cranking, I back the lever and when it is all the way back to idle, it fires for a couple of seconds. I do this about 10 times and suddenly it will run and I can throttle it up. Help please?
Robert

#2 ·
The choke linkage may not be working right. You need to inspect the whole throttle and choke linkage and check how well it works. I have the same tractor and service manual, but don't have a way to down load it. Its about 100 pages. If you have specific questions I will look them up for you. Excuse my old memory but, you should also check that fuel is getting to the card and that it is clean. Dirt or water in the tank, filter, or carb might cause the same symptoms.

G
#3 · (Edited)
I have had a few briggs twins act like this. It ended up being a weak/ dirty fuel pump.

1 trick to get them running it the short term: pull the breather cover and choke it. cover the hole in the choke plate with your finger while cranking. This will help prime the fuel pump.

#4 ·
This may be an obvious question but all to often I get "no" for an answer. Have you checked the air cleaner, spark plug, fuel filter? The next thing is with the air cleaner off is the choke actually working?

#5 ·
The choke is working, the air cleaner is somewhat dirty and the fuel filter is pretty dirty.
Since it is past time to service it anyway, I will try replacing the air filter and gas filter. I have a tank of ethenol gas to burn thrrough it first since I don't have a shut-off installed. Maybe I will install a shut-off also. I found ehenol free nearby so I emptied the gas can into the mower about a week ago and filled the can with real gas. I found my manual on the JD site. I had it somewhere but may have been on a different computer. I could upload it but not sure what section I should put it in.

#6 ·
I just take a pair of forceps and clamp off the fuel line change out the fuel filter and then open the line again. You can get forceps from HF cheap. I would do the cheap obvious things first, like the fuel filter, making sure the carburetor is working correctly. You didn't mention about the spark plug, how does it look? They are cheap and I have seen them do some funky things so I'd replace it.

What happens if you spray carburetor cleaner down the throat of the carburetor and then try to crank it?

#7 ·
Forceps. Thanks Bill, I should have thought of that. I once used vise grips on a 72 Chevy Impalla on a front brake line so we could continue driving it till we could get the new one. (not recommending that) We only had to go back to pick them up once when I had to hit the brakes hard and fast.
I think I have a replacement plug so I will try that too. I started it with starting fluid. I had to spray it in 3 or 4 times before it stayed running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.