Garden Tractor Forums banner

Mf Elf Resto Started.

56K views 548 replies 40 participants last post by  IamSherwood 
#1 ·
Finally, the Elf landed in my shop the other day, and I've started tearing it down.
No problems with taking it apart so far, other than I keep grabbing the wrong wrenches.
It's metric.
Steering wheel came off easy. (not like the other MFs)
It's actually real easy to work on. Everything is accessible.

Aside from the usual things to fix, like steering bushings, ball joints, etc, a couple major
issues have to be dealt with. Firstly, rebuilding the butchered up engine pan part of the
frame. I'll just cut that mess off, and make a new one and weld it on. The reason the
pan is all butchered up like that, is because PO repowered it, but did a poor job.
Part of rebuilding the frame, will include relocating the engine and clutch farther back so
everything fits in the available space.

Rear fender pan will have to be replaced. It too was butchered up to suit PO's needs. (whatever
that was) I'll have to get a sheet metal shop to bend that up for me.

Here are a few pics of things, so far.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Yellow Asphalt Road surface

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Oh, yes, that front axle, is a solid casting.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like good progress. We never got your lift built, but it looks like you improvised.

#14 ·
Yes, a few things done differently. Studs and nuts, not bolts. Not everywhere, but in places, where a bolt would be fine.
Galvanized bolts and nuts and studs. And really small cotter pins.
That front end is kinda neat. The tie rod ends, have a slip collar over the ball. So, disconnect the steering rod. Remove the
snap pin on the axle pivot, and voila, in 3 minutes, you've got the whole front end up on the bench. No excuses, for not greasing
those bearings.

#11 ·
Completely torn down yesterday. Time to start cleaning everything, and fixing things as I go.

Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Rim Amber

Rear wheels are adjustable in width. About 3" per side. The red plate is secured to the
hex axle. By turning the red bolt head, the hub slides along the axle. There is a bolt on the
back side of the hub to then clamp the hub to the axle.

Wood Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Composite material

Bottom side of butchered up engine pan. PO added those angles, after he weakened the
frame, by chopping it up. Hmmm
Also, front axle pivot pin is bent.

Automotive tire Wood Automotive lighting Tire Automotive wheel system

Twist on front wheel dust covers. I thought that was kinda neat. Never seen that before.

Wood Gas Engineering Motor vehicle Machine

Tranny is all cleaned up, ready for paint. Just gotta wire wheel the hex axles yet, and decide if
I want them black or yellow. I took the shifter cover off to have a peak inside. It's not new in there,
but not bad, for almost 50 years. It's very heavy too.

Attachments

#12 ·
That's a totally different animal there! It'll be fun watching how you attack each issue. Have fun, Will!

#18 ·
Yesterday aft/evening, I tackled the frame rebuild. It took a bit longer than I
figured, but I'm happy with the outcome. I used 1" shaft collars for the pivot pin. The
bushings in the axle are worn, so I'll make 1" ID x ____ metric ones.

Wood Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Auto part
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle
Wood Chair Gas Flooring Hardwood

Wood Gas Machine Composite material Workbench

Attachments

#27 ·
I'm not sure about those holes in the frame. They weren't part of the repower.
I've seen some pictures where there was shields/guards bolted on, but any parts diagrams I've seen don't show that.

I couldn't find a plain helmet last year, when I bought that, so I decided to be patriotic. But, you've choosen to be
a flame!!Hmm

#26 ·
I'm sure he can get you the decals to put on yours to help you out. But, be advised, they are expensive!

Reactions: MH81
#28 ·
You are making great progress, Will.
Too bad the "Elves" wouldn't come in at night and fix it all up for you like they did with the "shoemaker".

Reactions: IamSherwood
#29 ·
It looks like the rebuild is off to a great start Will! I have a fantasy style skull and flames on the side of my hood LOL! It depends on the day as to whether or not it helps with the skill though.

#31 ·
It's the rod that makes the difference. 7014. My favorite.
As for the helmut, if I get bored one day this winter, I might paint it yellow, and put some MF decals on it.

Big exciting day today.
ELF's head lights arrived. I started looking for a good set, back in April. Finally got some off
Germany ebay, 3 weeks ago.

Automotive lighting Insect Wood Floor Flooring
Watch Wood Automotive lighting Flooring Floor

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.