Garden Tractor Forums banner

Planet Jr. Drill Seeder

19K views 54 replies 11 participants last post by  jimmy G 
#1 ·
With spring around the corner and the acquisition of the Handiman seeder i pulled out my Planet Jr. no. 4, compleatly dissasembled, freeded up and reassembled, someday i will paint it and put on new handles.
It has the external hopper opener mounted and 2 more bolted to the rotted handle.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Have made the cut-out handles for several PJ's, i prefer hickory but it is very hard and expensive to find one straight grained, i have a row marker and bar from a parts drill seeder.
The all original one pictured is compleat, the dirt is still on the furrow shoe after i planted.
Thank you for offering the mesurements.

#5 ·
This is an unknown drill seeder i restored a few years ago, all cast aluminum with seed plates, i think the maker's name was on the hopper lid which was missing, i made the current one.

Attachments

Reactions: DB1
#7 ·
If you are talking about the one with the original handles then yes, the previous owner did a good job twisting the no 9 wire down tight and has not moved.

#11 ·
On the Planet unit, ,,,,,i would touch it, it looks very orginal the way it is. If im seeing it right you have one good one and a parts one right?

I have a #4 here with 2 star wheels, but i never use it, as its only half the seeder that the 300A is. I have 2 300A's, and at one time had a Planet frame work that fit the rear of a JD "L" tractor, that was 3 rows of 300's with marker arms. I traded it to my brother one time for something else i thought i needed at the time. Those star wheels are double side on mine, you turn it over to get another drill spacing, ie, the 6 will do 3 or the back side and the 4 will do 2. Also the #4 is the same as a #25, both are set to use as a wheel hoe with a single or double front wheel, and a lot of tooling for slicing and dicing any weed. I think the #25 is more of a commerical unit, like the 300A was.

On the other seeder, I know what it is but cant think of the name right off. It might be a Standard or an Acme, but i'll have to look it up this weekend. You could just send it out here and ill do a 5 yr trial and test on it, lol. Nice lid you made on that one.

#13 ·
The unknown seeder was something i never seen before and kept it, im shure the paint is wrong, i don't think the aluminum was painted but i painted it all anyways to preserve it untill i found a original one,
I had several no. 4 drill seeders, the nice one is all original right down to the paint but is only for show and is being repaced with the rusty one pictured which needed some parts, I don't want to ruin the nicer no 4.
Im still looking for a no 4 tool bar to come my way, i have a lot of the cultivators, furrow, plow, the tool bar was a cast piece made only to mount to the no 25 and no 4.
I thought about a 300A or the Model B91-92B with the floating cradle bracket but i don't Market Garden, the no 4 is just right for a small garden, the market farm i worked at used these seeders, 300As and the Cole multiflex fer/planter, all of which preformed well.

#17 ·
This is my Planet Jr. No. 11 Double Wheeled Cultivator. It only says Planet Jr. on it. U.S.A. is not mentioned on this piece. This leads me to believe it is from the late 1800's.The wooden handles are painted a light green. I don't know if the paint is original to the piece.

Thanks Jesse for creating this Planet Jr. thread. Your doing a fine job of giving the information on these.

Attachments

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Many thanks for that Candy.
Before i put the brochure in order i will help you first.
This is your 2-wheel push plow, A no. 11 late 1880's to 1890's, the model was continued well into the 1900's as overstock while the the no. 13 was being built .
http://www.smokstak....ad.php?t=101674

I think your's has been re-painted is no decal was found on the handles, usually the handles were lacquered with the steam bent ones (culti handles/walk behind) painted a dark red.
The no. 11's were painted the dark hunter green not the lighter green seen on the lator models like my no. 4 seeder.

Attachments

Reactions: DB1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.