Garden Tractor Forums banner

Brought This Home For Free Today

3K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  Nascar3244888 
#1 ·
Well the local auto mechanic asked me if I wanted an old Bolens 1600 Hydro Eliminator....and well......how could I say no......So I brought it home today, its pretty rough but after sitting for 6 years in a barn what do you expect.... Heres what I did in a half hr after taking the pics im including....drained the gas, put new gas in, shot some oil down the 16hp opposed twin's spark plug holes, actually getting the original 2004 battery to crank on its own power so that I could hopefully spread some oil in the engine so it if it starts it not a dry start, checked for spark which it had, checking the oil which was full...black but full....cleaned some of the acid off the battery terminals, and finally after all that....SHE FIRED RIGHT UP!!! Hydro works good, engine runs a little rough which is from needing a carb kit or just a cleaning, but it does operate at all rpms. Speed Control works, the amp gauge shows a good charge, and the pto was said to be bad but with the key turned on it does click on and off with the switch so im not sure yet. Besides that the lights dont work but I havent checked into that yet, but I did give it a fresh oil change, new plugs, and a new air filter and fuel filter. Just need a carb clean or rebuild. As far as the deck im not sure if its a 42 or 48 but it is a rear discharge which i have never seen or had before. The one spindle seemed loose but all were very free and the deck is fine just some surface rust but it is solid (like the tractor ) also, all the labels that give you a model number are worn off. All in all it needs some work but mechanically its great!! Heres some pics, video to come.....enjoy!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#17 ·
lol, yes a big sigh, LOL

#16 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone!! I do believe it will be a great tractor. The first video I am going to put up soon is one i took right when i brought it home, and the second is after I just got it running so hopefully they will be up today!!

#18 ·
Nice score! Glad it started up for you. Good Luck with it!

#20 ·
Heres the first video: Took this one right after I brought it home...

#23 ·
Just cleaned the carb its running pretty good now, as far as the deck i got a chance to measure it and it is infact a 48"

#22 ·
I would say you got a great deal on that one. Always helps to have more eyes than our own looking for new treasures.

#26 ·
Heres the second vid, once i got it running....

Reactions: Toolpartzman
#28 ·
If it's free, what's not to like? What a steal deal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.