Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 07:10 AM

Well it IS Deere season.:shoot3::shoot3:

Yep its Deer season here too, but they dont' HUNT them. They AMBUSH 'em.:bigrofl:

Edited by Toolpartzman, December 19, 2011 - 03:56 AM.
Miss-spelled ambush

#17 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 02:34 PM

.--Huuum? with the frame balanced correctly, it might just work and I have my M12 ready to try it out---I'll let you know. ( If you don't hear back from me in a couple days, will somebody come a get it off me?) :madhop:

Gladly...if I can take it with me, when I leave ! :D

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hope you made friends with dstaggs, he's about the closest to you.

#19 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 03:56 AM

OK. I'm ready to tackle this project today. Yesterday,I had to install my starter in the shop stove and finish winterizing the shop ,but that gave me time to think about this project. Design perameters are as follows due to my particular needs and as it goes any input/suggestions are welcome.( and probably necessary )

1) device must lift as well as rotate a GT frame & components to 600lbs
2) Must be sufficiently stable to accommodate load changes during
any assembly/removal of attached components. (i.e. to function beyond just
being a cleaning/painting station)
3) Lift function will be either pneumatic or hydraulic.
4) Rotation of +/- 90 degrees from horizontal is sufficient and manual.
5) Must be somewhat portable/convenient to store.
6) Must be cheap and mostly use components I have on hand. Target: <$100

I expect the attachment points to vary greatly dependent on the particular GT
frame being worked.

That done, I'll get ready to start the fire and begin the head scratching.----LeeB:D

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 06:46 AM

Looking forward to this, sounds like a fun build.

#21 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 11:37 AM

After searching the net and "borrowing" what I found to be the best points of several designs I came up with this.

The idea is to make it portable with fixed casters on one end and swivel castors on the other.

The length will be adjustable to fit everything I have from the Yard-Man 600 to the George Workbird's frame which is about 6 1/2' long.

I am planning on using adapters on each end similar to those on most engine stands.

I donit have much steel big enough to use on hand except parts and pieces of the old engine hoist so it will end up costing about $200 for materials.

In the end it should be close to what I have here but surely will be modified as needed.

Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• Rotesserie end view sketch.jpg
  • Rotisserie Adjuster sketch 1.jpg
  • Rotesserie top view sketch 1.jpg

Edited by golfwrench, December 18, 2011 - 11:47 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#22 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 04:08 AM

After searching the net and "borrowing" what I found to be the best points of several designs I came up with this.

The idea is to make it portable with fixed casters on one end and swivel castors on the other.

The length will be adjustable to fit everything I have from the Yard-Man 600 to the George Workbird's frame which is about 6 1/2' long.

I am planning on using adapters on each end similar to those on most engine stands.

I donit have much steel big enough to use on hand except parts and pieces of the old engine hoist so it will end up costing about $200 for materials.

In the end it should be close to what I have here but surely will be modified as needed.

Bill

Thats very close to what I had in mind. When I dragged out my old engine stand, I remembered that it wasn't very stout and getting the weight centered was somewhat precarious. I found the ideal piece at an auto shop but they wouldn't sell it. Exactly the shape of your dwg. (side lift) It was a Walker bumper jack. outer wheels about a foot apart with w/ hyd. lift about 3ft. & the legs extended approximately 18" forward (to slide under the GT frame). Those had a scissor lift base and the top of the frame (load -contact point) was adjustable to approx. 4ft-certainly enough for stability and strong enough to fabricate a swivel.---I'll try to get back there and get a photo. In the meantime, I'm trying to find one.------:D

#23 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 08:52 PM

Not specifically for a GT, but there are several commercial and home made ones on the web for cars. I looked at several plans and discussions several years ago when I was thinking about making one for a car restore.
Perhaps you could use the wheel hubs (take off the tires and make adapter plates to fit over the wheel studs) as the mounting points? That way you could mount most tractors as long as you could adjust the wheelbase and width.

#24 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 04:58 AM

There are 2 0r 3 for sale on Ebay when searching for bumper jack. An Ajax 1.5 ton in VA and a snap-on in Louisville. Have no idea how to post a link but the item # for the Ajax is 370568566386. There are numerous makers of this style. Some hyd. , some air over hyd. What I had floating in my head was exactly like these for both a jack function and the "roll" the frame around its long axis. You'd have to fab. something centered over a "hinge-type" mount,fabricated to fit onto the jack lift pads. The frame would be limited to + 90 and -90 degree swings since the contact points are below the frame (thus interferring with a 360 degree roll) but I felt it was a workable trade-off in order for it to lift as well as rotate. The face of the engine stand, with drilled -tube-in-tube plates, would provide a design clue as how to pin the rotating action.

Also these jacks are heavy but mobile and provide good stability, and a low profile for sliding under the GT.---Just thinking aloud.