#1 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7469
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 01:11 AM

So....

Last year the snow was so deep here, ends of my driveways were about 5ft tall most of the winter from plows going by. People who were plowing snow from their driveways, by means of truck mounted, tractor mounted, even ATV mounted, all just got a kick in the rear end.

New city ordinance effective this year.

No person(s) removing snow from their property may deposit said snow on either city property or property not owned by the person doing the removal.

Basically if you plow it across the street and pile it up you get ticketed. You have to either plow it into your yard or your allow to put it on the street and then work it back onto the right of way on your side of the street, but it must be removed from public/city property. So if you plow it out you have to push it back up over the curb on your side of the street.

Fines aren't looking good for violations either. I had to chew out a neighbor twice last year for piling snow next to my one driveway, made it harder to do my cleanup when he put a pile on the travel side of the driveway, when the city plow came past it pushed the whole works into the end of my driveway. So what did i do? I blew my driveway out and blew it all across the street back into his driveway!! LOL

Anyway, seems too many people causing problems last year like this so now we have a new ordinance. Won't be no trouble for us snowblower owners, i always blow it up onto the yard on either side of the driveway making some nice piles that just melt away in the spring. Should also make me some money blowing out the driveways that were being done by some guys with plows! :D

#2 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Thing is, most property owners dont own the land at the bottom of their driveways, a few feet from the road is city owned....Who owns that snow?.....Just tell them to come and clean up their own mess.......See ya in the spring

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 06:54 AM

My wife has thought me nuts for years. I plow part of the road too. I have it just about figured out where to start to keep them from filling my drive. Wife's flower bed gets lots of nitrogen with the extra snow. If there's salt in it, I go to the pile in the yard, but we get salted about last... Dead end street.

#4 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 06:10 PM

I own to the street edge, no curb up front, and to the curb on the side of the lot.

The city has a "right of way" which allows them use of the area between the sidewalk and the street if they need to install utilities, cables, gas lines, etc. But its still owned by me.

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 06:19 PM

The town I live it doesn't even own a plow. They use backhoe's instead. The county plows the main road.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 09:58 PM

I plow mine off to the sides of my driveway. When I get to the end, I either push it clear across the street, up over the berm on the other side of the road, and into the drainage ditch, or turn around and push it back into the yard on my side. I have never pushed it into the road and left it for the Township plows. There are many reasons for that too. They have the big directional plows that throw the snow 10 feet forward and 15 feet to the side! I'd have to plow half the road to keep it from coming back into the driveway! Another reason is that they plow my road LAST! If I piled it up out there, I'd have to drive through it for at least a day before they cleared it! In the end, I guess it's just what Mama taught me. If it's your mess, you clean it up!
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 11:16 PM

Just one more reason I LOVE TEXAS.

#8 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 02:15 AM

No offense to Texas... But what does that have to do with anything?? LOL

I see Texas is getting snow also!

#9 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 07:26 AM

If you got kids, take the clean snow off the drive and try to put it in a pile on the corner of the drive. They love to dig in it like the little gophers they are.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 08:02 AM

I see Texas is getting snow also!

But it sure goes away fast all on it's own.

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 08:29 AM

When we get snow I usually roll over and go back to sleep, then by the time I get up it is gone! :sleep: This is one thing I'm grateful for not having to deal with and the few times we have had a big snow fall it becomes a holiday and a family gathering.

I guess thought like anything else if you have the right equipment it's not that bad.

#12 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 11:39 AM

I have three kids, and they all enjoy playing in the snow. I usually get a good pile built up for them and they start making forts and tunnels. Its quite fun watching them do it.

#13 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 12:03 PM

When we lived in NY there were town ordinances like that. I remember dad going nose to nose with a sheriff's deputy for pushing acrossed a county road. There wasn't even a driveway over there, just a hay field. It was an issue for the commercial guys too, especially when clearing residential drives with finicky homeowners. Generally we'd push into the street, then get the pile when leaving... just lifting the blade a little at a time, spreading it thin for the town boys. After all, it is thier snow :poke: