3 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 10:34 PM

Rained all day yesterday and they are not predicting temps over 32 for the next week.
So I went out in the rain and picked the last 6 heads of cabbage.
They withstood some temps down in the 20's but we had temps above freezing during the day. They really are a cold weather crop.
That's it till spring!

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 07:55 AM

I guess being in zone 5 it must be enough of a difference then where I'm at in Pa. where zone 6 . Most years I was done early but the last few I've been trying to keep the garden maybe not growing but alive to pick some things . Last night I picked a few small shoots of broccoli , brussel sprouts , carrots and swiss chard . Have some lettuce growing under row covers too but didn't any last night . Have you tried anything as far as "season extenders " ? Al

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:41 AM

It's been a very strange year!! I planted Cabbage, Broccli and Califlower in late August for a fall crop. The Cabbage did pretty well and Jo found a small top of broccli when she took out the table scraps yesterday. I did not make any low hoops this year so they have been totally exposed to the elements this year I will next year. Next Year I'll put them out a month earlier. Normally in December I could not expect daytime temps to be above freezing this late.

#4 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:49 AM

i finally got mine tilled & laid a light bed of fall leaves over it 2 decompose over the winter. a good tillin come spring & i'll be ready again.....